+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Judge: Poker Pro Ivey, Pal Broke Gambling Rules in $10M Win

  1. #1

    Default Judge: Poker Pro Ivey, Pal Broke Gambling Rules in $10M Win

    I'm really not surprised to hear that the judge ruled in favor of the house. Phil has ten bracelets, the article states that he has nine.


    A federal judge ruled on Friday that poker pro Phil Ivey and a companion violated state gambling regulations in the way they won nearly $10 million at cards at an Atlantic City casino.
    U.S. District Court Judge Noel Hillman determined that the pair did not meet their obligation to follow gambling regulations on four occasions in 2012 by having a dealer at the Borgata arrange Baccarat cards so they could tell what kind of card was coming next.
    By shifting the odds in their favor, they violated the New Jersey Casino Control Act, the judge ruled. He threw out allegations by the Borgata that the pair had committed fraud, and the casino now has 20 days to outline the damages it says it suffered.
    "Borgata and Ivey had the same goal when they entered into their arrangement: to profit at the other's expense," the judge wrote. "Trust is a misplaced sentiment in this context."
    Ivey has won nine World Series of Poker bracelets. Lawyers for him and the casino did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.
    The Borgata claimed the pair exploited a defect in cards that enabled them to sort and arrange good cards. The casino says the technique, called edge sorting, violates state casino gambling regulations. But Ivey asserts his win was simply the result of skill and good observation.
    The Borgata claims the cards used in the games were defective in that the pattern on the back was not uniform. The cards have rows of small white circles designed to look like the tops of cut diamonds, but the Borgata says some of them were only half-diamonds or quarters. Ivey has said he simply noticed things that anyone playing the game could have observed and bet accordingly.
    The judge noted that Ivey and companion player Cheng Yin Sun instructed dealers to arrange the cards in a certain way, which is permitted under the rules of the game, after Sun noticed minute differences in them. But he ruled those actions did violate state Casino Control Act and their contractual obligation to abide by it in gambling at the casino.
    Ivey and Sun, the judge wrote, "view their actions to be akin to cunning, but not rule-breaking, maneuvers performed in many games, such as a play-action pass in American football, or the 'Marshall swindle' in chess."
    He said "Sun's mental acumen" in distinguishing the tiny differences in the patterns on the back of the cards was "remarkable."
    "But even though Ivey and Sun's cunning and skill did not break the rules of Baccarat," the judge wrote, "what sets Ivey and Sun's actions apart from deceitful maneuvers in other games is that those maneuvers broke the rules of gambling as defined in this state."

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-poker-pro-ivey-pal-broke-gambling-rules-42978759

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Judge

    So according to the judge my STinging over a recent 2 day casino stay would mean giving all my money won back to the casino because of his amazingly tortured ruling!!

    There is a major threat to society today from activist judges on every level, they must be reigned in.

    When I hear, as I did at the 3rd debate, the type of SCOTUS judges hitlery will introduce for confirmation, it should strike terror into every citizen voter with even the modicum of a brain!

    Real Patriot,
    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

  3. #3
    Boz's Avatar
    Boz is offline Major Asshole Bet Welshing Loser - BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    When I hear, as I did at the 3rd debate, the type of SCOTUS judges hitlery will introduce for confirmation, it should strike terror into every citizen voter with even the modicum of a brain!
    Said the Creepy Cowardly Lion to the Burger King Scarecrow.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    So according to the judge my STinging over a recent 2 day casino stay would mean giving all my money won back to the casino because of his amazingly tortured ruling!!

    There is a major threat to society today from activist judges on every level, they must be reigned in.

    When I hear, as I did at the 3rd debate, the type of SCOTUS judges hitlery will introduce for confirmation, it should strike terror into every citizen voter with even the modicum of a brain!

    Real Patriot,
    CP
    That's good to hear that you had a recent successful trip. I wouldn't give it back. The judges are there to protect the hen house, always ruling in favor of their corporate masters.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    That's good to hear that you had a recent successful trip. I wouldn't give it back. The judges are there to protect the hen house, always ruling in favor of their corporate masters.

    Blitz, Thanks. I also had a very nice win at 1/2 NL poker, played tight, and walked away with a very large pot.

    Friend,
    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    Blitz, Thanks. I also had a very nice win at 1/2 NL poker, played tight, and walked away with a very large pot.

    Friend,
    CP
    It's always a good outing when you win in multiple games at the casino. That's a good feeling. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Gambling Probe Charges Pro Poker Player
    By Brutus in forum Casino Anecdotes & Trip Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
  2. "Gambling With an Edge - Richard Marcus author of Dirty Poker"
    By Blitzkrieg in forum Casino Anecdotes & Trip Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2016, 02:02 AM
  3. Hey, My Leg Broke
    By Katz in forum Anything Else But
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 4th, 2013, 07:14 AM
  4. Obey The Rules? What Rules?
    By Katweezel in forum Anything Else But
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM
  5. Fed. Judge rules against Bush's "state secrets"
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts