+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scientists: Marijuana Doesn't Harm Your Lungs

Default Scientists: Marijuana Doesn't Harm Your Lungs

One can remember when the federal government claimed that ...
    ... "one marijuana cigarette is worse for your lungs than a pack of tobacco smokes."

Evolving attitudes about marijuana among the majority of Americans, as well as decriminalization laws starting to sweep the nation, have done little to quell questions about the health effects of longtime use among medical professionals, lawmakers, and people on both sides of an ongoing debate about the plant.

Even with a dearth of research, the general consensus in past decades has been that smoking marijuana regularly poses significant health risks. A new study out of Emory University in Atlanta, however, could challenge what has become the fundamental argument for maintaining the plant’s designation as a Schedule 1 drug.

“Lifetime marijuana use up to 20 joint-years is not associated with adverse changes in spirometric (exhalation strength) measures of lung health,” the study, featured in the medical journal Annals of the American Thoracic Society, concluded. In an effort to measure marijuana’s impact on lung function, researchers used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys to conduct a cross-sectional analysis measuring participants’ forced expiratory volume — defined as the amount of air one can forcibly exhale in one second. They found that adults between the ages of 18 and 59 who smoke one marijuana cigarette, also known as a joint, per day had the same expiratory volume as someone who didn’t partake in the plant.

continue reading: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015...-pot-research/

I have to disagree with this. I've seen many people who smoke cigarettes and mary jane have respiratory issues and be diagnosed with COPD. The pulmonary function tests only measured exhalation for 1 second, they should have done a complete pulmonary function test (PFT). Marijuana smokers can be stricken with COPD. In my opinion only measuring the volume for 1 second is not even near enough data to make a scientific conclusion.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:48 PM.

Why even smoke it anymore? Are the other products just as good for a high?
    Remember...farm boy, sheltered life, Yankee, never met a NEGRO till I joined the service at 18' etc etc.....
    Enlighten me........

Mac
    Last edited by zengrifter; January 23rd, 2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: negro
    So look buddy it's nothing personal, but either your the unluckiest person in the world or your stealing from me. Either way............ I WANT NO PART OF YOU!!!!!! NEVER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
    Remember...farm boy, sheltered life, Yankee, never met a BLACK MAN till I joined the service at 18' etc etc.....
    Enlighten me........
    When you vaporize it you do not get the smoke-tar by-product, only pure vaporized natural cannabinoids.
    As for edibles, the effect when you eat quality foodstuffs infused with the natural THC, the effect is more opiate-like.

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Ok ZG...lol....opiate like?? Hmmmmmmm

A ZG/CP sponsored Bash in Blackhawk. ZG in charge of info and instruction of proper use of Cannibis. CP on use of STing and BJ in general. I can give some insite into HCing, no pun intended. We can have ole Froggo show some machine tricks of which he is quite versed in now.
    Any of the former Bash attendees would be welcome in my book. Wonder what Katz could bring to the table? Maybe he has a down under accent that would keep us all amused? Or?

Mac
    So look buddy it's nothing personal, but either your the unluckiest person in the world or your stealing from me. Either way............ I WANT NO PART OF YOU!!!!!! NEVER!!!!

Wonder what Katz could bring to the table?
    He's bringing Parpaluck.
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Remember...farm boy, sheltered life, Yankee, never met a NEGRO till I joined the service at 18' etc etc.....
    Enlighten me........

Mac
    I do believe that marijuana is a safer alternative than smoking tobacco. Why smoke it? To enjoy the effects and to get a buzz, for others it may be for medicinal purposes. It's like pouring yourself a glass of high dollar whiskey after a long hard day, it takes the edge off and relaxes the person. The lawmakers, doctors, and governments know the dangers of tobacco, they've seen the statistics that's why they want the population smoking cigarettes because they know it kills the user quicker. The fad with the e-cigs is unknown to me but I would have to think that there are risks associated with using those products as well. I've asked tobacco sales people at tobacco shops to tell me where these products are made at and not one of them has been able to give me an answer. I wonder if it's China. I don't trust the flavored tobacco e-cig vials. My thinking is that it has to be able to kill you in one form or another or they wouldn't allow it on the market.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; January 23rd, 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    The fad with the e-cigs is unknown to me but I would have to think that there are risks associated with using those products as well.
    The "juice that e-cig tobacco users IS laden with chemicals and heavy metals, but a pocket vape hand-loaded with rarified hash (shatter, earwax, etc.) is relatively clean and safe.

Shatter, it doesn't get any cleaner than this --

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    he's bringing parpaluck.
    bruhahahahahahhaha

Ok ZG...lol....opiate like?? Hmmmmmmm

A ZG/CP sponsored Bash in Blackhawk. ZG in charge of info and instruction of proper use of Cannibis. CP on use of STing and BJ in general. I can give some insite into HCing, no pun intended. We can have ole Froggo show some machine tricks of which he is quite versed in now.
    Any of the former Bash attendees would be welcome in my book. Wonder what Katz could bring to the table? Maybe he has a down under accent that would keep us all amused? Or?

Mac
    Hey Mac, so you wanna be amused? Then hire a clown... Now you a rural dude; you ever seen Bigfoot in ur neck of the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I've seen many people who smoke cigarettes and mary jane have respiratory issues and be diagnosed with COPD. The pulmonary function tests only measured exhalation for 1 second, they should have done a complete pulmonary function test (PFT). Marijuana smokers can be stricken with COPD. In my opinion only measuring the volume for 1 second is not even near enough data to make a scientific conclusion.
    I agree. I knew many serious potheads years ago, most of which had breathing problems, hacking and rasping their way through. The worst were those that really filled up deep in their lungs with pot or hash smoke from the bong. The human lung was never designed for such regular abuse. Especially when it is mixed with tobacco that contains over 2000 toxic chemicals which when burned, produce a very toxic cloud for the gaspers to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I agree. I knew many serious potheads years ago, most of which had breathing problems, hacking and rasping their way through. The worst were those that really filled up deep in their lungs with pot or hash smoke from the bong. The human lung was never designed for such regular abuse. Especially when it is mixed with tobacco that contains over 2000 toxic chemicals which when burned, produce a very toxic cloud for the gaspers to deal with.
    Make tea from marijuana=nice mellow high
    Make tea from tobacco=trip to emergency room

+ Reply to Thread