+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pot Smoking Poker Pros Trump Asset Forfeiture

Default Pot Smoking Poker Pros Trump Asset Forfeiture

Judge allows two men to sue police who seized
    $100k in poker winnings in civil forfeiture case

In April 2013 William Davis and John Newmerzhycky were driving back to California from a World Series of Poker event. They were pulled over in Iowa—the cops claimed they didn't use their signal when changing lanes. A subsequent search turned up just over $100,000 in cash and a little bit of marijuana, and the cops just had to take that money. They let the men leave sans money with a citation for possession of marijuana paraphernalia (carrying a $65 fine). Well, now those two men are suing, and a judge says they can.

U.S. District Judge James Gritzner chose not to dismiss the lawsuit brought against troopers Justin Simmons and Eric VanderWiel, as well as Desert Snow, an increasingly-scrutinized private company that trains officers on conducting roadside searches to find drugs, cash, guns and other contraband. The lawsuit and civil liberties advocates have criticized Desert Snow for teaching questionable practices, such as singling out vehicles with out-of-state plates for stops and searches.

The men have said that in suing the police and the private "training" company, they hope to get back some of the money it cost to get back their stolen money in the first place. In the video you can see that they actually do signal when changing lanes and you get to watch, firsthand, how absolutely sleazy and unethical these police officers can be when they smell money.

“Do you got any drugs?” Simmons asked on the video recording that was later obtained by his lawyer. “Any large amounts of U.S. currency?”

“Absolutely not,” Newmer*zhycky said.
    “Nothing in there? Could I search your car?”
    “I don’t see any reason to. I’m not going to consent to that.”
    “Okay. I’m just asking you if I can,” Simmons said.
    “No.”

Well, that's that, right? Well, no it isn't.

MORE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Afo...ature=youtu.be

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default Pigs-Thieves!!!

God Bless,,,,The ,,,..U,,,S,,,A,,,,all now stand and place your hand over your heart, remove your hat, while we sing the national anthem and pledge allegiance,,,,,, Fuck you!!

The Poker player should have said no to waiting and drove off then and there!!

"Ya, I am nervous, that is a gun you are carrying, and it is loaded with real bullets, and I watch the news and see that you police shoot many unarmed people and even those following your demands or simply running away from a traffic stop, now we are done here and i am leaving!"

Also, never answer any questions, "do you have any currency on you", WTF,,no I travel with no currency,,,NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS, Give drivers license, registration and proof of insurance, engage in NO CONVERSATION with these violators of the US Bill Of Rights, they are crooks and thieves!!

CP
    A True Patriot!
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    The Poker player should have said no to waiting and drove off then and there!!

Also, never answer any questions, "do you have any currency on you", WTF,,no I travel with no currency,,,NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS, Give drivers license, registration and proof of insurance, engage in NO CONVERSATION with these violators of the US Bill Of Rights, they are crooks and thieves!!

A True Patriot!
    This is how it's done ...

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

I hope they get their currency back. It all seems like a rookie mistake to me which never should have happened. The poker pros should have been smarter than that. One miscalculation and the boys in blue were knee deep in their rear view. Riding hot like they were they should have used more caution carrying a bundle of currency, and always check the rear view mirror to see who is behind you. They gave the cops a reason to pull them over, they know cops can be dicks when not following standard procedures when changing lanes. Mary Jane combined with a bundle of currency is also a fuck up by the pros, especially in a traffic stop.

Default ESP: Equitible Sharing Program

"InJustice Department Resumes Armed Robbery Sharing Program With Local Cops

"In January 2015, before leaving his position, former Attorney General Eric Holder appeared to do something honorable: He announced that state and local officials would no longer be allowed to use federal law to seize private property such as cash or cars without evidence that a crime was committed.

While Holder did not end the program -- called "equitable sharing" -- entirely, his limits were the first ever to be placed on the program in its three-decade existence. This seemed to be a positive change, especially considering that asset forfeiture has more than doubled under Obama.

"Civil asset forfeiture is, simply put, the government stealing your property -- including but not limited to cash, jewelry, cars, and even homes -- without charging or convicting you with a crime.

"The feds' equitable sharing program allows police to take property from citizens under federal civil forfeiture law instead of the applicable state law. This is a great deal for law enforcement because federal law makes civil forfeiture both relatively easy and rewarding -- as much as 80 percent of the proceeds are returned to the seizing agency. Sounds sort of like, I don’t know…how a mafia operates, doesn't it? You rob and extort from people, give the boss a cut, and you keep the rest of the money.

"The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments [are supposed to] prohibit the governmental takings of life, liberty or property without due process of law.

"But this program has given government a way around that.

"In civil asset forfeiture cases the government proceeds directly against your property. An individual doesn’t need to be convicted of a crime, so criminal procedure does not apply. And because the forfeiture is against the property, the owner is a third party claimant in related court proceedings.

"Because the case is against the property and not the owner, court cases have names like these:

"United States v. $124,700 in U.S. Currency

"State v. One 2012 Mercedes Benz

"United States v. One Gold Necklace

"You see, property doesn't have Constitutional rights (it could be argued that humans no longer have them either, but I digress). The hundred dollar bills in your wallet, your expensive watch, and your vehicle don't have the right to an attorney.

"Often, the cost of going to court to try to get your stolen property back costs more than the value of the items. For example, in the [District of Criminals] Washington, D.C., it can cost up to twenty-five hundred dollars simply for the right to challenge a police seizure in court, which can take months or even years to resolve.

"Asset forfeiture creates huge incentives for law enforcement officers to 'police for profit.' The money can be used for salaries and to purchase advanced equipment and all kinds of fun stuff for police departments.

"In late 2014, Obama announced that his choice for Holder's replacement as AG was Loretta Lynch, who was then the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Those who pay attention to matters like civil asset forfeiture were alarmed when Lynch announced that her office seized over $904 million in asset forfeitures -- in 2013 alone.

"I wondered if Lynch was going to allow Holder's reforms to remain in place.

"Today, I got my answer.

"The [In]Justice Department announced yesterday [March 28?, 2016] that it is resuming its equitable sharing program.

"The limits Holder placed on the program outraged law enforcement groups, which isn't surprising, considering that police departments were reaping some serious benefits from the program. According to a November 2015 report by the Institute for Justice called Policing for Profit, between 2000 and 2013, the Justice Department paid local and state agencies more than $4.7 billion in equitable sharing proceeds....

"Despite growing awareness (and outrage), asset forfeiture is growing fast -- in 2014 alone, federal authorities seized over $5 billion in assets.

"That's more than the amount of money lost in every single burglary that year.

"Let that sink in for a moment.

"Who are the real criminals in the US?

"Enough with the Orwellian doublespeak -- let's just call 'civil asset forfeiture' and 'equitable sharing' what they are: armed robbery by government thugs."

Read the full article at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/injus...al-cops_032016

Similar article at: http://www.activistpost.com/2016/03/...-business.html
    Last edited by Dodo; March 30th, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread