+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sex and marriage with robots? It could happen

Default Sex and marriage with robots? It could happen

Robots soon will become more human-like in appearance, researcher says.

By Charles Q. Choi
    Special to LiveScience
    Updated: 3:05 p.m. MT Oct 12, 2007

Humans could marry robots within the century. And consummate those vows.

"My forecast is that around 2050, the state of Massachusetts will be the first jurisdiction to legalize marriages with robots," artificial intelligence researcher David Levy at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands told LiveScience. Levy recently completed his Ph.D. work on the subject of human-robot relationships, covering many of the privileges and practices that generally come with marriage as well as outside of it.

At first, sex with robots might be considered geeky, "but once you have a story like 'I had sex with a robot, and it was great!' appear someplace like Cosmo magazine, I'd expect many people to jump on the bandwagon," Levy said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21271545...5829?GT1=10450

dont look at me like that... biyatch
    Last edited by Brutus; October 13th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

I'd like a Cherry 2000. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Interesting ethical implications. Is it wrong to have sex with a robot? I honestly don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Interesting ethical implications. Is it wrong to have sex with a robot? I honestly don't know.
    I have never wasted that kind of thought even with any of the humans I've met.

At least these wont pop when you start to get a little rough with em. Im such a stud

Quote Originally Posted by jack,jackson View Post
    At least these wont pop when you start to get a little rough with em. Im such a stud
    or dial 911, when you come home half drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    or dial 911, when you come home half drunk.
    I accidentally put helium in my last one, and when I turned around she was gone. At first, I thought she had left me to, until I laid down for bed only to realize her staring at me floating on the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    obviously not.. if that were unethical, then having sex with ANY object would be unethical, because after all a robot is just an object.. and if your basing ethics off of what "god" has told you, then you will be forever confused.. go ask a priest if you can pound away on an robots, and bring along a picture of several robots you which to ask out on a date, aka purchase.. then when he starts laughing, be like, "you think this is funny? i dont laugh when you have sex with boys.."

I'm thinking of a robot endowed with artificial intelligence. I wonder who gets the Benz, the house and the country club membership if you decide to part ways? Now, if you can simply decommission (remove her chip) your robot, wow! that has possibilities!
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I'm thinking of a robot endowed with artificial intelligence. I wonder who gets the Benz, the house and the country club membership if you decide to part ways? Now, if you can simply decommission (remove her chip) your robot, wow! that has possibilities!
    I'm thinking about the hundreds of services a robot could perform. secretarial, endless emails, and sales support. domestic chores, kitchen duties carried out perfectly.

my current situation would not allow me bringing home gals for companionship and pleasure. much less encourage that kind of behavior. but a life-like robot might be programmed to break the ice for me. (if you know what i mean... and i think you do)

yes kids I'm talking about a 3-way, with the robot being the main protagonist. why even worry about the robot's needs? she doesnt have any that you dont give her.

for that matter, why tell the real gal that the robot is not a real chick?

I could think of worse ways of spending an evening.

i dont like the word robot, because that makes you think of c3po and such.. the picture of the "doll" above already exists, and cost about $600.. its made of hi-tech materials, which feel and react like real skin/fat.. of course they dont move on their own, but they are cool in that you cant just bend them any way you want, meaning they actually have joints, and i think they weigh 40-100 pounds too.. these things arent only for losers, nerds, fatties, and ugly people, because woman are a handful, and in most cases, you cant just call your gf over for 30 minutes to have sex with her and then tell her to leave, and prostitutes are nasty, expensive, and awkward.. these dolls are probably nearly halfway in between real sex and your hand.. btw, i know all this because i saw a special on hbo years ago about these things, and it was amazing how realistic the weight, feel, and maneuverability looked

This is not a new idea; in fact it is one of the oldest questions regarding robots. The word and concept of robots was first introduced in 1921 by the Czech playwright Karel Capek in his play Rossum’s Universal Robots. I highly recommend the play, as it is one of my favorite works of science fiction. The word “robot” is taken from Czech word for worker, and in the play the Rossum Corporation creates an artificial worker with the goal of performing all human services. One of the consequences of this is that the world birth rate falls to 0. In 1921 Karel Capek does not explicitly say people have sex with robots, but it is implied from the 0 birth rate.

Anyway this is not a new concept, people have been predicting this since the concept of robots first existed. To me it seems too much like an extrapolation, which all science fiction is, to be true. I’m sure there will be people who have sex with robots, just like there are people who have sex with dolls today, but I doubt it will become a popular form of masturbation.

Default a great bumper sticker

it said do not waste your breath yelling at me and my driving - you will need it to blow up your date tonight !!!!

The first practical application robot played chess in 1769. zg
    --------------------
    WIRED | Mar 2002

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    Monster in a Box

The inside story of an ingenious chess-playing machine that thrilled crowds, terrified opponents, and won like clockwork.

By Tom Standage

One autumn day in 1769, a 35-year-old civil servant was summoned to the imperial court in Vienna to witness a magic show. Wolfgang von Kempelen - well versed in physics, mechanics, and hydraulics - was a trusted servant of Maria Theresa, the empress of Austria-Hungary. She had invited him in order to see what a scientific man would make of the magician's tricks. The event was to change the course of Kempelen's life.

For he was so unimpressed by the performance that, once it was over, Kempelen made an uncharacteristic and audacious claim. In front of the whole court, he declared that he could do better. Maria Theresa could hardly allow such a boast to pass without comment. Very well, she said. Excusing Kempelen from his official duties for six months, the empress challenged him to keep his word. Kempelen agreed not to return to the court until he was ready to stage a performance of his own.

He did not disappoint. In the spring of 1770, Kempelen reappeared before the empress and unveiled an extraordinary machine: a life-size mannequin seated behind a cabinet. The figure was made of carved wood and wore an ermine-trimmed robe, loose trousers, and a turban. The wooden box was 4 feet long, 2.5 feet deep, and 3 feet high, and rested on four brass casters. This meant the whole contraption could be moved around and rotated freely, so that it could be viewed easily from every angle. The front of the cabinet was divided into three doors of equal width, with a long drawer along the bottom. The wooden figure sat with its right arm extended, resting on the cabinet top, and its eyes stared down at a large chessboard directly in front of it. Its left hand held a long Turkish pipe, as though it had just finished smoking.

Stepping forward to address the audience, Kempelen announced that he had built a machine the likes of which had never been seen: an automaton, or mechanical toy, capable of playing chess. A skeptical murmur passed through the crowd. Kempelen explained that before demonstrating his invention, he would display its inner workings. He reached into his pocket and produced a set of keys, one of which he used to unlock the leftmost door on the front of the cabinet. Kempelen opened it to reveal an elaborate mechanism of densely packed wheels, cogs, levers, and clockwork machinery, including a large horizontal cylinder with a complex configuration of protruding studs, similar to that found in a musical box. As the audience scrutinized these workings, Kempelen opened another door directly behind the machinery and held a burning candle so that its flickering light was visible to spectators through the intricate clockwork. He then closed and locked the rear door.

MORE- http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.03/turk_pr.html
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by Guynoire View Post
    but I doubt it will become a popular form of masturbation.
    not when realdoll is charging thousands for a doll

+ Reply to Thread