+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quantify. Don S

You are, of course, missing the point. Mine was that I anticipated the downturn and wanted to hedge before it occurred. Do you understand the difference? And, of course, you are also completely wrong when you state, "I didn't lose a dime because I didn't sell." What a naive way to look at things. When you're winning $1,000 during a session, do you now consider that's "house money" and not really yours until you cash in? If you lose it back, did you not really lose anything? If you get a month-end statement that says your account is worth $100,000 at the end of July but $50,000 at the end of August, do you really consider that you didn't lose anything? Shame on you for thinking that way.

Don

Excellent post. I've been sitting on the sidelines since the Dow hit 20k waiting to get back in. Spinning Wheel lyrics What goes up Must come down.

So Don, do think there has been just a wee bit of irrational exuberance during this unparalleled market run to the upside?

Drunk writes:
    if you can anticipate downturns you are better than me - I can't - and I don't doubt that others are better at this than me - but I also believe a great many have made the wrong
    call

It's not a matter of anticipating. It IS a matter of putting yourself in a position to take advantage of the downturns. History proves they WILL happen. The worst feeling in the world is being fully invested in a market free fall. So the question is, how long can you hang in before you panic. Histoy proves NOT long for most. When everyone else is running out, you've got to have the wherewithal to run in.
    Last edited by Moses; August 6th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread