+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Tesla Roadster' Electric Supercar

Default 'Tesla Roadster' Electric Supercar

Batteries Included

The world's first lithium-ion supercar is here.
    Zero emissions never looked so hot.

By Joshua Davis |Wired.com

Martin Eberhard holds the brake down with his left foot and presses on the accelerator with his right. The motor revs, the car strains against the brake. I hear … almost nothing. Just a quiet whine like the sound of a jet preparing for takeoff 5 miles away. We’re belted into a shimmering black sports car on a quiet, tree-lined street in San Carlos, California, 23 miles south of San Francisco. It has taken Eberhard three years to get this proto-type ready for mass production, but with the backing of PayPal cofounder Elon Musk, Google’s Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and ex-eBay chief Jeff Skoll, he has created Silicon Valley’s first real auto company.

“You see any cops?” Eberhard asks, shooting me a mischievous look. The car is vibrating, ready to launch. I’m the first journalist to get a ride.

He releases the brake and my head snaps back. One-one-thousand: I get a floating feeling, like going over the falls in a roller coaster. Two-one-thousand: The world tunnels, the trees blur. Three-one-thousand: We hit 60 miles per hour. Eberhard brakes. We’re at a standstill again – elapsed time, nine seconds. When potential buyers get a look at the vehicle this summer, it will be among the quickest production cars in the world. And, compared to other supercars like the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, and Lamborghini Diablo, it’s a bargain. More intriguing: It has no combustion engine.

...continued here - http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/tesla.html

Now, if I had $80,000 that wasn't part of my BR, THAT would be a sporty I'd definitely have to have!
    Mike A

That is very impressive for an electric car!
    IM A HIGH ROLLER ON A BUDGET!!

Here's another new electric car -

----------------
    World's first high-speed all-electric sport utility truck
    to be launched by Phoenix Motorcars

by Mike Adams / NewsTarget

Earth-friendly, energy-efficient vehicles that produce zero emissions seem to be from a dream of the future. But several companies are already well on their way to introducing such vehicles in North America and around the world. Recently, more than 400 environmentalists, investors and celebrities gathered for the unveiling and induction of the only five-passenger, all-electric, freeway-speed sport utility trucks at Los Angeles' famed Peterson Automotive Museum, and there, they nabbed a sneak peak at the newest electric automobile soon to be launched: The Phoenix Motorcars "SUT" or sport-utility truck.

These new SUT vehicles will be made available by Phoenix Motorcars (www.phoenixmotorcars.com) for full release in 2008, but if you are lucky enough to live in California, a limited number of vehicles will be released to selected consumers in late 2007.

...more - http://www.newstarget.com/021918.html

SEE ALSO -
    Who Killed The Electric Car?

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

September 27, 2007

The Electric Car, Part 2: The Tesla Roadster

By DAVID POGUE

Last week in this newsletter, I offered a transcript of an interview with Bob Lutz, the man behind Chevy's electric car, the Volt.

Several of you sent me outraged messages like this one: "How could you profile the Chevy Volt and ignore the Tesla electric roadster? You should stick to reviewing gadgets!"

Ahem. Had these readers actually watched my "CBS News Sunday Morning" segment online, they'd realize that I actually gave the Tesla star billing.

Nonetheless, here, to even the score, is a transcript excerpt from my Tesla interview, which I conducted with then-chief executive Martin Eberhard at Tesla's headquarters in Silicon Valley. (He's no longer the chief executive, having taken the post of president of technology. He claims he wasn't spending enough time on the engineering stuff he loves.)

In any case, enjoy this transcript, which is much more complete than what we could air on TV. (I'm confident that it will generate outraged reader mail that says, "How could you ignore the Chevy Volt? Do some reporting, you idiot!")

David Pogue: So give me the gist of the Tesla Roadster. Zero to 60 in...?

Martin Eberhard: This is zero to 60 in under four seconds.

DP: And the range of the battery is?

ME: It's over 200 miles. [DP note: This week, the Environmental Protection Agency concluded its testing of the Tesla. Its official measurement: 245 miles per charge.]

DP: And time to recharge the battery?

ME: From empty to full, about three and a half hours.

DP: O.K. And price of the car?

ME: This is a $98,000 base model.

...more - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/te...071&ei=5087%0A
    Last edited by zengrifter; September 30th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Here's another new electric car -

World's first high-speed all-electric sport utility truck
    to be launched by Phoenix Motorcars
    Dumb idea. Car manufacture's really should be LEADING the way back towards small cars. not stupid suvs. 100 miles a charge. nice! what about when you're stuck in So Cal Traffic making a 30 mile round trip to wherever. what happens when your AC takes the other 70 miles of that charge when you're stuck in 3 hours of traffic?

At least the Volt has some good ideas going for it, and since GM made an electric car already maybe they can pull it off. I'd consider one, but it is FUGLY and oh yeah it is american made. the volt has the right idea, a 40 mile per charge commuter car with a gas generator, that still yields an insane MPG if you use the generator.

currently i drive a civic hybrid - if tesla makes an affordable sedan/coupe (i.e. $20-$30K) then it would be something for me to consider. otherwise i honestly think using biodiesel (or for the adventurous used veg. oil) is still the most energy efficient means of long distance auto transportation.

next car for me is slated to be a new '08? volks TDI (supposed to get 55mpg on diesel, will just use biodiesel instead). well if it can pass CA emissions.... hmmm.
    "I've seen people arrested in the bathroom and that's not the way it's done." -Automatic Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosine View Post
    Dumb idea. Car manufacture's really should be LEADING the way back towards small cars. not stupid suvs. 100 miles a charge. nice!
    New lithium batteries are getting 2.5x that NOW, and charge off any 120v 0tlet in under 4hrs.
    Electric car tech was ready a decade ago, thats why industry killed it. zg

Default Elon Musk, Goddamn Globalist!!!

"CONTROL: TESLA UNLOCKS BATTERY RESERVE AFTER IRMA VICTIMS COMPLAIN

Musk grants some drivers extra battery usage" https://www.infowars.com/tesla-allow...ape-hurricane/

If anyone thinks that Elon Musk's worldly views are in line with that of Nikola Tesla, they are idiots! Musk is a total Globalist! In line with the Bankers! Elon Musk has perverted and distorted Tesla's views on how he thought the world should work. Musk is a disgrace.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; September 12th, 2017 at 03:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread