+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exorcism: Catholic Dark Ages Bullshit

Default Exorcism: Catholic Dark Ages Bullshit

Does the Church Perform Exorcisms?
    • FR. WILLIAM SAUNDERS
    I was watching the movie "The Exorcist" with some of my friends. Can the devil really possess someone? Does the Church really do exorcisms? I heard that the movie is based on a real story. Is that true?

The devil and his demons can indeed possess an individual. The New Testament presents several stories of diabolical possession and our Lords exorcism of the demons. For instance, Jesus exorcized the demons (who identify themselves as legion ) of Gerasa.

The possessed man was so strong he was able to pull apart the chains that bound him and smash them. In the end, the demons entered the swine and destroyed them. (Cf. Mark 5:1-20). In each of the exorcism stories, we see the power of Christ triumphantly vanquishing the devil and his demons.

Christ also empowered the Apostles to cast out demons in His name: Then He summoned His 12 disciples and gave them authority to expel unclean spirits and to cure sickness and disease of every kind (Matthew 10:1). The practice of exorcism is recorded in the writings of the early Church Fathers, including St. Justin Martyr (d. 165), Tertullian (d. 230), and St. Cyril of Jerusalem (d. 386). Over the course of the centuries, the Church has well documented cases of possession and exorcism, including the one to which the reader refers.

Given this brief Biblical and historical foundation, we can better examine the issue. Father Jordan Aumann, O.P., a noted professor of spiritual theology, offers the following definition: Diabolical possession is a phenomenon in which the devil invades the body of a living person and moves the faculties and organs as if he were manipulating a body of his own. The devil truly resides within the body of the unfortunate victim, and he operates in it and treats it as his own property. Those who suffer this despotic invasion are said to be possessed (Spiritual Theology, p. 408).

However, the soul cannot be entered or overcome and thus remains free; in a sense, the soul really the person is like in a state of suspended animation. Pope Benedict XIV in his teaching De servorum Dei beatificatione, et beatorum canonizatione stated, Demons, in the individuals whom they possess, are like motors within the bodies which they move, but in such a way that they impress no quality on the body nor do they give it any new mode of existence nor, strictly speaking, do they constitute, together with the possessed person, a single being.

In determining whether a person is possessed by the devil or his demons, the Church would first make sure he underwent thorough physical and psychiatric examinations. Eliminating these natural causes, Church officials would seek other signs: unexplainable physical phenomena, such as levitation or the uncaused movement of objects; the knowledge and usage of archaic languages which the person would have no way of previously knowing, such as speaking Aramaic; and the secret knowledge of a persons life, particularly the exorcist, which no other person would know.

The devil also reveals his presence by acts of anger and violence, and through blasphemous, sacrilegious, profane, and obscene remarks. The bishop would authorize an exorcism only after serious examination and a careful weighing of all of the evidence.

The Roman Ritual prescribes a Rite of Exorcism, a series of prayers, blessings and invocations in the exorcizing of the devil. The holy arsenal of weapons used in an exorcism include sacramental confession, the reception of Holy Communion, fasting and prayer (particularly saying the Rosary), the use of sacramentals (like blessings with holy water, the presence of a crucifix or other religious images), blessings with the relics of saints, and the invocation of the names of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St. Michael.

The ritual is repeated until the devil is cast out of the person, at which time the exorcist petitions God to never permit the devil to possess the person again.

During the course of the diabolical possession and even the exorcism, the person has not only periods of crisis when the struggle with evil is most apparent, but also periods of calm when one thinks the possession has ended. Interestingly, after the exorcism, the person does not remember what transpired while being possessed.

Why would God allow the devil to possess someone? We must remember that we all contend with the temptations of the Prince of this World. After all, we are the weak victims of Original Sin and need Gods grace to do what is holy and good. Consequently,

spiritual writers think that a person has some initial openness to such a possession, through, for example, living a mortally sinful lifestyle, the habitual practice of evil, the desire to explore the occult and the fascination with forms of spiritism, magic, and sorcery.

Given this explanation of diabolical possession and exorcism, next week Straight Answers will relay some facts about the story which served as a basis for both the book and the movie, The Exorcist.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/...exorcisms.html

An Exorcism Prayer - Warning: To be said by a Priest only

This is a prayer against Satan and his rebellious angels. It was published by the Order of His HolinessPope Leo XIII.

This simple prayer must be said by a priest only.

The term "exorcism"" does NOT always denote a solemn exorcism involving a person possessed by the devil. In general, the term denotes prayers to "curb the power of the devil and prevent him from doing harm." As St. Peter had written in Holy Scripture, "your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking whom he may devour." [1 St.Pet. 5:8]

The Holy Father exhorts priests to say this prayer as often as possible, as a simple exorcism to curb the power of the devil and prevent him from doing harm. The faithful also may say it in their own name, for the same purpose, as any approved prayer. Its use is recommended whenever action of the devil is suspected, causing malice in men, violent temptations and even storms and various calamities. It could be used as a solemn exorcism (an official and public ceremony, in Latin), to expel the devil. It would then be said by a priest, in the name of the Church and only with a Bishop's permission.

Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel
    In the Name of the Father,
    and of the Son,
    and of the Holy Ghost.
    Amen.

Most glorious Prince of the Heavenly Armies,
    Saint Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in "our battle against principalities and
    powers,
    against the rulers of this world of darkness,
    against the spirits of wickedness in the high places"
    [Eph., 6:12].

Come to the assistance of men whom God has created to His
    likeness
    and whom He has redeemed at a great price from the tyranny
    of the devil.

The Holy Church venerates you as her guardian and
    protector;
    to you, the Lord has entrusted the souls of the redeemed
    to be led into heaven.

Pray therefore the God of Peace to crush Satan beneath our
    feet,
    that he may no longer retain men captive and do injury to
    the Church.

Offer our prayers to the Most High,
    that without delay they may draw His mercy down upon us;
    take hold of "the dragon, the old serpent, which is the
    devil and Satan,"

bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit
    "that he may no longer seduce the nations." [Rev. 20:2-3]

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=682

Last edited by Katz; March 22nd, 2016 at 05:39 PM.

Last edited by Katz; November 14th, 2016 at 04:34 PM.

Default Katz

Katz, there are things that happen that no one can understand, I just leave it at that.

CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

The Catholic church performs thousands of exorcisms each year, and Pope Francis has said that he believes that Satan is real, and that the battle against evil is one that he must fight every day. In May of 2013, the newly-elected Pope allegedly performed a brief exorcism live on camera.

As he was moving down the line of disabled people, offering blessings, the Pontiff paused before a boy in a wheelchair. Grasping the boy by the head, the boy shuddered and gasped before going limp.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    Katz, there are things that happen that no one can understand, I just leave it at that.

CP
    Yep, we talked of this before. I'm curious as to if your NAI culture had a Satan/devil/demon/evil teaching or beliefs.

Satan is a Jewish invention. Christians [and Jews and Muslims] have a powerful belief in Satan. Some Christian cults invented two worlds: one down here where 'Satan' rules in his domain and one up there where god and Jesus hang out. LOL

30In the distance a large herd of pigs was feeding. 31So the demons begged Jesus, “If You drive us out,send us into the herd of pigs.” 32“Go!” He told them. So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and perished in the waters.… Matthew 8 31

Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

Note the swine story does not say who heard Jesus say that, or who was the witness. That alone casts serious doubt... hearsay and fiction. As for the content, only deluded Christians can believe that obvious pig and demon fairy tale. Ridiculous.

The John quote demonstrates the FAIL of Christianity and the FAIL of the Jew god Yahweh. If the devil exists and still does evil, then Yahweh failed. Yahweh was supposedly all-powerful, all-knowing but was apparently unable to deal with Satan. In fact Satan has it all over Yahweh, who can do nothing about it. What a load of codswallop is Christianity and the others.

Last edited by Katz; November 15th, 2016 at 02:34 AM.

The Next Time Someone Uses The Bible To Say Homosexuality Is A Sin, Show Them This.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident. It's funny, AND informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath.. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan, Jim.

+ Reply to Thread