+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone here have any experience soldering a motherboard???

Default Anyone here have any experience soldering a motherboard???

Do any of you guys or gals have any experience soldering things on a motherboard? I'm attempting to modify an old gaming console.

I've done my share of fine-pitched soldering. What are you trying to do?

There are lots of good youtube videos about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    I've done my share of fine-pitched soldering. What are you trying to do?

There are lots of good youtube videos about it.
    I need to solder a coin cell battery holder to a circuit board, that way the battery can be changed by pulling it out of the battery holder instead of doing a solder job each time the battery goes bad. This is for a Sega Dreamcast, 2 of them.

There is a local fix-it-place that would probably take on the task but I imagine they will charge me about $80 per job, I would rather do it myself for that price but I will have to go out and buy the right soldering iron. Is flux necessary when soldering things?

Default A new toy

I found a custom made component for the Dreamcast as well, called the Akura. This thing will be a lot better than using the old composite cables.

SPECIFICATIONS

1. 480p video output via HDMI

2. RGB/VGA switch to select the 15khz RGB mode or the 31khz VGA mode.

3. HDMI connector for plugging to your TV/monitor.

4. Headphone audio output jack for plugging to a Hi-Fi
    system(amplifier) or TV.

5. Scanliner ON/OFF switch to turn it on or off.

6. Scanliner Even/Odd switch for selecting even or odd scanlines.

7. Scanliner Width switch for selecting thin or thick scanlines

8. Luminosity adjustment as a bonus feature.

9. Blue power led.

10. High quality custom made Dreamcast audio/video cable.

11. Durable plexi case with laser etched Akura logo.

"All our products are handmade using high quality imported components. Every component is tested multiple times and chosen carefully for its longevity. We use high quality shielded video cable for better video and audio quality."

Last edited by Blitzkrieg; Yesterday at 04:40 AM.

It's a pretty straightforward solder, being through-hole and all.

It's not clear to me what the orientation is of the battery holder, but if it doesn't line up perfectly to the pin holes, epoxy it down, then run short wires to the PCB.

Any decent iron should be fine. Weller is a brand of choice but you don't need anything special. Most solder has flux inside it already.

It's a pretty straightforward solder, being through-hole and all.

It's not clear to me what the orientation is of the battery holder, but if it doesn't line up perfectly to the pin holes, epoxy it down, then run short wires to the PCB.

Any decent iron should be fine. Weller is a brand of choice but you don't need anything special. Most solder has flux inside it already.
    That's what I was thinking JD, straightforward. Hopefully I don't screw it up because I'm good at destroying things. I think the hard part will be making those 3 pin holes all nice and neat so I'm going to disassemble an old phone or some kind of old electronic equipment that I don't need and mess around with the circuit board before I do it. The battery holder is going on even if I have to bend the pins slightly to make it fit.

Today I seen a good solder kit at the store for $10 which has a fine tip on it that I need that will get the job done.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; November 13th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

What's the other side look like where you're soldering?

If it were me, I'd put some flux on the pads (solder side) and use wick to remove the solder from the holes, so they're clean and empty. Then insert the battery holder and resolder.

A cheapo soldering iron might work, but it might not. If there's a lot of heat sinking going on (big traces or metal areas) you'll need some wattage..

Also, always use leaded solder (tin/lead, ~63/37). It works so much better than the other crap.

What's the other side look like where you're soldering?

If it were me, I'd put some flux on the pads (solder side) and use wick to remove the solder from the holes, so they're clean and empty. Then insert the battery holder and resolder.

A cheapo soldering iron might work, but it might not. If there's a lot of heat sinking going on (big traces or metal areas) you'll need some wattage..

Also, always use leaded solder (tin/lead, ~63/37). It works so much better than the other crap.
    The other side looks like a circuit board you know, that's the side I will need to solder the ends of the battery holder to the circuit board. Cleaning out those 3 holes and not messing it up will be a tricky part because I don't know how careful I have to be. I was just going to get the solder iron real hot and work that old solder off and then punch a hole thru it with the fine tip of the solder iron. What is the wick stuff you speak of? That cheapo solder iron came with some soldering metal, I'm not sure what the mix of the metal is but it looks as good as any. It should work fine.

Wick is the correct tool for clearing out those holes.

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/images/wick.jpg

Plenty of youtube videos about how to use it. You may do OK without it, or you might break a pad.

Wick is the correct tool for clearing out those holes.

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/images/wick.jpg

Plenty of youtube videos about how to use it. You may do OK without it, or you might break a pad.
    I just watched a video where someone cleared out some holes on a circuit board with solder wick, it seems like it worked real well and was easy to use. I'll have to give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAJpz9Mdm4

+ Reply to Thread