+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Priest Sentenced for Exorcism

Default Priest Sentenced for Exorcism

Feb 19, 10:47 AM EST
    Romanian Priest Sentenced for Exorcism

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) -- A Romanian priest who led a dayslong exorcism ritual for a young nun that ended with the woman's death was sentenced Monday to 14 years in prison. Four nuns were also sentenced in the case. The dead nun, Maricica Irina Cornici, believed she heard the devil talking to her. She was treated for schizophrenia, but when she relapsed, Daniel Petru Corogeanu - a monk who served as the priest for the secluded Holy Trinity convent in northeast Romania - and the four other nuns tried exorcism.

Cornici, 23, was tied up for several days at the without food or water and chained to a cross. She died of dehydration, exhaustion and suffocation.

The court in the northeast city of Vaslui convicted Corogeanu and the nuns of holding Cornici captive, resulting in her death. One of the nuns, Nicoleta Arcalianu, was sentenced to eight years in prison, and the other three - Adina Cepraga, Elena Otel and Simona Bardanas - received five-year sentences.

Dozens of Corogeanu's supporters packed the courtroom and prayed for the priest; several burst into tears when the verdict was announced.
    The defendants' lawyers plan to appeal.

Cornici's death prompted Romania's dominant Orthodox Church to promise reforms, including psychological tests for those seeking to enter monasteries.

The Orthodox church, which has benefited from a religious revival in recent years, condemned the ritual at the convent as "abominable" and banned Corogeanu from the priesthood and excommunicated the four nuns from the church.

In 1999, when the Vatican issued its first new guidelines since 1614 for driving out devils, it urged its priests to take modern psychiatry into account in deciding who should be exorcised.

Orthodox churches also regularly perform exorcism rituals, but Corogeanu's methods were criticized by church officials as excessively harsh, noting that he had dropped out from the church's religious education program.

2007 The Associated Press.

Default The things human beings can believe

Isn't it just amazing the things we humans can believe? Sometime ago I watched Dr. Paula White the tele-evangelist on my t.v. set.

She essentially said God has spoken to me and he told me that there are two women watching this program as I speak and these two womens' husbands have passed on and left them well to do. He told me that each of these women are going to send us $10,000.00 today to carry on with our good work. Praise God! He also told me that there is one PERSON watching this program as I speak who is going to send us $1,000,000.00 to help us carry on with our good work. Praise God!

So I'm sitting on my couch and thinking "and they send bank robbers to jail for being dishonest."

Quote Originally Posted by rogue1 View Post
    Isn't it just amazing the things we humans can believe? Sometime ago I watched Dr. Paula White the tele-evangelist on my t.v. set.

She essentially said God has spoken to me and he told me that there are two women watching this program as I speak and these two womens' husbands have passed on and left them well to do. He told me that each of these women are going to send us $10,000.00 today to carry on with our good work. Praise God! He also told me that there is one PERSON watching this program as I speak who is going to send us $1,000,000.00 to help us carry on with our good work. Praise God!

So I'm sitting on my couch and thinking "and they send bank robbers to jail for being dishonest."
    Check this -
    http://www.zenzoneforum.com/showthread.php?t=4934

Default They're out there Sculley

And then you've got those who can't believe in life on other planets ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE FREAKIN' UNIVERSE because "intelligent life as we know it" can't exist elsewhere-''IT AIN'T IN THE GOOD BOOK MARTHA!''

I need air.

Come to think of it these are undoubtedly the same guys who believe in "The Sacred Order of The Cards!"
    Last edited by rogue1; February 21st, 2007 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue1 View Post
    Come to think of it these are undoubtedly the same guys who believe in "The Sacred Order of The Cards!"
    There IS a sacred order to the cards, here -

The Cross of Cards
    by Alan Watts
    It is said that playing-cards were devised by the ancients to hide a secret where those not 'in the know' would never think of looking for it. For heresy-hunters are serious-minded people who would never think of looking for religion in a game. It is curious to think how men have gambled, fought and slain one another over these unknown symbols, and it is interesting to wonder whether the most accomplished 'poker face' would fall a little on discovering that he was playing for lucre with emblems just as holy as the cross, the chalice and the crown of thorns. Probably not, for men have done things just as terrible in the name of symbols whose holiness they recognized. However, it is no less strange that the puritanic mind should see in diamonds, spades, hearts and clubs the signs of vice, to be avoided at all times and more especially on Sundays.
    ... more - http://deoxy.org/w_cross.htm

Default yo zg

you are without a doubt on your own little rocket ship!
    ey!

+ Reply to Thread