+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

Thread: One reason you should be a Christian

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    518

    Default One reason you should be a Christian

    Now, we all know that there are dozens of major religions out there, and literally thousands of smaller ones. So, how the hell are we supposed to pick one, and know that g(G)od(s) really spoke to this person/group and believe them? Well, I believe that God understands how difficult it is to discern spiritual truth, and offers us evidence that the Bible is trustworthy, so that we aren't stuck with major doubts. God wants us to be able to believe in him, with full intellectual integrity:

    "(God), who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth... (1 Timothy 2:4)

    And God also wants his followers to not be assholes to people that have legitimate questions, nor does he demand blind faith, but:

    "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"
    (1 Peter 3:15).

    So, what methods does God use to authenticate the Bible? Well, there are many, but one of the main ones is the use of long-term predictive prophecy. This is how God commands his people to judge someone who claims to be a prophet:

    "You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?" If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him."
    (Deuteronomy 18:21-22).

    Now, there are literally hundreds of short-term fulfilled prophecies, all throughout the Bible. God predicts the eminent destruction of nations, coming famines, the deaths of kings, etc. These are certainly cool, but they're hard for us to use to authenticate the text, because 1. they're short term, and it's possible that someone could have made an educated guess and 2. they're too close to the time of the author's writing for us to verify that they weren't post-dated.

    However, there are several cases of long-term predictive prophecy. Wouldn't you agree that a person who could predict major events hundreds of years in advance, with perfect accuracy, and numerous specific details, would have to have access to some sort of supernatural power? Well, that's exactly what several biblical writers do.

    In one instance, the prophet Isaiah names Cyrus as the man who will rebuild the city of Jerusalem, and the temple, approximately 160 years before it happens:

    "I will raise up Cyrus in my righteousness:
    I will make all his ways straight.
    He will rebuild my city
    and set my exiles free,
    but not for a price or reward,
    says the LORD Almighty."
    (Isaiah 45:14)

    At the time that this prophecy was written, the temple and the city were still standing! In fact, they weren't destroyed until 586 by the Babylonians, and it wasn't until the Persians took over the Babylonians that this became a possibility. And he names the king! No human being could do this by random chance.

    There are some other examples, including the book of Daniel, where he predicts the rise and fall of several empires (including Rome), and names to the year when the Messiah will come. I'm going to try and find some good articles on those.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Here's a link detailing some of the prophecies, written centuries before, that were fulfilled by Christ: http://www.bible.ca/b-prophecy-60.htm.

    This link details some of the fulfilled prophecies in the book of Daniel: http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/daniel.html.

  3. #3

    Default

    Last edited by zengrifter; May 19th, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: format and dead link
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  4. #4

    Default

    moo, i glanced at your article for 1 second, and it makes me sick.. you are the exact kind of person i detest, somebody who will come on a blackjack forum and try to turn people into christians.. you have been brainwashed, and it makes me sick.. you saw me post that i dont think god is real so you have to create a thread about god? wtf thats ****ed up man.. i suppose i should go create an article about how you should be atheist? or how about i dont care what you believe in, cuz im not some door-to-door bible banger trying to brainwash others.. sad

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob420BMFJ View Post
    moo, i glanced at your article for 1 second, and it makes me sick.. you are the exact kind of person i detest, somebody who will come on a blackjack forum and try to turn people into christians.. you have been brainwashed, and it makes me sick.. you saw me post that i dont think god is real so you have to create a thread about god? wtf thats ****ed up man.. i suppose i should go create an article about how you should be atheist? or how about i dont care what you believe in, cuz im not some door-to-door bible banger trying to brainwash others.. sad
    Why are you so opposed to Christianity? Do you think it's stupid, do you dislike how certain Christians act, did you have a bad experience? It seems like you're completely unwilling to even consider objective evidence. Is there a reason for this? Oh, and I posted the article because Zengrifter said I should.

    And, please do post an article about why we should be atheists. I'm not trying to brainwash anyone, I want you to make an objective decision about what is true.
    Last edited by moo321; September 29th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob420BMFJ View Post
    moo, i glanced at your article for 1 second, and it makes me sick.. you are the exact kind of person i detest, somebody who will come on a blackjack forum and try to turn people into christians.. you have been brainwashed, and it makes me sick.. you saw me post that i dont think god is real so you have to create a thread about god? wtf thats ****ed up man.. i suppose i should go create an article about how you should be atheist? or how about i dont care what you believe in, cuz im not some door-to-door bible banger trying to brainwash others.. sad
    Have you not an open mind? zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    lost in cyberspace
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob420BMFJ View Post
    moo, i glanced at your article for 1 second, and it makes me sick.. you are the exact kind of person i detest, somebody who will come on a blackjack forum and try to turn people into christians.. you have been brainwashed, and it makes me sick.. you saw me post that i dont think god is real so you have to create a thread about god? wtf thats ****ed up man.. i suppose i should go create an article about how you should be atheist? or how about i dont care what you believe in, cuz im not some door-to-door bible banger trying to brainwash others.. sad
    I don't think moo has come on here trying to turn people into christians. He started posting in the zenzone from a post started by ZEN. Moo just gave his opinion.

    And I would be open to you starting a thread why to be an atheist - make sure you give proof and not just because you say so. in fact i would CHALLENGE you to do so - and trust me those of us who are christians on here won't respond like you do - being a closed minded jerk.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that Daniel didn't name the year the messiah would come and get it exactly right.In the first place,Jews don't believe the Messiah has come yet,and Christians can't decide exactly which year Jesus was born.About the only thing fairly certain is he wasn't born December 25th of the last year before Christ,or before common era as it is commonly referred to.


    Surely you are not suggesting that Nostrodamus had supernatural powers,are you?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Well, I believe that God understands how difficult it is to discern spiritual truth, and offers us evidence that the Bible is trustworthy, so that we aren't stuck with major doubts. God wants us to be able to believe in him, with full intellectual integrity...

    "(God), who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth...
    Well if I understand the concept: God is a loving god, and so loves the world that he sent his only beloved Son to atone for my and all mankind's "original sin". All God requires is that I love his Son and confess Him as Lord and I can then live forever in glorious heaven.

    If, however, I do not recognize His Son I will be consigned to burn in hell for eternity?

    Oh, and who is his son? He is His Son, too!

    Have I got it right? zg
    Last edited by zengrifter; September 30th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Daniel didn't name the year the messiah would come and get it exactly right.In the first place,Jews don't believe the Messiah has come yet,and Christians can't decide exactly which year Jesus was born.About the only thing fairly certain is he wasn't born December 25th of the last year before Christ,or before common era as it is commonly referred to.

    Surely you are not suggesting that Nostrodamus had supernatural powers,are you?
    Two great questions. First, the prophecy about the Messiah. Here's the text (Daniel is narrating):

    "While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel and making my request to the LORD my God for his holy hill- while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. He instructed me and said to me, "Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed. Therefore, consider the message and understand the vision:

    "Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy.

    "Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing."
    (Daniel 9:20-25).

    So, first of all, the prophecy is based on something that hasn't yet happened when he is writing. But he basically says "start the clock when they decree that the temple be rebuilt". So, we have 69 "Sevens" (62+7) of years, or 483. Now, we need to make a conversion when we use our calculator, because we are on a 365 day calendar, and their calendar was 360 days. When we do so, we end up with 173,880 days, or 476.38 years. The last thing we have to do is adjust for the fact that there was no year zero between 1 BC and 1 AD, and we end up with 477.38.

    Now, we can't be 100% sure when this edict was issued, but we're pretty sure it was 445 BC. So, we subtract 477 from 445, and we get -32, or 32 AD. The prophecy may be accurate to the day, but people argue about when exactly the edict was given, so I'm not going to split hairs. Bottom line, there's a specific prophecy that the Messiah would be killed in 32 AD, and we know that's when he died. QUITE a coincidence? Or was Jesus the son of God?



    As far as Nostradamus goes, I don't know if he had supernatural powers or not. I do know that many of the prophecies that are alleged to refer to modern events are often vague, and the details don't quite fit. Compare that with this explanation of the vision in Daniel (the angel Gabriel is speaking, explaining a vision that Daniel had):

    "He said: "I am going to tell you what will happen later in the time of wrath, because the vision concerns the appointed time of the end. The two-horned ram that you saw represents the kings of Media and Persia. The shaggy goat is the king of Greece, and the large horn between his eyes is the first king. The four horns that replaced the one that was broken off represent four kingdoms that will emerge from his nation but will not have the same power."
    (Daniel 8:19-22)

    So, Daniel names the kingdoms that will come to power in the Middle East, and even predicts that the king of Greece (Alexander the Great) would be die, and that his empire would be split into 4 pieces. How the hell could anyone make a prophecy like that centuries in advance without supernatural power?
    Last edited by moo321; September 30th, 2007 at 04:48 AM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob420BMFJ View Post
    moo, i glanced at your article for 1 second, and it makes me sick.. you are the exact kind of person i detest, somebody who will come on a blackjack forum and try to turn people into christians.. you have been brainwashed, and it makes me sick.. you saw me post that i dont think god is real so you have to create a thread about god? wtf thats ****ed up man.. i suppose i should go create an article about how you should be atheist? or how about i dont care what you believe in, cuz im not some door-to-door bible banger trying to brainwash others.. sad
    People tend to turn to religion for one of 3 reasons-the way they were raised, emotional upheval (seeking meaning in theor lives) or an intellectual search for truth. If you read the threads that ZG has graciously supplied, I think you will see all three.

    An intellectual argument has been made based upon historical probabilities. If you choose not to agree, that falls under your personal perogative. If you choose to search for answers to spiritual questions, that too is your perogative. If you choose to debate or place another opinion, again your perogative. If evidence is given in a sound, organized way stripped of emotion, it will carry much more weight on this forum than mindless rantings.

    Oddly enough, you also have the perogative to just not read that which you choose not too. The people on this forum are all (well, MOST) thinking adults, and can make their own conclusions. I'm fairly certain no-one needs to hear someone else call them brainwashed.

    Oh, and feel free to post your opinions on being an atheist. If you give a reasonal argument, people will enjoy it. If you give an emotional rant, people will ignore it. Either way, I'm pretty sure ZG will allow you the opportunity. That is, I believe, why Ken started this part of the web-site-to be a 'non-blackjack' area.

    -EPS

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eps6724 View Post
    TO SILENT BOB: Oh, and feel free to post your opinions on being an atheist. If you give a reasonal argument, people will enjoy it. If you give an emotional rant, people will ignore it. Either way, I'm pretty sure ZG will allow you the opportunity. That is, I believe, why Ken started this part of the web-site-to be a 'non-blackjack' area.
    Yes, absolutely - The Case for Atheism, or some such. Please. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Why are you so opposed to Christianity? Do you think it's stupid, do you dislike how certain Christians act, did you have a bad experience? It seems like you're completely unwilling to even consider objective evidence. Is there a reason for this? Oh, and I posted the article because Zengrifter said I should.

    And, please do post an article about why we should be atheists. I'm not trying to brainwash anyone, I want you to make an objective decision about what is true.
    I tried to be an atheist once. It lasted two weeks. I couldn't live that way. There was suddenly nothing anchoring me down so to speak. Morality became relative. The only reason not to kill someone for my advantage was the fear of getting caught. Everything once thought wrong became fair game if it could further my success/prosperity/power/happiness/goals and if I thought I could get away with it. D---! It's dangerous being an atheist. Where does any sense of morality come from, any sense of absolutes, of right and wrong, if it doesn't come from a belief in God? Nothing makes any sense if there is no God and this life is all there is and then nothing.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    What does believing or not believing in God have to do with knowing whats right or wrong?
    Are you seriously suggesting that you only do the right thing because it is pleasing to God and that you would become an evil person were there no God?
    If you are walking down the street and see a pretty young girl,is the only reason you don't rape and kill her because you might get caught,and even if you don't get caught,that God will punish you somehow?
    Or could it be that you were bought up to know right and wrong,without having to fear that every little thing will earn you reward or punishment in the afterlife?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  15. #15

    Default Agree with Shadroch

    Growing up in a mob owned and operated part of New York, there were people who went to church every Sunday but might be, selling drugs, running a pro ring, beating the hell out of or even killing someone on Monday. But they donated large sums to the church and considered themselves to be good Catholics and Christians. In most of these cases, dad, or other relatives had had the same lifestyle.
    Instead, morality comes from where you spend everyday as a child, your home. If morality is a way of life at home then religion will reinforce this, but for most religion is just not enough. Your friendships also play a larger role in this than religion in my opinion.

    Of course, how many Christians or in fact how many churches, actually follow the intent of Christ's teachings? Instead all to often they are twisted for their own uses.

    There again, this is coming from a person who believes in God but believes that the purpose of organized religion is purely to keep their flock and power.

    ihate17

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. The Marijuana Conspiracy: The Reason Cannabis Is Illegal
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: December 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM
  2. The Reason JFK Jr. Was Murdered
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: December 15th, 2014, 05:07 AM
  3. Can You Name This Famous Christian?
    By MAZ in forum Religious Cults & Spirituality
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: August 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM
  4. The TRUE Reason for the Civil War...
    By zengrifter in forum History, Secret or Otherwise
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2014, 04:20 AM
  5. Another good reason to vote for the health bill
    By QFITman in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts