+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Jesus exist? Court to decide

Default Did Jesus exist? Court to decide

Did Jesus exist? Court to decide

January 4, 2006

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Forget the U.S. debate over intelligent design versus evolution.

An Italian court is tackling Jesus -- and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

The case pits against each other two men in their 70s, who are from the same central Italian town and even went to the same seminary school in their teenage years.

The defendant, Enrico Righi, went on to become a priest writing for the parish newspaper. The plaintiff, Luigi Cascioli, became a vocal atheist who, after years of legal wrangling, is set to get his day in court later this month.

"I started this lawsuit because I wanted to deal the final blow against the Church, the bearer of obscurantism and regression," Cascioli told Reuters.

Cascioli says Righi, and by extension the whole Church, broke two Italian laws. The first is "Abuso di Credulita Popolare" (Abuse of Popular Belief) meant to protect people against being swindled or conned. The second crime, he says, is "Sostituzione di Persona," or impersonation.

"The Church constructed Christ upon the personality of John of Gamala," Cascioli claimed, referring to the 1st century Jew who fought against the Roman army.

A court in Viterbo will hear from Righi, who has yet to be indicted, at a January 27 preliminary hearing meant to determine whether the case has enough merit to go forward.

"In my book, 'The Fable of Christ,' I present proof Jesus did not exist as a historic figure. He must now refute this by showing proof of Christ's existence," Cascioli said.

Speaking to Reuters, Righi, 76, sounded frustrated by the case and baffled as to why Cascioli -- who, like him, came from the town of Bagnoregio -- singled him out in his crusade against the Church.

"We're both from Bagnoregio, both of us. We were in seminary together. Then he took a different path and we didn't see each other anymore," Righi said.

"Since I'm a priest, and I write in the parish newspaper, he is now suing me because I 'trick' the people."

Righi claims there is plenty of evidence to support the existence of Jesus, including historical texts.

He also claims that justice is on his side. The judge presiding over the hearing has tried, repeatedly, to dismiss the case -- prompting appeals from Cascioli.

"Cascioli says he didn't exist. And I said that he did," he said. "The judge will decide if Christ exists or not."

Even Cascioli admits that the odds are against him, especially in Roman Catholic Italy.

"It would take a miracle to win," he joked.

---
    Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.

Now that is a court case!
    IM A HIGH ROLLER ON A BUDGET!!

I never heard the outcome on this suit. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Interesting case, except he did exist. The controversy has been over whether he was this powerful super action hero, or just another loonie.

BUT he is suing because christianity is a big con. is there a cash settlement?
    Level 1 counts are a scam -JBlack-

http://www.whackjackexaminer.com

get a 21% discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
    Interesting case, except he did exist. The controversy has been over whether he was this powerful super action hero, or just another loonie.
    Niether, actually, but possibly either a single self-realized being, which is a rarety (one in half billion?) but not as rare as Christiandom would have it, and/or a compilation of two or more persons overlayed upon the recurring 'savior myth' - a new and improved version of a standard mythology.

See - Just a few of the OTHER "Saviors"
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Default JC vs Atheist

Never mind about JC, be aware of an Atheist. If you give an Atheist an inch at a time, he will get 12 inches sooner or later; then he becomes a "ruler" who rules the world. Hmm... was Hitler an Atheist or what...I can not recall because I get a senior moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Abenzio View Post
    Hmm... was Hitler an Atheist or what...I can not recall because I get a senior moment.
    No, Hitler was NOT an atheist. zg

Ps - Some of the most evolved atheists are Buddhists BTW. My favorite philospher Alan Watts used to call Buddhism "Atheism in the name of G-D.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Did Jesus exist? Court to decide

January 4, 2006

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Forget the U.S. debate over intelligent design versus evolution.

An Italian court is tackling Jesus -- and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

"The Church constructed Christ upon the personality of John of Gamala," Cascioli claimed, referring to the 1st century Jew who fought against the Roman army.
    D#mn, those first century Christians were even rarer geniuses than I formerly thought! Anyone who can concoct such a fascinating story that has captured the imagination of billions worldwide sure has my respect. If Christ doesn't exist, then I will follow this brilliant church of geniuses that made up the story!
    Last edited by aslan; January 12th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    D#mn, those first century Christians were even rarer geniuses than I formerly thought! Anyone who can concoct such a fascinating story that has captured the imagination of billions worldwide sure has my respect.
    Nonsense - the Savior Story was old and familiar by the time Yeshua was said to have lived. Mithra, Pythagoras, Horus, Krishna, and many more all claimed to an immaculate conception on 12/25... what are the odds?

Last edited by zengrifter; January 12th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Nonsense - the Savior Story was old and familiar by the time Yeshua was said to have lived. Mithra, Pythagoras, Horus, Krishna, and many more all claimed to an immaculate conception on 12/25... what are the odds?

You obviously don't understand the term "immaculate conception." It has nothing to do with Jesus; it is a reference to Mary, his Mother, and the date is September the eighth.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

It's amazing that people believe in an invisible man who is "up there". Sixty three percent of Americans believe in the existence of angels. I'm gonna guess that about sixty three percent of Americans believe Jesus Christ is going to return to Earth and Lee Harvey Oswald shot President John F. Kennedy.
    Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone,somewhere, may be happy"
    H.L.Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by prankster View Post
    It's amazing that people believe in an invisible man who is "up there". Sixty three percent of Americans believe in the existence of angels. I'm gonna guess that about sixty three percent of Americans believe Jesus Christ is going to return to Earth and Lee Harvey Oswald shot President John F. Kennedy.
    Man?
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Lord And Savior,Divine Spirit,Lord And God Almighty"
    Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone,somewhere, may be happy"
    H.L.Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    You obviously don't understand the term "immaculate conception." It has nothing to do with Jesus; it is a reference to Mary, his Mother, and the date is September the eighth.
    Yes, I meant born of virgin 12/25. It seems you cannot be a savior unless you were born 12/25 from immaculate conception. zg

Yes, I meant born of virgin 12/25. It seems you cannot be a savior unless you were born 12/25 from immaculate conception. zg
    The immaculate conception was the birth of Mary, not Jesus, since both of her parents were born into sin it would ordinarily be assumed that she also was born into sin like every other human being.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

+ Reply to Thread