+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

Default Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

People who are aware they are asleep when they are dreaming have better than average problem-solving abilities, new research has discovered.

Awake within a dream:
    Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

Experts say that those who experience ‘lucid dreaming’ -- a phenomenon where someone who is asleep can recognize that they are dreaming -- can solve problems in the waking world better than those who remain unaware of the dream until they wake up.

Experts from the University of Lincoln, UK, say that those who experience 'lucid dreaming' -- a phenomenon where someone who is asleep can recognise that they are dreaming -- can solve problems in the waking world better than those who remain unaware of the dream until they wake up.

The concept of lucid dreaming was explored in the 2010 film Inception, where the dreamers were able to spot incongruities within their dream. It is thought some people are able to do this because of a higher level of insight, meaning their brains detect they are in a dream because events would not make sense otherwise.

This cognitive ability translates to the waking world when it comes to finding the solution to a problem by spotting hidden connections or inconsistencies, researchers say. The research by Dr Patrick Bourke, Senior Lecturer at the Lincoln School of Psychology, is the first empirical study demonstrating the relationship between lucid dreaming and insight.

He said: "It is believed that for dreamers to become lucid while asleep, they must see past the overwhelming reality of their dream state, and recognise that they are dreaming.

"The same cognitive ability was found to be demonstrated while awake by a person's ability to think in a different way when it comes to solving problems."

The study examined 68 participants aged between 18 and 25 who had experienced different levels of lucid dreaming, from never to several times a month. They were asked to solve 30 problems designed to test insight. Each problem consisted of three words and a solution word.

Each of the three words could be combined with the solution word to create a new compound word. For example with the words 'sand', 'mile' and 'age', the linking word would be 'stone'.

Results showed that frequent lucid dreamers solved 25 per cent more of the insight problems than the non-lucid dreamers.

Dr Bourke was assisted with the study by student Hannah Shaw who has since graduated.
    The research, called "Spontaneous Lucid Dreaming and Waking Insight," was published in the American Psychological Association's journal, Dreaming.

Story Source:
    The above story is based on materials provided by University of Lincoln.

On thing people who advocate lsd and other substances for inducing dreams and dreamlike sensations is that it is only a dream. It is not a spiritual experience, although it may be likened to one, it is still just a dream. Real spirituality exist only in the real world, not the dream world, although real spiritual experience may resemble a dream. Beware of imitations! Demand the real thing. BTW, that's not lsd or other substances. Real spirituality exists in the heart, not the imagination.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    On thing people who advocate lsd and other substances for inducing dreams and dreamlike sensations is that it is only a dream. It is not a spiritual experience, although it may be likened to one, it is still just a dream. Real spirituality exist only in the real world, not the dream world, although real spiritual experience may resemble a dream. Beware of imitations! Demand the real thing. BTW, that's not lsd or other substances. Real spirituality exists in the heart, not the imagination.
    The article is about non-drug-aided LUCID dreaming, and how it enhances waking cognition.
    Have you ever had a lucid dream, Monsignor?
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    The article is about non-drug-aided LUCID dreaming, and how it enhances waking cognition.
    Have you ever had a lucid dream, Monsignor?
    I was off topic, but the thought crossed my mind and I wrote it I did not read the article. All my dreams are lucid, aren't all dreams lucid, even the ones you forget? What's the sense in dreaming if you're not going to be lucid?
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

I was off topic, but the thought crossed my mind and I wrote it I did not read the article. All my dreams are lucid, aren't all dreams lucid, even the ones you forget? What's the sense in dreaming if you're not going to be lucid?
    Lucid dreams are those in which you KNOW you are dreaming and can assert some degree of control, like purposely flying or walking through walls, etc.

From Wiki: Lucid Dreaming -

Paul Tholey, an oneirologist and Gestalt theorist laid the epistemological basis for the research of lucid dreams. His work laid the foreground for further researchers to categorize what a lucid dream is. Tholey defined seven different conditions of clarity that a dream must fulfill in order to be defined as a lucid dream:
    1. Awareness of the dream state (orientation);
    2. Awareness of the capacity to make decisions;
    3. Awareness of memory functions;
    4. Awareness of identity;
    5. Awareness of the dream environment;
    6. Awareness of the meaning of the dream;
    7. Awareness of concentration and focus (the subjective clarity of that state).
    For a dream to be lucid as defined by Tholey, it must fulfill all 7 factors together. Tholey replaces the word ‘Klarheit’ (clarity) with the word ‘awareness’, which is a well known and central term in Gestalt therapy theory and describes the subjective experience of the conscious dream state quite well (Lucid dreaming – dreams of clarity).
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Lucid dreams are those in which you KNOW you are dreaming and can assert some degree of control, like purposely flying or walking through walls, etc.

From Wiki: Lucid Dreaming -

Paul Tholey, an oneirologist and Gestalt theorist laid the epistemological basis for the research of lucid dreams. His work laid the foreground for further researchers to categorize what a lucid dream is. Tholey defined seven different conditions of clarity that a dream must fulfill in order to be defined as a lucid dream:
    1. Awareness of the dream state (orientation);
    2. Awareness of the capacity to make decisions;
    3. Awareness of memory functions;
    4. Awareness of identity;
    5. Awareness of the dream environment;
    6. Awareness of the meaning of the dream;
    7. Awareness of concentration and focus (the subjective clarity of that state).
    For a dream to be lucid as defined by Tholey, it must fulfill all 7 factors together. Tholey replaces the word ‘Klarheit’ (clarity) with the word ‘awareness’, which is a well known and central term in Gestalt therapy theory and describes the subjective experience of the conscious dream state quite well (Lucid dreaming – dreams of clarity).
    That is more refined than I had in mind, but I've had many of that type as well, although I doubt anyone necessarily knows the meaning of a dream, even though they may think they do. I've even had a dream that would not go away even after waking up and talking with someone. I had to take a shower to get rid of this particular nightmare in Colorado in 1963. The dream seemed more real than real life for about fifteen minutes after waking

At about the same time, I had another unusual experience. I was going to the doctor to be tested for what seemed like VD because it included painful urination. I remember taking a shortcut through a field when smack in the middle of the field with it's uncut grass and weeds I became paralyzed. I stopped dead in my tracks and could not take another step. What a predicament this is, I said to myself. What in the world is going on? After a few minutes standing helplessly in the field, life returned to my legs and I walked on to the doctor. The verdict was, no disease, but as I recall it was a simple urinary track infection

I am now wondering if this wasn't the same day that John Kennedy was assassinated, since on that day I was not in class as I normally was due to some appointment I had. I heard the news and repeated it to my classmates when I returned.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

That is more refined than I had in mind, but I've had many of that type as well, although I doubt anyone necessarily knows the meaning of a dream, even though they may think they do. I've even had a dream that would not go away even after waking up and talking with someone. I had to take a shower to get rid of this particular nightmare in Colorado in 1963. The dream seemed more real than real life for about fifteen minutes after waking

At about the same time, I had another unusual experience. I was going to the doctor to be tested for what seemed like VD because it included painful urination. I remember taking a shortcut through a field when smack in the middle of the field with it's uncut grass and weeds I became paralyzed. I stopped dead in my tracks and could not take another step. What a predicament this is, I said to myself. What in the world is going on? After a few minutes standing helplessly in the field, life returned to my legs and I walked on to the doctor. The verdict was, no disease, but as I recall it was a simple urinary track infection

I am now wondering if this wasn't the same day that John Kennedy was assassinated, since on that day I was not in class as I normally was due to some appointment I had. I heard the news and repeated it to my classmates when I returned.
    That is one pathetic alibi. I heard the FBI still has you on their list of suspects for involvement in the JFK assassination. The fact that you mentioned him is very suspicious. You can expect a visit soon from six dudes with a waterboard.

Default Surf's up!

Got my water-board and raring to go!

Name:  SCHULTZ_1965_Peanuts_August_2-620x517.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  77.0 KB
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

+ Reply to Thread