+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belief In Hell Directly Benefits The Elite ...

Default Belief In Hell Directly Benefits The Elite ...

I think this is how and why it started? A frightened citizen is a compliant citizen, and there’s not much more frightening than being ripped to pieces by demons in a fiery abyss.

How Belief In Hell Directly Benefits The Elite

If there’s ever been any doubt in your mind that organized religion benefits the ruling class then a recent paper
    published by PLOS ONE, an open-access, peer reviewed online publication, should quash it for good.

Psychologists Azim F. Shariff of the University of Oregon and Lara B. Aknin of Simon Fraser University, British Columbia
    conducted a study in which they asked asked over four hundred Americans to write about Heaven, Hell or what they did
    yesterday. The Americans who wrote about Hell were more likely to show emotional negativity compared to the other groups.

This was consistent across believers and non-believers. Just thinking about Hell makes people ill and out of sorts, and they
    don’t even have to think that it’s real. It’s worse for the true believers: Individual belief in what the researchers referred to
    as “supernatural malevolence” (Coming soon to pay-per-view!) was associated with bad coping skills, low self-esteem and
    poor health resiliency.

read more: http://disinfo.com/2014/02/belief-he...enefits-elite/
    Last edited by DDutton; February 15th, 2014 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    I think this is how and why it started? A frightened citizen is a compliant citizen, and there’s not much more frightening than being ripped to pieces by demons in a fiery abyss.
    You're assumption is of course that there is no such thing a hell or demons.

Strange the pre-Christian societies didn't need it-- they just said, if you get out of line, we'll bust your &!%#$*^ head in!
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Default Relogion

I have no doubt that organized religion and Goverment march hand in hand to control the population. That being said and in regards to hell or demons, I do believe there are things in this venue that we cannot explain and do not understand. I do believe in an "evil" entity and a "Great Spirit" of good and of light and of beauty, the "evil one" is the opposite,,as I said, I believe there are things we just do not understand.

It is because of these things that I will "never compromise with evil", or "dance with the devil", my belief. I believe that on several occasions I have felt the presence of the "Great Spirit",,and often been tempted by the evil one,,,but I can tell you that the "Great Spirit" I felt had nothing in common with organized religion. Love and Light, versus Dark and Hate, Morality versus Vulgarity,,,that pretty much sums it up. Beware. This is not to say that I am not a flawed person, for indeed I am.

CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    I have no doubt that organized religion and Goverment march hand in hand to control the population. That being said and in regards to hell or demons, I do believe there are things in this venue that we cannot explain and do not understand. I do believe in an "evil" entity and a "Great Spirit" of good and of light and of beauty, the "evil one" is the opposite,,as I said, I believe there are things we just do not understand.

It is because of these things that I will "never compromise with evil", or "dance with the devil", my belief. I believe that on several occasions I have felt the presence of the "Great Spirit",,and often been tempted by the evil one,,,but I can tell you that the "Great Spirit" I felt had nothing in common with organized religion. Love and Light, versus Dark and Hate, Morality versus Vulgarity,,,that pretty much sums it up. Beware. This is not to say that I am not a flawed person, for indeed I am.

CP
    And I, too, have felt the presence of the Great Spirit, and it was sometimes from within the hallowed halls of organized religion, and sometimes outside, that is, alone and by myself, which just goes to show that the Spirit is everywhere, and cannot be put in a box. And I, too, believe there is an evil entity. It is not the ying and yang of eastern religions, or good vs evil in some equal proportions, because the Great Spirit is so much greater, and so much more beautiful and full of light that the evil one pales by comparison, a mere shadow, nevertheless real, entity. And you, my friend, do not know the meaning of flawed, unless you are me, and that is one of those zengrifter things that I can't quite buy into, other than if I give a hungry man food, I give it to Jesus, and if I visit a sick and lonely person, I visit him as well. If we are all Jesus, in some way that I cannot fully understand, than I can in that sense agree with ZG, that I am HE, and WE are THEE, and all ARE ONE together. In any event, we are all God's children, even if we don't always act like it, and that makes us all brothers.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    If we are all Jesus, in some way that I cannot fully understand, than I can in that sense agree with ZG, that I am HE, and WE are THEE, and all ARE ONE
    DAallujehia, Aslan!
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    DAallujehia, Aslan!
    Name:  it-was-him2-smiley.gif
Views: 54
Size:  9.2 KB
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

... and if I visit a sick and lonely person, I visit him as well. If we are all Jesus, in some way that I cannot fully understand, than I can in that sense agree with ZG, that I am HE, and WE are THEE, and all ARE ONE together. In any event, we are all God's children, even if we don't always act like it, and that makes us all brothers.
    Jesus H Christ. I never thought I would live to see the day that Aslan became enlightened. Behold, he has arrived!
    And it came to pass that one day he realized WE ARE ALL ONE. Hallelujah Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Jesus H Christ. I never thought I would live to see the day that Aslan became enlightened. Behold, he has arrived!And it came to pass that one day he realized WE ARE ALL ONE. Hallelujah Amen
    No one at Zzone invokes Jesus more than you Kat. His manifest spirit prevails herein thanks largely to you.
    BTW, I see there is a unique branch of Christian faithful who embrace the ONE

---------
    Oneness Pentecostalism refers to a grouping of denominations and believers within Pentecostal Christianity, all of whom subscribe to the nontrinitarian theological doctrine of Oneness. This movement first emerged around 1914 as the result of doctrinal disputes within the nascent Pentecostal movement and claims an estimated 24 million adherents today. Oneness Pentecostalism derives its distinctive name from its teaching on the Godhead, which is popularly referred to as the Oneness Doctrine. This doctrine states that there is one God, a singular divine person, who manifests himself in many different ways, including as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This stands in sharp contrast to the doctrine of three distinct and eternal "persons" posited by Trinitarian theology. Oneness believers baptize in the name of Jesus Christ, commonly referred to as Jesus-name baptism, rather than using the Trinitarian formula.
    ---------

NEWSFLASH: Bishop T.D. Jakes says he has moved away from a "Oneness" view of the Godhead ...
    ... to embrace an orthodox definition of the Trinity – and that some in the Oneness Pentecostal movement now consider him a heretic.
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Back on topic, Hell, surprisingly ...

Early Judaism had no concept of Hell, though the concept of an afterlife was introduced during the Hellenic period, apparently from neighboring Hellenistic religions. It occurs for example in Book of Daniel. Daniel 12:2 proclaims "And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt." Judaism does not have a specific doctrine about the afterlife, but it does have a mystical/Orthodox tradition of describing Gehenna. Gehenna is not Hell, but originally a grave and in later times a sort of Purgatory where one is judged based on one's life's deeds, or rather, where one becomes fully aware of one's own shortcomings and negative actions during one's life. The Kabbalah explains it as a "waiting room" (commonly translated as an "entry way") for all souls (not just the wicked). The overwhelming majority of rabbinic thought maintains that people are not in Gehenna forever; the longest that one can be there is said to be 12 months. Some consider it a spiritual forge where the soul is purified for its eventual ascent to Olam Habah(heb. עולם הבא; lit. "The world to come", often viewed as analogous to Heaven). This is also mentioned in the Kabbalah, where the soul is described as breaking, like the flame of a candle lighting another: the part of the soul that ascends being pure and the "unfinished" piece being reborn.

Jesus H Christ. I never thought I would live to see the day that Aslan became enlightened. Behold, he has arrived!
    And it came to pass that one day he realized WE ARE ALL ONE. Hallelujah Amen
    Yes, all children of God. And whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers, you do unto me. We are all one in Christ.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Default Hell of a topic!

Back on topic, Hell, surprisingly ...
    Not quite. "The existence of hell is, of course, denied by all those who deny the existence of God or the immortality of the soul. Thus among the Jew[s] the Sadducees" did not believe in such a place. But Jesus and his Apostles talk about it as if it were a commonly held belief.
    The Latin infernus (inferum, inferi), the Greek Hades, and the Hebrew sheol correspond to the word hell. Infernus is derived from the root in; hence it designates hell as a place within and below the earth. Haides, formed from the root fid, to see, and a privative, denotes an invisible, hidden, and dark place; thus it is similar to the term hell. The derivation of sheol is doubtful. It is generally supposed to come from the Hebrew root meaning, "to be sunk in, to be hollow"; accordingly it denotes a cave or a place under the earth. In the Old Testament (Septuagint hades; Vulgate infernus) sheol is used quite in general to designate the kingdom of the dead, of the good (Genesis 37:35) as well as of the bad (Numbers 16:30); it means hell in the strict sense of the term, as well as the limbo of the Fathers. But, as the limbo of the Fathers ended at the time of Christ's Ascension, hades (Vulgate infernus) in the New Testament always designates the hell of the damned. Since Christ's Ascension the just no longer go down to the lower world, but they dwell in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:1). However, in the New Testament the term Gehenna is used more frequently in preference to hades, as a name for the place of punishment of the damned. Gehenna is the Hebrew gê-hinnom (Nehemiah 11:30), or the longer form gê-ben-hinnom (Joshua 15:8), and gê-benê-hinnom (2 Kings 23:10) "valley of the sons of Hinnom". Hinnom seems to be the name of a person not otherwise known. The Valley of Hinnom is south of Jerusalem and is now called Wadi er-rababi. It was notorious as the scene, in earlier days, of the horrible worship of Moloch. For this reason it was defiled by Josias (2 Kings 23:10), cursed by Jeremias (Jeremiah 7:31-33), and held in abomination by the Jews, who, accordingly, used the name of this valley to designate the abode of the damned (Targ. Jon., Gen., iii, 24; Henoch, c. xxvi). And Christ adopted this usage of the term. Besides Hades and Gehenna, we find in the New Testament many other names for the abode of the damned. It is called "lower hell" (Vulgate tartarus) (2 Peter 2:4), "abyss" (Luke 8:31 and elsewhere), "place of torments" (Luke 16:28), "pool of fire" (Revelation 19:20 and elsewhere), "furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:42, 50), "unquenchable fire" (Matthew 3:12, and elsewhere), "everlasting fire" (Matthew 18:8; 25:41; Jude 7), "exterior darkness" (Matthew 7:12; 22:13; 25:30), "mist" or "storm of darkness" (2 Peter 2:17; Jude 13). The state of the damned is called "destruction" (apoleia, Philippians 3:19 and elsewhere), "perdition" (olethros, 1 Timothy 6:9), "eternal destruction" (olethros aionios, 2 Thessalonians 1:9), "corruption" (phthora, Galatians 6:8), "death" (Romans 6:21), "second death" (Revelation 2:11 and elsewhere). http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Not quite. "The existence of hell is, of course, denied by all those who deny the existence of God or the immortality of the soul. Thus among the Jew[s] the Sadducees" did not believe in such a place. But Jesus and his Apostles talk about it as if it were a commonly held belief.
    The existence of hell is, of course, denied by the hundreds of millions of us who have no interest in any organized religion or their way-outdated dogma, and we are those who also deny the existence of the Christian, Hebrew or Muslim gods. These same millions of us probably do believe in a 'Divine' Source energy, as well as the immortality of the soul. This is because we know we are immortal, having been reincarnated on planet Earth and other worlds countless times already.
    Last edited by Katz; February 16th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.

The existence of hell is, of course, denied by the hundreds of millions of us who have no interest in any organized religion or their way-outdated dogma, and we are those who also deny the existence of the Christian, Hebrew or Muslim gods. These same millions of us probably do believe in a 'Divine' Source energy, as well as the immortality of the soul. This is because we know we are immortal, having been reincarnated on planet Earth and other worlds countless times already.
    Key to deciphering the code used by Katz in his writing:

Hell = we don't want to recognize the possibility that our actions might carry with them eternal consequences. We like out own construct for wusses of what life is all about because it allows us to get away with virtually anything while we masquerade as desiring only what is pure and holy for our lives.

Out-dated dogma
    = we don't have to recognize those inconvenient immutable truths revealed by God

Divine source energy = we don't have to recognize an intelligent God who holds us responsible for leading moral lives according to those immutable truths he has revealed to us. And we don't have to recognize that ultimate sacrifice by the Deity on behalf of us who are mired in sin and unworthy to join him in his kingdom as we were intended to from the beginning.

Immortal = This at least we will admit to without any proof of science to back it up, just don't hold us accountable, and please don't require any penances or other medieval practices of us since we are already pretty near perfect and deserving of eternal bliss just as we are.

Reincarnated - Even though there not one shred of scientific evidence, this is a feel good belief that in one fell swoop exonerates us from all wrongdoing and puts us on a sure path to Nirvana without the need for the least bit of effort on our parts except that which we pretend for appearances sake and makes a mockery of the reality that we are born once and will be judged according to our one life. Naturally, after we blow up this planet, the "divine energy" will somehow inexplicably find us a new planet to inhabit that we will eventually blow to smithereens, as well.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Just to be clear, IMO Kat is not a godless atheist per'se.
    Kat you could clarify, but just keep the Jeebs stuff out. Give us the essence of your spiritual belief-faith.

Just to be clear, IMO Kat is not a godless atheist per'se.
    Kat you could clarify, but just keep the Jeebs stuff out. Give us the essence of your spiritual belief-faith.
    He obviously is a man of faith, faith in divine energy, reincarnation, and karma, all spiritual terms. I have read some of his writings of Abraham (not the Biblical one). Too bad he was not raised in the Catholic Faith, but instead in the Protestant Presbyterian denomination, which I believe, at one time anyway, had no great love for Catholicism. I think that's where he gets a lot of his anti-Catholic thinking, but then, of course, he turned on them as well. I can see the search for greater simplicity that both you and he alike share, but I think it comes at the expense of truth. Contemplation of God and his creation is good, but thank God as a Christian, I begin my contemplation with God's revealed truth. It's easier to travel the road in the pitch dark of night when you have road markers along the way.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

+ Reply to Thread