+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The living logos

Smile The living logos

THE LIVING LOGOS

The Alphabet and the Twenty-two Elements of the Logos

By dividing the Apocalypse into twenty-two chapters - the same number as the letters of the Hebrew alphabet - St John showed that it was dedicated, as it were, to the Logos, the Divine Word which, he says in his Gospel, is at the origin of all things : 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God': What can we understand of the Word, His nature and His Powers1 ?

1: The dictionary tells us that the Greek term Logos, used by St John in speaking of Christ, means 'word', 'speech', 'disclosure' or 'reason'. The standard English rendering in New Testament translations is 'Word'. However, speaking in French, the Master was able to make a distinction between the French rendering of Logos, Verbe, and mot (word) and parole (word or speech). In passages quoted directly from the Bible, we have retained the familiar term, 'the Word'. However, in order to give as faithful a rendering as possible of the Master's argument in the three lectures included in this chapter, we have used Logos or, sometimes, 'the Divine World' where the Master uses Verbe and The English Bible uses 'Word'. Where the Master uses the word parole to express the manifestation of the Logos in the physical world, we have used the word 'speech' or, occasionally, 'word' (Translator's note).

In the last chapter of the Apocalypse, Christ says, 'I am the Alpha and the Omega , the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.' Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet, the language in which the New Testament was written. In Hebrew, the language spoken by Jesus, the first and last letters of the alphabet are Aleph and Tav. 'I am the Alpha and the Omega' means exactly the same, therefore, as, ' I am Aleph and Tav'.

Alpha and Omega or Aleph and Tav - these two letters represent the whole alphabet, for the beginning cannot be separated from the end. An alphabet is a whole consisting of a series of elements, the letters. The order in which these letters follow each other is not the result of chance ; they are the analogical representation of the 'letters' of creation. The letters of the Hebrew alphabet represent the elements, forces, virtues, qualities, spirits and powers, which God combined in order to create the Universe. By means of living letters, God composed words and phrases, and he continues to do so, today. This was how the world was created and this is how it is continually being created. When an Initiate studies the cabbalistic meaning of the Hebrew letters, he does so in order to read and understand the living language of Nature.

The Hebrew alphabet contains twenty-two letters. When Christ said, 'I am the Alpha and Omega', he was saying, ' I am the Logos, the twenty-two elements by means of which the world was created'. Man also uses the letters of the alphabet to help him to think, speak and write and, in doing this, he is doing what God did. The word (the physical expression of the Logos), whether it be thought, spoken or written is always one and the same thing.

We possess all the elements within us : colors, forces, projections, rays and vibrations all serve to form and express our thought. To think, speak or write, therefore, are three ways of expressing the Logos. Some people think the Logos, others speak It, others write It. The Initiates of old knew these three expressions of the Logos and, from earliest Antiquity, marked certain religious buildings with written, graphic expressions of the Logos in the form of figures and geometrical or hieroglyphic signs. Knowing that these figures would survive the centuries, they did this in order to put men of future generations in touch with the Divine Logos.

All the letters of the cabbalistic alphabet are linked to each other in a network that embraces the universe, and he who knows how to combine them into phrases and poems is a true scribe. A scribe, in the initiatic sense of the word, is one who has learned to transpose the elements of language, the letters of the alphabet, into every area of his life and, particularly, into his own inner being where he endeavors to combine them into a beautiful, harmonious 'word'. And it is precisely this that is so difficult : when our inner life is disordered, it means that our 'words' are in disorder, that we have jumbled them all up without order, science or wisdom.

It is also important to know that each letter corresponds to a geometrical form in nature, and that behind every geometrical form specific forces are at work. Nature knows how to link her own forms with the letters that represent them, so that he who knows the invisible powers that correspond to each letter is capable of setting cosmic currents in motion. When we create or draw certain forms, therefore, we are putting ourselves in touch with corresponding entities of the invisible world. When an Initiate seeks to learn the correspondences between the forces, forms and letters, and how to handle them, it is in order to create a bond with Heaven.

Let's pause for a moment to study the letter Aleph http://aleph.humanities.ucla.edu/wp-...ndard/logo.jpg . The first thing to notice is that it resembles a man with one arm raised Heavenwards and the other pointing down towards the earth. This attitude depicts an intermediary, a medium between Heaven and earth. With one hand he reaches up to receive light from Heaven and, with the other, he pours it out on humanity. Alternatively, he takes up all that is human, transforms it within himself and sends it back to Heaven in the form of light. Aleph is a being who knows and who is able.

The letter Aleph marks the beginning of an activity. When a man raises his arm he is signaling the beginning of something ; it is an expression of the will to act. When a man's arms are stretched out horizontally, like the wings of a gliding bird, so that arms and body form a cross, they express balance. But if his arms are at different angles, it means that the two arms of his scales are at different levels, he is no longer in a state of equilibrium ; in other words, he is ready for action.

And now, look at the first card of the Tarot, the Magician https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma...1_Magician.jpg . What do you see? A man standing by a table, with one arm raised and the other lowered ; in other words he is not immobile, he is doing something. What is he doing? With the arm that is raised, he is making contact with Heaven and, with the other, he is in contact with the earth and with human beings. The forces that he receives from Heaven pass through him and are handed on to the earth : he is Aleph. But to be Aleph also means to be capable of taking the forces of earth and of projecting them Heavenwards ; in other words, to be an intermediary. This is what Jesus was expressing when he said, 'No one comes to the Father except through me'. For a cabbalist Aleph is perfect man because he is in close touch with Heaven and, at the same time, working actively for mankind. Aleph also holds the secret of the two operations, Solve et Coagula : it teaches the adept how to work on matter in order to dilute or condense it.

Another interesting point is that the letter Aleph is made up of four Yod's. The Yod is shaped like a bent thumb http://www.firstpreswh.org/wp-conten...brew_Yod_1.png , and this means that it is related to the will. Aleph is a very powerful, creative letter ; its form shows that it possesses a will that is a combination of four wills, four activities and four directions. Aleph is the letter of space with its four directions - north, south, east and west - the letter of the four elements. And in the Tarot card we see the Magician standing in front of a table, symbol of the element earth ; on the table is a cup which symbolizes the element water, and in his hand is a wand that is pointing upwards, and this means that he is linking the elements below - water and earth - to those above, air and fire. In addition, the hat he is wearing has a very distinctive shape: the brim describes a horizontal figure eight, the symbol of infinity. The letter Aleph, therefore, symbolizes an Initiate who has the power to command the forces of nature, the four elements.

And now you are going to see how the numbers follow on each other : he who subjects the Four to the power of the One (spirit and will), becomes the Five, the perfect human being who possesses the five virtues : love, wisdom, truth, kindness and justice. But we can only be said to have attained perfect equilibrium when we have become the Six, the Six that is twice three, the two triangles of matter and spirit, the Seal of Solomon. A man becomes the Seal of Solomon when he achieves an inner state of perfect equilibrium between the two triangles.

St John, who said 'In the beginning was the Word', certainly had full knowledge of the letter Aleph, the 'first born of God', the beginning of all things. The Logos is the Christ, the cosmic Magus who works with the four elements by means of which all things were created. When Jesus said, 'My Father is always at work and I, too, work with Him', it was the Christ who was speaking through him and who wanted to emphasize the idea that his activity never ceases. You will understand, now, that the cross, the symbol of Christ, is also related to this idea of God's ceaseless activity in the universe. When the horizontal bar of the cross is tilted, it shows that it is in action, and its form is very similar to that of the letter Aleph. This is also the meaning of the swastika, a symbol which is found in many religions both in India and in Greece.

Aleph is the cross with the horizontal bar at an angle, the cross which has lost its perfect equilibrium in order to go into action. The cross with four equal branches at right angles to each other, on the other hand, symbolizes the absolute equilibrium of the masculine and feminine principles. But there are other ways of drawing the cross. The Ankh, for instance, indicates that the cross is a key, the key that enables us to open all the doors of the universe. And the key is also an image of man, but as long was we still do not know anything about man, we shall never be able to open the doors of the universe, for the universe is simply man stretched of the dimensions of infinity.

The letter Aleph can be seen in many other symbolic forms, that of a lamb holding a cross, for instance, or that of a serpent pierced by an arrow. Both are representations of Aleph and, at the same time, representations of man. The spine and skull of a human skeleton have some resemblance to a snake, and the arrow which pierces it and which indicates movement and the direction of its work, is represented by the arms, the lateral branches of Aleph. Christ, the Logos, is the living cross.

But what is this figure of a lamb holding a cross? What does it mean? The lamb is the victim of sacrifice, Love. In the beginning, before the world was created, the Lamb sacrificed himself so that the world might come into being. A cohesive force was necessary to hold atoms and molecules together, and that force is love. This is why it is said that Christ is the Lamb who was immolated at the beginning of the world. And this same force that holds the world together is to be found in all aspects of life. It is thanks to this force that molecules and all chemical bodies exist and survive, and it is also thanks to this force that all human communities, families, societies and nations exist and endure. Without sacrifice nothing can exist. A whole can only exist thanks to the sacrifice of each one of its parts. Do away with all the numerous forms of sacrifice - looks and words, mutual care and assistance and all forms of renunciation - and everything will disintegrate and fade into nothingness. If you want something to last a long time, be sure that it is founded in Christ, on love 2.

2: See Complete Works, vol. 5, chap. 9

The practical conclusion to be drawn from what I have just been saying about the letter Aleph, the first letter, is that one must never undertake an action of any kind without knowing the forces that one is going to set in motion. It is the beginning that is essential. It is always very easy to trigger forces and events, but it is very difficult to remain in command of them and steer them in the right direction. If the men and women involved in the political arena were more conscious of this law they would give themselves more time for reflection before deciding to make certain changes. A great many of those who have started revolutionary movements, believing that they were going to be able to keep control of things, have ended by being mown down by their own creation ! The term 'sorcerer's apprentice' exactly suits the person who imprudently sets in motion currents that he then finds himself unable to control or orientate.

Whether it be on the physical, astral or mental plane, your power is not in the middle nor at the end of an action, but at the beginning. Picture yourself standing on a mountain peak ; beside you, balanced on the brink of the precipice, is a huge rock. You know that you only have to stretch out your hand and give it a push and it will obey you. The choice is yours, to leave it where it is or to send it hurtling down the mountain side. If you tip it over the edge it will, of course, obey you, but that is as far as your authority goes : from then on you will have no control over it ; it will cause untold damage that you will be powerless to avoid. Similarly, if you decide to keep a tight rein on your anger as soon as you feel it rising within you, it will not burst out, but once you let it go you will lose control of it. The same is true of certain ideas that you may cling to ; you will end by being unable to uproot them. Be very vigilant, therefore. Never forget that Tav depends on Aleph, that the end depends on the beginning. Be like a magus who performs a magical rite knowing exactly how to begin it in order to achieve the goal he intended.

When Christ said 'I am Aleph and Tav', he showed us how to begin an action. The beginning is Heaven, the Divine World, and we have to begin with Heaven and move gradually down into matter. If you begin with matter and try to work up towards Heaven, you are bound to meet with failure and suffering. Two people who are in love must begin by loving each other spiritually before loving physically. Men and women usually do just the opposite ; they begin with Tav and relegate Aleph to the end. But, when everything has fallen apart, will they be able to love spiritually? In everything you do you must begin with the beginning, with the head.

Cabbalists, who study the Hebrew alphabet, distinguish, first of all, three Mother letters, Aleph, Mem and Shin, which created, respectively, air, water and fire ; secondly, seven Doubles, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, Khaph, Pe, Resh, and Tav, which created the seven planets, and, finally, twelve Singels, He, Vav, Zayin, Het, Tet, Yod, Lamed, Nun, Sameck, Ayin, Tsade and Qoph, which created the twelve constellations of the Zodiac. The twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet, therefore, embrace the whole of creation.

Of course, you realize that these letters are simply the material expression of abstract principles. When you speak or write, you do what God did, you combine letters and words, using them as the means by which you create. In this way you can create joy, trust, love and light in others, or you can create sorrow, darkness, illness, and despair. In the second instance you are producing neither true writing nor true speech - nothing but scribbles and gibberish. True evolution consists in learning to use speech, writing, forms and images to attain a divine result, that is to say, to bring elements of the Logos into play so as to create only what is good, beautiful and right. He who works consciously to do this participates in God's own work and, one day, he will be hired as a laborer in God's vineyard.

The work of creation is not finished. The Creator is continuously at work and He needs laborers to carry a little sand or a little plaster for Him. 'Is that all?' you will say. Yes, and there is no need to feel insulted. God is certainly not going to choose us for the most important tasks, but it is a glorious privilege to be allowed to participate in this divine work, however humbly. Examine the life that God has given you. Contemplate all its manifestations as though you were looking at the Lord Himself, and say : 'Henceforth I shall speak and act only with a view to vivifying, soothing, enlightening, warming, encouraging and strengthening other creatures'. Immediately, simply because you make this decision, the Logos starts to find His niche within you and you begin to perceive, more and more clearly, that you possess a multitude of God-given elements. You don't yet know how to use them but, little by little, you will find that they begin to obey you and you become very powerful. The only thing is that you must not be content to pronounce good and beautiful words. You must follow through with them, carry them out to their full accomplishment. Provided you do that, the words you utter will be 'truly truthful truths'.

In conclusion, I would like to tell you a story about myself. I was seventeen at the time, and I felt the need to find a form, a geometrical figure which would fill me with Harmony and Peace when I looked at it. After thinking about it for quite a long time I decided to draw a circle, then, using the same radius, I set off six points at equal distances on the circumference. With these points as the centre, I drew six circles, which gave me a rosette, then I painted the six circles with the six colors of the spectrum, violet, blue, green, yellow, orange and red. The contemplation of this figure lifted me to a state of ecstasy. To me, it was the symbol of perfection. After a little while, however, I felt that something was lacking and, while I was trying to think what it could be, a mysterious impulse drove me to write the first lines of the Gospel of St John under the rosette : 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made'. Why these words? Did I have some special relationship with them? I have no doubt that that is what it was ; in any case, I have thought about them all my life. Today I know why I completed my drawing in this way.

St John revealed the mysteries of the Logos who gives the power to influence the forces of nature. That is his Teaching. If Christians turn their backs on that Teaching and are content to be on the same wavelength as the priest or sacristan, that is their affair, but they have forgotten the mysteries of the Logos which contain all the secrets of the Universe. Do you remember the promises in the letters that St John was told to write to the churches? 'To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it'; 'To him who overcomes I will give to eat of the Tree of Life, which is in midst of the Paradise of God' ; 'He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments' ; 'He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God' ; 'To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with me on my throne'. All these promises are an Initiation into the mysteries of the Word.

Sèvres, 2 March 1958

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov

Smile The Universal Language of the Logos

The Universal Language of the Logos

I can see that you are beginning to be aware of the value of the periods of silence we observe when we are together. But we must go further than that ; we must bring these periods of silence to life by impregnating them with light and love. There is more than one kind of silence - there is such a thing as a sinister silence - and you must learn to sense the difference.

If, every time you come to these gatherings, you are full of love and the joy of having the possibility, at least, to do some spiritual work, you will see that, one day, the climate we have created has attracted Angels. I assure you : Angels will come and go amongst us and pour out on us their perfume, music and color. When that day comes, you will not be so impatient for me to break the silence and start to talk, for what are words compared to such silence ?

Speech is very limited ; the vast majority of our words were forged by ordinary human beings for the ordinary purposes of everyday life. Oh, I know that there are a few words, a few expressions, fit for philosophers and mystics, but they are so few ! That is why, when we want to express Heavenly realities or sensations we often prefer to keep silence. We can best express ourselves by a glance or a gesture or, even, by silence.

Perhaps you will ask, 'Does that mean that speech is ineffective?' By no means ! If it coincides with the Logos, by which I mean, if our words are alive, impregnated with the life of the spirit, they can be as powerful as silence. The Logos belongs to the world of the spirit. The Logos is thought. Simply by thinking, we create, we release creative forces. This is how the Divine Word, the Logos, created and fashioned the universe.

The Logos is a word that has not yet reached the physical plane ; it exists, it is a living reality, but it has not yet been expressed. When you think, it is as though you were speaking ; that silent word is the Logos and it is magically effective. When it is brought down to the physical plane, however, and becomes speech, the Logos loses its efficacy, for goodness only knows how accurately you express yourself and whether you are correctly understood.

Before speaking you formulate a thought and that is the Logos. Then you choose words to express your thought, and that is speech. When you speak, you will not be understood by everybody, only by those who speak the same language as you, whereas, on the level of thought, the whole of nature understands you because you use the universal language that is common to all creatures. Even if they do not speak the same tongue as you, sensitive, receptive human beings will understand what you are thinking ; they will be able to feel it. Some highly evolved and extremely sensitive beings exist who are capable of perceiving a thought as soon as it is formulated. Besides, the spirits of light, the Angels, do not actually use words to speak to each other or to us : they think and their thought is perceived by us as a word.

The Logos is a direct emanation of your inner life and it manifests itself in the invisible world as colors, forms and resonances that are intelligible to all. Speech, on the other hand, expresses itself on the physical plane in the words of a particular language and can only be understood by your compatriots. What problems that creates ! But if you speak inwardly, with all your hear and soul, even plants and birds, animals and insects, even the stars, will understand you, for the language of the heart and soul are universally understood in nature.

The universal language, therefore, is the Logos, whereas speech always gives rise to misunderstandings. People have difficulty in finding the right words to express themselves ; in fact, as they often have no very clear idea of what they really mean, they don't know what they should say. The truth is that speech can become as vital and as potent as the Logos provided that it allows itself to be impregnated by the Logos and that it expresses exactly what the soul and spirit are experiencing. This is why the day will come when human beings no longer speak to each other with words but with the Light, colors and sounds that emanate from them ; and they will understand each other instantly. When you are close to someone who is in pain, you can feel his pain without his telling you about it. And when he is bursting with joy, you can feel that, too. Suffering and joy are languages which can be understood without words ; they are a language that cannot deceive.

The Logos is a synthesis of all the expressions of a man's inner life, of all that emanates from his thoughts and feelings. In this sense it would be true to say that the Logos is often in direct contradiction to a person's speech. Suppose, for instance, that someone detests his neighbor and is planning to ruin him ; he may set out to allay his victim's misgivings and take him in completely by a great show of friendship. Then, too, speech, instead of being a truthful reflection of reality, is often used for no other purpose than to arouse reactions of distrust, hatred or revolt or any other sentiment that it is in the interest of the speaker to arouse.

One day, a woman went to see a psychiatrist. 'Doctor', she said ; 'I'm afraid that I can't be quite normal. For some time now I have found myself telling my friends the truth about my age and how much I weigh !' To tell the truth is often considered abnormal. The normal way to behave is to fabulate, to make oneself out to be better than one really is - and others to be worse than they really are ! So, beware of words. Of course, you might say that, even in these cases, speech still has the magic power of transforming reality. True, but this is not the way it should transform reality !

Now, don't take what I have said to mean that speech is not effective : it is. Thought creates things on a higher level, but speech materializes them by causing particles of matter to adhere to certain lines of force. This is why speech is necessary in order to realize your thoughts and desires on the physical plane. However, before you can achieve this, there is a law that you must know. Let's use an image : the words you use are the barrel of a gun and your thought or desire is the gunpowder. If you don't put any gunpowder in the barrel, you can take aim and pull the trigger as much as you like, but nothing will happen. On the other hand, if your gun has no barrel, you cannot aim your bullets. The barrel gives your projectile direction and the gunpowder gives it power, impetus. First, therefore, you must have potent, ardent thoughts and feelings ; secondly, you must aim them in the desired direction by means of words. A great many people, hearing talk of the power of speech, think that it is sufficient to mutter a few words when they are half asleep and incapable of putting any feeling into them, that in that way they will achieve wonders. Never ! It can't be done that way !

The spirit must always be present and wide awake. When it is, you will have a livelier understanding of things, you will express them better and others will feel that what you say is alive. A great many people, even spiritualists, speak as though they were reciting a text learned by heart ; they put no real thought or sentiment into what they say. And yet they imagine that they are the interpreters and messengers of the Lord. The Lord told them this ... the Lord told them that ... and they hold forth in interminable discourses. As though the Lord imitated the endless babbling of human beings ! On the contrary, when the Lord speaks to us, He does so with extreme brevity. His word is so condensed, such a brief flash of refulgence, that a whole lifetime would not be enough to exhaust its content.

You can speak or pray as much as you like, but it your words are not accompanied by love and conviction, they will fall to the ground and go no further. Psychic energy and words must be combined ; both are necessary. But, be careful : if you collect too much gunpowder, it is liable to explode and burn you. Do you understand what I am saying ? Simply this : when you pray and meditate, you generate energy on the astral and mental planes, and it is necessary to give this energy an outlet. Failure to do so can result in an 'explosion', that is to say in problems due to an excessive buildup of forces and tensions. Words can give these forces the wherewithal to clothe themselves, as it were, to manifest themselves and operate on the physical plane. If you fail to give your accumulated psychic energy an outlet, it will explode and destroy you. If you fail to give your accumulated psychic energy an outlet, it will explode and destroy you. It is very important to project the energy that builds up inside you and give it a goal ; and you can do this with words.

A disciple must practice communicating through thought with all the luminous entities of the invisible world, and invite and attract them to him. And then, so that nothing may be lacking to his prayer, he should conclude with some brief formula, such as, 'Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven'.

A knowledge of these laws can be extraordinarily helpful to you, and not only for your spiritual life. For, although very few people are aware of it, these same laws apply to the relations between men and women. They kiss and sleep together with no element of poetry, no element of the sublime in their desires or their thoughts ; no wonder the results are not all they might be ! They should start by getting their gunpowder ready, that is to say, by cultivating and enhancing true love, tenderness and poetry, by bringing Heaven down to earth ; only when they have done this can they experience it on the physical plane. The trouble is that they are in too much of a hurry.

When an Initiate meditates in silence, he recharges his batteries and builds up the forces within himself so that, when he speaks, his words are pregnant and alive. Before speaking we must fill our words with love and divine power, for the origin and source of all things, the only true power, is the Logos. Speech comes after. First of all, you think and feel ; that is the Logos. Secondly, you find a form in which to clothe your thought, and this form is speech, the words you use in a given language, and your skill with words, with language, may or may not allow you to express yourself adequately. The Logos, however, always and instantly finds appropriate expression, and all creatures, even the Angels and Archangels, can understand it.

As for the communication between us, I tell you frankly that if you relied only on what I say to you on the physical plane, it would be very meagre and even ineffectual, especially as I am sometimes away and there are long periods when I cannot talk to you. On the level of the Logos, however, I talk to you constantly. When I am at home, alone, in the mountains or traveling, I speak to you ceaselessly. If you fail to receive anything, it is because you think that only physical speech is important. This is why I tell you that you must begin to practice here, when we are together : instead of giving way to impatience when the silence lasts a little longer than usual, learn to develop your antennae, to sense that your Master is thinking of you and of your future ; try to divine what he is preparing for you, the future that he is trying to lead you to. There are things which he cannot express on the physical plane, things, even, that he has no right to put into words because there are people who would profane his words. This is why he says these things only in the invisible world where those who have the sensitivity to do so can receive them.

It is quite possible, in fact, that I sometimes sing to you as well. I have not been given much of a voice on the physical plane but I know that I am capable of singing on the invisible plane. When I was still very young, in Bulgaria, I used to go camping with other young brothers, up in the Rila Mountains and, at night, we would sleep all together in the shelters. Sometimes, in the morning, these brothers would tell me that I had sung in my sleep. Apparently they could not understand the words I sang and the song seemed to be very ancient. Also, the voice that I sang with was not my own ; it was a very powerful, very resonant voice which impressed them enormously. I never found out what those songs were because I never remembered having sung anything in my sleep. Perhaps I still do so but, nowadays, there is no one near to hear me.

It is said, 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ... and without Him nothing was made that was made.' God created all things through the Word, that is to say, through the Logos, not through speech, for there can be no speech without air and, in the beginning of the world, air did not exist ; God had not yet created it.

St John wrote his Gospel in Greek, and the Greek word Logos means both 'word' and 'intelligence'*. The Logos, therefore, is not the same speech. Speech stems from the Logos, for it is the expression, the manifestation of thought. The Logos is the cause of which speech is the consequence. And the consequence can sometimes be less than perfect !

* Please refer to footnote 1 at the beginning of this chapter.

Speech is the manifestation on the physical plane of the Logos. The Logos is a plan, a proposal awaiting execution. It could be defined as a scheme or intention destined to express itself in the form of words, gestures or looks, for there is a language of gestures and looks as well as a language of words.

On the physical plane speech is indispensable and, as it is a reflection of the Logos, speech, too, is active. There is no area of life in which actions do not wait on words. A word is withheld and action is suspended ; the word is given and action is set in motion : a man is executed or pardoned, an army is sent into battle or a cease-fire is proclaimed, a position of trust is given to or withdrawn from a colleague, and so on. Speech has great power both for good and for evil because it is an expression of the Logos. You can kill someone simply by telling him some bad news. Who can deny the power of speech ? The only problem is that speech can lie whereas the Logos, of course, can never lie.

One day, a neighbor asked Mullah Nasrudin3 to lend him his donkey. 'I can't', said the Mullah, 'I've already lent him to So-and-so.' At that moment, from the stable, came the braying of the donkey. 'Oh ! Oh !', said the neighbor, 'You're lying. You haven't lent him to anyone. He's there, in the stable.' 'What ?' retorted Mullah Nashrudin furiously, 'Will you doubt my word and believe my donkey ?'

In the future human beings will become conscious of the power of the Logos and will do their best to acquire that power by developing the possibilities of the larynx. In what way? It is basically a question of gaining control of one's sexual energies. Instead of wasting them and allowing them to flow only to the lower levels, men will learn to channel them and turn the flow upwards to animate the larynx. In this way - after practicing for a very long time, of course - human beings will be able to act by speaking. Human speech will become one with the Logos, the Creative Word.

In a foetus the growth of the larynx is associated with the development of the sexual organs, and this is not purely coincidental. When we speak, we use the two principles, masculine and feminine, both of which are present in our mouth in the form of the tongue and lips. Our reproductive organs, however, are either male or female ; on this level, each human being possesses only one principle and has to find the complementary principle in a member of the opposite sex. This is why human beings are not all-powerful : their creative power is split in two. In the future, however, this power will move up to the larynx and, as the larynx expresses itself through the organ that combines the two principles, it will, once again, be all-powerful. At the moment, human speech is still fumbling and feeling its way, trying to adjust itself and coincide with the Logos and, until this adjustment is complete, the results it obtains will necessarily be incomplete. The power of speech is already considerable where human beings are concerned - you can convict or acquit them, comfort them or drive them to despair, lead or mislead them - but it has its limits. And when it comes to rocks and plants and animals, or to the forces and spirits of nature, it has no influence at all. But, in the future, when man has succeeded in developing the omnipotence of the two principles in his larynx, he will be able to command the forces of nature and be truly creative, like God.

There was a time, in the distant past, when men possessed true creative power. The Hyperboreans and Lemurians were hermaphrodites and this gave them great power. In the Banquet, Plato recounts how these races, who rebelled against the authority of Zeus, were punished for their pride by being divided into the two sexes. The Atlanteans were no longer hermaphrodites but they retained some of the powers of their forebears and were punished for misusing hose powers.

Before ever it uses its eyes or ears or nose, a new-bron baby uses its mouth to cry and to suckle ; old men whose sight and hearing have already abandoned them, continue to use their mouths to eat and murmur words. We all eat and drink, speak and sing, but no one has ever really understood the importance of the mouth. The activity can take those who choose to work in that direction to the peak of evolution.

The best and most beautiful manifestation of the union of the masculine and feminine principles is song, when man and women sing together. The fact that a woman's voice tends to rise whereas a man's descends, symbolizes the movement of the spirit that descends to unite with matter and that of matter which rises to become one with the spirit. There is no more marvelous, profound exchange than that effected by the mingling in song of the voices of a man and woman, for true union takes place not on the lower, but on the higher level4.

4: See Complete Works, vol. 14 cap. 1 'The Masculine and Feminine Principles'.

In conclusion, let me tell you that, according to Initiatic Science, the human reproductive organs are destined to degenerate and, in the long run, to disappear altogether. Those of man, first, and then those of woman. The female organs were the first to appear in nature, but it is they that will disappear last. When men and women no longer create children by means of their sexual organs, they will do so by means of the larynx. To be sure, this is still a long, long way ahead but, when this day comes, a couple who want to have a child, will create it in the higher region from which it is destined to come and then, by the power of the Logos, will clothe it in matter, and this matter will be truly physical : it will be in no danger of being reabsorbed like the ectoplasm produced by a medium in a spiritualistic seance. The spirits that are called up in a seance need a material body in order to communicate with those who evoke them and the matter for this body is, as a rule, borrowed from the medium. However, a body formed in this way cannot last long ; it gradually disintegrates as the borrowed particles are reabsorbed by the medium.

This whole question of the Logos, the vocal cords and the larynx is extremely vast and rich ... indeed, essential. A great deal of preparation is necessary, however, before it can be grasped fully, and the great thing to understand is that human beings must first acquire complete control and mastery of themselves before they can hope to make the larynx the seat of their creative powers.

Sèvres, 24 January 1971

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov

Smile The Power of the Logos

The Power of the Logos

Human beings always mean well ! They are always eager to help their fellow men and, very often, in order to do so, they talk to them. But words are a two-edged sword ; they can be used with equal effectiveness to enlighten, help, liberate and edify others or to deceive, injure, enslave or destroy them. In the Apocalypse, St John tells of his vision of that great being Melchizedek, and says that a sharp, two-edged sword issued from his mouth, signifying by this that Melchizedek possessed the omnipotence of the Logos which releases the spirits of good and binds the spirits of evil. And when Jesus said to his disciples, 'Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven', he was giving them this same power of the Logos, the magic 'Word' that has the power to bind and to loose. Human beings no longer possess this power because they are no longer masters of their own thoughts and feelings. They talk and talk but without really knowing what they are saying or why.

Many people, when they have finally succeeded in demolishing someone with their criticism and recriminations, declare, 'I only said it for his own good. I was only being sincere.' It would be more truthful to say that they felt compelled to express their own irritation and anger ; only afterwards do they try to justify their behavior by saying that they were being sincere ! I wonder why it is that they find it necessary to be sincere only when they are angry. Well, however many good reasons human beings may think of to justify what they say, as long as their motives are not truly spiritual and disinterested, their words will never have a beneficial effect on others.

From earliest Antiquity, Initiates have been aware of the power of words. This is why blessings still have a prominent role to play in religious rites. Several times, during the course of the Mass, the priest blesses the faithful. And you have probably seen the Pope on television blessing the people crowding round him, on his visits to various parts of the world or gathered in St Peter's Square in Rome. On specially solemn occasions, he gives the blessing Urbi et orbi, that is to say to the city (Rome) and to the world.

Does a blessing actually do any good ? That depends both on who pronounces it and on who receives it. To 'bless' is to 'say good', in the sense of saying words that effect good, that confer well-being. A true blessing, therefore, is an act of white magic. Of course, for this to be true, the person who utters the blessing must be pure and disinterested and master of himself, while the person to whom the blessing is addressed must, at the very least, be open to it and eager to improve himself and work in the cause of good. If these conditions are not met, the blessing will have no effect. And yet, in spite of everything, it is good to continue to bless with words and gestures in the hope that, one day, when human beings come to realize what they mean, your blessings will, once more, be efficacious.

When I was in India I was very struck to see to what extent people still believed in the power of a blessing. I was entirely unknown in that country and yet I was frequently stopped in the street by men and women who asked me to bless them. You can imagine how surprised I was - and even a little embarrassed - when the owners of big hotels knelt down before me and asked for my blessing. In Europe we are not accustomed to such manifestations of respect and trust. In the Gospels, we read of several occasions on which men and women begged Jesus to say just one word in the hope that that word would restore them to health, deliver them from evil spirits or raise someone from the dead. What confidence they had in the power of speech ! But, I repeat : in order to have power our words must be under our control.

Too many people throw words carelessly to right and left, like lighted matches, setting off fires in their families, amongst their friends or their colleagues at work. How many broken friendships and domestic tragedies are caused by a few spiteful words spoken out of season. With a word you can build a friendship and, with a word, you can destroy it and make a lifelong enemy. Is it really so difficult to hold one's tongue ?

Those who know the power of speech take care never to say any negative words, for they know that malicious spirits take hold of them and, sooner or later, use them as the material support they need in order to carry out their evil designs. Be careful of what you say, therefore, for, even if you don't really mean any harm, evil entities can use the matter supplied by your negative words to make them a reality. You cannot blame them for that ; it is up to you not to supply them with the means to do evil.

There are a lot of countries in which people are in the habit of cursing others : on the slightest pretext they call down curses on their parents, their children, their neighbors and friends. This is a very bad habit for such words create the perfect conditions for disaster. Take care never to do this. Also, never end a conversation by saying something negative about someone, for there is a law which ensures that what you say will continue to have negative repercussions. If you are obliged to criticize someone, do not conclude by dwelling on his faults, for, by virtue of this law, the evil effects of your words will wreak havoc in yourself even before they affect him. Be sure to end on a positive note ; say, for instance, 'Of course, he does have some good points ...' mention them, and then stop talking !

People are ignorant of these subtle details but they are extremely important ; they are all part of the great laws of life. If you fail to respect them on the pretext that you have other, more important things to do, anything you gain from those other things will turn to dust and the precious things you already possess - health, peace and beauty - will abandon you.

A lot of people have the bad habit of speaking at random ; they think that if they say something that is not true or if they overstep the mark, all they have to do is apologize. How wrong they are ! I have already told you the story of the young man who went to ask Muhammad how he could make reparations for the wrong he had done by speaking ill of his neighbor. Muhammad said, 'God and get some feathers and put one in front of every house in the street.' The young man went off to do his bidding and came back the next day saying, 'I did what you told me to do.' Then Muhammad said, 'Now you must go back and pick up all those feathers and bring them to me.' Once again he went away, but, this time, he came back looking very dejected. 'I looked everywhere', he told Muhammad, 'But there was not a single feather to be found. They had all blown away.' 'Yes', said Muhammad, 'That is what happens to your words, too. Once they have blown away you cannot get them back.'

Nobody knows exactly where a word will go, the regions it will travel through or the damage it will do on the way. And, even if you want to undo the damage, it is extremely difficult to do so because, in the meantime, your words have been buried under other layers and it is difficult to dig down and find the spot where the damage was done. Don't delude yourself that you can discharge all your responsibility for the distress or destruction your words may have caused by an apology or by paying damages. Human beings may be satisfied with that, but it will not be sufficient to acquit you in the eyes of astral and cosmic law.

Let me add, too, that if you make a promise, you must keep it. We hear a lot of nice speeches in which people make all kinds of promises. It does not cost much to make a promise. Naturally, it is much easier to say something than to do it, so people take the path of least resistance. Once they have promised something they can feel easy about it ; why worry about actually doing it ! Well, let me tell you that, according to Initiatic Science, a promise is a signature, a commitment, a contract. Your words are put on record on the etheric plane and are just as binding as if they were written. No one can release you from a promise except the person to whom you made it. If that person is disinterested, understanding and full of love, he might release you but, if not, you are just going to have to keep your word. You will say, 'No, no. I can go over his head. I'll ask God to release me.' But even God cannot go against the laws that He Himself has made. He would not dare to transgress them. You will say, 'How can you say He wouldn't dare ? Isn't He all-powerful ?' He is indeed, but that does not mean what religion has so often represented it to mean. The Lord is not capricious. He doesn't suddenly take it into His head to act in direct contradiction to what He has already created and ordained. Having created the world He accepts to live in it and to abide by its laws - which are His own laws. And this is precisely where the greatness of God lies, in the fact that He does not turn the laws of the universe upside down for a whim. Where His creation is not concerned He does as He pleases, but when He acts within His creation He obeys the laws that He Himself has decreed.

This is why even the Lord cannot release you from a promise. It is up to you, before you promise anything, to make sure that you will be capable of keeping your word. You must never say to yourself, 'What's the difference ? I might as well promise. I'm not putting myself under any obligation !' On the contrary : that is not exactly what you are doing. Possibly, on the physical plane, if you have not signed a written promise, no one will be able to prove anything against you. But your words continue to exist on the subtle plane, not on paper, but on film : a film with a soundtrack has been made of you and your words.

Divine Justice does not need a paper to prove what human beings say or do. It is all recorded on film and magnetic tape. How do you think men could ever have invented photographs, films and sound recordings if the principles involved did not already exist in nature ?

A good frame of reference that can help you to know yourself and judge your degree of evolution is the use you make of the gift of speech. Analyse yourself and ask yourself whether you speak thoughtlessly, whether what you say is disjointed, exaggerated, self-seeking or malicious. And, having analyzed yourself, guard your tongue. Before saying something, ask yourself why you want to say it : is it in order to do good, to enlighten, liberate or heal someone ? Or is it in order to settle a grudge or to mislead or humiliate someone and, in this way, satisfy the inclinations of your lower nature ? In this case it would be better to say nothing. In fact, generally speaking, it would be better if people talked less. It is very often what people say that holds them back on the lower rungs of the ladder of evolution. Here, in the Brotherhood, we devote a great deal of time to prayer, meditation and lectures. All these things are designed to give you a glimpse of the most profound truths and to fill your hearts with love and your minds with light and help you to see the meaning of life more clearly. But you have no sooner left this room than you start chattering about all kinds of trivial, unimportant things and, within a few minutes, all that you had gained is lost.

Try to be more careful about this, in future, and when you are with other brothers and sisters, talk about constructive, edifying subjects so that, when you go your separate ways, each of you has cause to think of the others with gratitude : 'Bless them for all their good words ; for the things they said that have given me a little more courage and a more positive view of life ; for their words that have given me the determination never to abandon the ways of light'. Words are seeds and seeds sprout and become either flowers and fruit or thorns and poisonous plants that infect all those who receive them.

Man alone possesses the power of speech and it is thanks to this faculty that civilizations and cultures have flourished. And, when men felt the need to conserve their words, the art of writing developed. Thanks to speech, man is all-powerful, for true magic is intelligent, luminous, sensible, harmonious, musical speech, the speech that flows from God, from the Fountainhead. Christ is the Logos, the word of God. In the Sephirotic Tree of Life, the Logos is the second Sephirah, Chokmah, the Wisdom that comes from Kether. Chokmah contains all the elements, numbers and letters with which God created the universe. Chokmah is the region of Christ, the region of Eternal Glory, for Christ is the Glory, the Word of God. This is why Jesus said, 'I am the light of the world'. Christ, the Logos, is the universal key which unlocks the Fifty Gates of Life.

He who works to make his speech powerful, harmonious and alive already begins to possess this key which can open all doors to him and enable him to accomplish marvels, in himself, first of all, but also in others and in the whole of nature. This is the glory, the extraordinary future that awaits human beings : the power to act on matter by means of the Word.

If mothers knew the power of the Word, they would take care to use that power by applying certain methods designed to develop exceptional qualities and virtues in their children. Even at an age when her baby is far too young to understand words, a mother can speak to him and tell him of all her dearest wishes for him. While the child is sleeping, she can hold him in her arms and, with all her love and conviction, talk of her dreams for him. The baby, naturally, will neither hear nor understand a word of it, but - and this is what people don't realize - speech creates forms ; it fashions, condenses and projects itself into reality. In the baby's subconscious are forces that will hear and record the mother's words and these forces will continue to influence it for the rest of its life. They will trigger all kinds of inherent possibilities in his brain and heart, in every organ and every cell of his body so that, one day, the virtues his mother dreamed of for him will manifest themselves5.

5: See Education Begins Before Birth (Collection Izvor, No. 203)

Why shouldn't this be possible ? At the Bonfin there are some young olive and almond trees and, when they were planted, I began to talk to them and ask them to produce an abundance of succulent fruit. And, I can assure you, those trees heard me. You only have to go and look at them to see what exceptional trees they have become. The olives and almonds they produce are enormous ! And, the other day, I saw a television program about certain peasant communities in Mexico in which the peasants talk to their vegetables as they plant them, with the result that they are not only very tasty but also (we actually could see this on the screen) exceptionally big and beautiful. Those peasants are not Initiates, but they have obviously preserved some of the ancient traditions taught by their Sages of past centuries who knew that man could accomplish a great deal by the power of speech. Even with plants ! Plants have no brains and no nervous system ; they don't understand words, they can't read, they have never been to school and yet man can do some extraordinary things with them. So why not with a child ?

It is not only Christ that is the Logos. You, too, are the Logos. If this were not so, if you were not of the same nature, the same quintessence, as the Christ, how could you do the things He does ? It was He himself who said, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in me, the works that I do he will do also ; and greater works than these will he do', This is why the ideal of a disciple is to resemble the Divine Logos more and more closely. In order to accomplish this, he has to learn to purify the Logos that is in him, to make it stronger, more alive and more harmonious, and the very first rule, in doing this, is to take the resolution to become fully conscious and to control yourself ; to say to yourself, 'I must not let all kinds of words slip from me ; I must stay in control so that the Logos within me becomes effective, constructive and divine.'

In this way, one day, you will be capable of speaking to the spirits of nature. When they see that you are cultivating the art of guarding your words and that you realize that speech is a divine energy, they will begin to listen to your prayers and to give you what you ask for.

You must know that, without the knowledge that you receive here, you will not get very far. When it is time for you to come before the Judges of souls in the invisible world, you will hear them say to you, 'Speak'. Then you will try to choose just the right words and to speak with great eloquence , but the Judges will pay no attention to your words ; they know that words can lie. What they will listen to are the vibrations and the resonance of your voice ; it is the truth of your voice that will tell them whether what you say is true or false. You will be judged by the authenticity of your voice. I repeat, when a man comes before his supreme Judges, they say to him, 'Speak'. Then, stepping forward, he must say, 'Forms of Eternity, behold, I am here', and they need nothing more in order to judge him. The power of speech is not only in words but in the vibrations of the voice. In the Mysteries no one was taught words of magic if they had not earned the right to that knowledge or were incapable of pronouncing them correctly.

The Bonfin, 1 September 1962

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov

Excerpt from the Book "The Fruits of The Tree of Life, The Cabbalistic Tradition" Vol. 32

+ Reply to Thread