+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hyping Terror, Thanking Syria

Default Hyping Terror, Thanking Syria

Hyping Terror, Thanking Syria

by Larry C Johnson | No Quarter

The rightwing media (Wall Street Journal editorial page and National Review) have frequently criticized me for my July 2001 op-ed in the New York Times, which argued that terrorism was not the greatest threat facing the United States. Within the last month articles by Ohio State University professor, John Mueller, and Wired Magazine's, Ryan Singel, acknowledge, albeit indirectly, that I was right. They offer critical facts to buttress their arguments that the threat of terrorism is overstated.

While I fully agree with them, I would note that we have seen a dramatic, significant increase in international terrorist attacks in which people are killed and wounded since the United States invaded Iraq. The U.S. presence in Iraq is fueling a growth in terrorism. Fortunately, those who want to attack us in the continental United States confront major obstacles (which is a key part of Mueller's arguement).

Let's start with an article by Ryan Singel that appeared yesterday (September 11, 2006) in Wired. He writes:

But despite the never-ending litany of warnings and endless stories of half-baked plots foiled, how likely are you, statistically speaking, to die from a terrorist attack?

Comparing official mortality data with the number of Americans who have been killed inside the United States by terrorism since the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma reveals that scores of threats are far more likely to kill an American than any terrorist -- at least, statistically speaking.

In fact, your appendix is more likely to kill you than al-Qaida is.

With that in mind, here's a handy ranking of the various dangers confronting America, based on the number of mortalities in each category throughout the 11-year period spanning 1995 through 2005 (extrapolated from best available data).

Ryan offers a handy dandy color code chart that puts things in perspective:

...continued here - http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_webl..._terror_t.html

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Hyping Terror, Thanking Syria

by Larry C Johnson | No Quarter

While I fully agree with them, I would note that we have seen a dramatic, significant increase in international terrorist attacks in which people are killed and wounded since the United States invaded Iraq. The U.S. presence in Iraq is fueling a growth in terrorism.
    A man once lived in a beautiful home by a lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Unknown to him, a family of rattlesnakes took up residency in the walls of his huge and sprawling house. No one in the family knew of their existence as they multiplied year after year. Then one day, one of the man's children was bitten and almost died. As time went on, the man discovered evidence of the many rattlers that co-inhabited his home. Now, the man was face with a quandary. Should he seek to exterminate the rattlesnakes at great expense and some risk to himself and family, or should he try to live in peaceful coexistence. An animal lover, he delayed, but then another child was bitten. This one died. Saddened and angry at his own folly, he began a full-fledged extermination of the deadly house mates. As he proceeded, his actions seemed to fuel the fire, and there were a number of close calls, and two pest control experts were bitten, but survived. Eventually, however, he was able to fully rid his home of his unwelcome invaders, although not without great difficulty, inconvenience, and expense. Now, once again, the man and his family live in peace on the edge of the lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    A man once lived in a beautiful home by a lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Unknown to him, a family of rattlesnakes took up residency in the walls of his huge and sprawling house. No one in the family knew of their existence as they multiplied year after year. Then one day, one of the man's children was bitten and almost died. As time went on, the man discovered evidence of the many rattlers that co-inhabited his home. Now, the man was face with a quandary. Should he seek to exterminate the rattlesnakes at great expense and some risk to himself and family, or should he try to live in peaceful coexistence. An animal lover, he delayed, but then another child was bitten. This one died. Saddened and angry at his own folly, he began a full-fledged extermination of the deadly house mates. As he proceeded, his actions seemed to fuel the fire, and there were a number of close calls, and two pest control experts were bitten, but survived. Eventually, however, he was able to fully rid his home of his unwelcome invaders, although not without great difficulty, inconvenience, and expense. Now, once again, the man and his family live in peace on the edge of the lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
    I could just as well call Bush and the neocons the rattlesnakes. After all, Bush is the one that killed Iraqis for no reason. He is the one that started the carnage. He is the one that attacked the wrong country. And 6.5 years later, bin Laden is still alive.

Who are the rattlers? Syria? zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by QFIT View Post
    I could just as well call Bush and the neocons the rattlesnakes. After all, Bush is the one that killed Iraqis for no reason. He is the one that started the carnage. He is the one that attacked the wrong country. And 6.5 years later, bin Laden is still alive.
    Parables are a way of telling truths. The meaning is not for everyone.

Even Clinton bombed Iraq to avert potential Iraqi aggression. You either believe that the US is basically for peace, or you don't. Apparently, you believe that Saddam was for peace. I'll say no more.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Parables are a way of telling truths. The meaning is not for everyone.

Even Clinton bombed Iraq to avert potential Iraqi aggression. You either believe that the US is basically for peace, or you don't. Apparently, you believe that Saddam was for peace. I'll say no more.
    Saddam was a monster of US creation, just like Hitler was an English creation.
    Clinton is a souless Dem who did more to obliterate American freedoms than any prez before him. zg
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Saddam was a monster of US creation, just like Hitler was an English creation.
    Clinton is a souless Dem who did more to obliterate American freedoms than any prez before him. zg
    I agree that Saddam was of US origin. I wouldn't go so far as to say that we created him. He became what he wanted to become. If he had become what we wanted him to become, we would not have wanted to take him out.

In a more and more dangerous world there is always going to be a fine line between what is necessary to protect the public and what is overstepping the bounds of individual freedom. But heck, I don't want the government telling me to wear a helmet or a seat belt even, so I guess I'm with you on this one.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

In a more and more dangerous world there is always going to be a fine line between what is necessary to protect the public and what is overstepping the bounds of individual freedom. But heck, I don't want the government telling me to wear a helmet or a seat belt even, so I guess I'm with you on this one.
    That fine line is not so fine and we crossed it with JFK, RFK, MLK, JFKjr, Wellstone,
    numerous others domestic and foreign, and then OKC, and finally 9/11, le
    Pièce de résistance, le coup d'grande of coup d'tete! Viva la France! Viva la France! zg
    Last edited by zengrifter; May 31st, 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Two more years--if the Republic can withstand the onslaught that long. Two more years and I'm heading for a little desert town in Nevada where I hope to hide out during what promises to be a time of tribulation. Although I'll probably sneak back and forth to Vegas to help out here and there where I can, and maybe get in a few hands of the game, or a little stud poker.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Two more years--if the Republic can withstand the onslaught that long. Two more years and I'm heading for a little desert town in Nevada where I hope to hide out during what promises to be a time of tribulation. Although I'll probably sneak back and forth to Vegas to help out here and there where I can, and maybe get in a few hands of the game, or a little stud poker.
    You can be like Father Fahey -

You can be like Father Fahey -
    He was a cool character, no? Jesuits are not allowed to own anything as I recall, They must have looked the other way as he plied his trade for the church. Two things I remember about Jebbies--they like their beer and they like their cigarettes. That's what I recall from two years under their tutelage in high school.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Default Did I Hear This Right??????????

Have the Syrians denied the IAEA acces to it's nuclear facilities including the site Israel bombed in September??????????

I wonder why Syria would do that?

Perhaps because they were involved in making nuclear weapons?

+ Reply to Thread