+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if god really happened to be one of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    There you have it. Their fucking Samson Option...

Attachment 27279Attachment 27280
    Oh, I didn't realize they had elected this guy Crevald to the head of Israel. Your lips are flapping, but all I hear is, "I hate Jews" coming out of your mouth. Put a sock in it.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    What if G-D was all of us?
    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    What if He wasn't? You're wasting away your life on this fanciful thinking.
    Hardly.
    This is the core of the perennial philosophy and the secret of secrets.

Suggest that you finally read THE BOOK -
    http://www.zenzoneforum.com/threads/2401-The-Book!
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Deepak agrees with ZG --

Chopra speaks and writes regularly about metaphysics, the study of consciousness and Vedanta philosophy. He is a philosophical idealist, arguing for the primacy of consciousness over matter and for purpose and intelligence in nature – that mind, or "dynamically active consciousness", is a fundamental feature of the universe.

In this view, consciousness is both subject and object. It is consciousness, he writes, that creates reality; we are not "physical machines that have somehow learned to think...[but] thoughts that have learned to create a physical machine". He argues that the evolution of species is the evolution of consciousness seeking to express itself as multiple observers; the universe experiences itself through our brains: "We are the eyes of the universe looking at itself".

In his book Quantum Healing, Chopra stated the conclusion that quantum entanglement links everything in the Universe, and therefore it must create consciousness.

Chopra has likened the universe to a "reality sandwich" which has three layers: the "material" world, a "quantum" zone of matter and energy, and a "virtual" zone outside of time and space, which is the domain of God, and from which God can direct the other layers. Chopra has written that human beings' brains are "hardwired to know God" and that the functions of the human nervous system mirror divine experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    Deepak agrees with ZG --

Chopra speaks and writes regularly about metaphysics, the study of consciousness and Vedanta philosophy. He is a philosophical idealist, arguing for the primacy of consciousness over matter and for purpose and intelligence in nature – that mind, or "dynamically active consciousness", is a fundamental feature of the universe.

In this view, consciousness is both subject and object. It is consciousness, he writes, that creates reality; we are not "physical machines that have somehow learned to think...[but] thoughts that have learned to create a physical machine". He argues that the evolution of species is the evolution of consciousness seeking to express itself as multiple observers; the universe experiences itself through our brains: "We are the eyes of the universe looking at itself".

In his book Quantum Healing, Chopra stated the conclusion that quantum entanglement links everything in the Universe, and therefore it must create consciousness.

Chopra has likened the universe to a "reality sandwich" which has three layers: the "material" world, a "quantum" zone of matter and energy, and a "virtual" zone outside of time and space, which is the domain of God, and from which God can direct the other layers. Chopra has written that human beings' brains are "hardwired to know God" and that the functions of the human nervous system mirror divine experience.
    Here they come. God is invading America... ILLEGALS HIT THE JACKPOT!

Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    Deepak agrees with ZG --

Chopra and ZG, kindred spirits --

Several scientists have criticized Chopra's mix of spirituality and science. According to Ptolemy Tompkins, the medical and scientific communities' opinion of him ranges from dismissive to damning; criticism includes claims that his approach could lure sick people away from effective treatments.

In 2013 Chopra argued that militant skeptics were editing Wikipedia to prevent what he believes would be a fair representation of the views of such figures as Rupert Sheldrake.
    * Biologist Jerry Coyne responded that Chopra's "own lucrative brand of woo is finally exposed as a lot of scientifically-sounding psychobabble" on Wikipedia.

Hardly.

It's pantheisim, 101. I don't agree with Watts.
    Most of us have the sensation that "I myself" is a separate center of feeling and action, living inside and bounded by the physical body—a center which "confronts" an"external" world of people and things, making contact through the senses with a universe both alien and strange. Everyday figures of speech reflect this illusion. "I came into this world." "You must face reality." "The conquest of nature." This feeling of being lonely and very temporary visitors in the universe is in flat contradiction to everything known about man (and all other living organisms) in the sciences. We do not "come into" this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean "waves," the universe "peoples." Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe. This fact is rarely, if ever, experienced by most individuals. Even those who know it to be true in theory do not sense or feel it, but continue to be aware of themselves as isolated "egos" inside bags of skin.
    So close, but no cigar. At first, man (Adam) was in communion with God, not God but in perfect communion. But even at that, man knew he was not God, separate but not apart, different but in total friendship, living in an envelope of love, loved and loving back, a perfect unity. Man was not alone, but his union was with that which was greater than himself, not a union of equals. God then created woman, a creature like man, yet different, so that man could find union with his equal (hence the symbolism of woman taken from his breast, his heart region, his essence, his equal) and thereby have union not only with himself but with his equal, and the two of them in union, being also in union with God. Unity is the first principle, and unity is love. This would also be the means for the creation of the human race, a product of Adam and Eve's love for each other, and a product of their love for God, as they carried out his first commandment to increase and multiply and fill the earth.

But man disobeyed God, leading some to believe that the first act of disobedience was of a sexual nature (who knows?) and suddenly man was estranged from God and felt alone, really alone, for his union with God was broken. And so, they were banished through their act of disobedience from that perfect union and the entire universe was knocked out of kilter. Creation (the created universe) now yearns for that union with God it once experienced, which indeed shows how close the author is to understanding how integrally associated with the rest of the universe we are. Now we are acutely aware of our otherness, acutely aware of our separateness, both from God and from each other.

It is not that we misjudge ourselves to be egos surrounded by bags of skin, but that we realize deep within our core that we are meant for something more grand than the condition we now find ourselves in. It was for this reason that God (for all infinity, mind you) planned to bring us,free agents that he created us to be, back into union with him. It was for this reason that God chose a man, Abraham, to begin this journey back to our lost union with God. Throughout the written words of Scripture, which began around the time of Moses, and likely written by Moses himself at the start, we find these references to a Messiah that would be sent to restore Israel, the offspring of Abraham, which was constantly finding itself in exile. First the Egyptians, then division among themselves, then the Babylonians, then the Romans. The Jews, as were the legitimate descendants of Abraham called, easily mistook the messages from their prophets to mean that a Messiah would come to restore Israel to its glory days. But the messages also said that Israel would be a blessing to the Gentiles, which must have been a puzzlement to them. Why did God give them a law to live by? The law was given to demonstrate that humanity cannot restore itself of its own power. Over and over again Israel departed form the law and over and over again it fell. The fate of the "Chosen" people is a memorial of the impossibility of man being capable of living according to God's will. The Jews understood that they kept falling from grace with God because of their "sin," but they kept on believing that all they had to do was turn to God and he would restore them. They did not realize that they needed restoration at a deeper level than their earthly kingdom. And so it went, the Jewish people and their endless quest for keeping God's commandments... in their own power.

It was not until Jesus arrived on the scene that the idea of Messiah was challenged. It was Jesus who began unlocking the hidden message of the Scriptures. Even his own closest disciples thought he was going to become King Jesus and banish the Romans from their homeland and restore them to a kingdom unparalleled by any before or after. This tiny nation on insignificant people held onto their faith that their God could lift them up to the heights above all nations of the world, and they stuck to this seemingly insane belief. But Jesus, being the fulfillment of the Messiah prophecy, being the Son of God Incarnate, came to lift the veil from their eyes, to show them the way back to the long forgotten communion with God that the human race once had enjoyed in its first parents. The kingdom he was restoring was the lost kingdom of Eden, the Paradise of man's beginning. He had come to restore mankind, not just Jews, to the friendship and communion with God for which their souls ached, and which was the cause of their constant hunger for something more, their constant awareness that something was not right, their constant yearning for peace and harmony, their quest, if they did not realize it in so many words, to know, love and serve God.

What many Christians do not realize is just how intimate God wants to become with man. The term Messiah, The Anointed One, can also mean simply King. Kings were anointed. The Messiah was seen as the coming King to lead his people to victory. In the thinking of the Jews, within the King were included all his people. If the King was victorious, so then were all the people. The King was synonymous with his people in their way of thinking. This is the thinking that is behind Christian baptism. As I said before, the Messiah was supposed to restore Israel, and also to be a blessing to the other nations of the world; in fact, the Messiah was to restore the world through the instrumentality of Abraham, through his offspring, Israel. Jesus was the Messiah, and therefore, Jesus was the long awaited King. Jesus invited all people to be in his kingdom and he did this through a sacrament he established called Baptism. When a person agrees to be baptized, they are agreeing to come under the kingship of Jesus. Many of the Jews rejected the new King and his new Kingdom, and so did many Gentiles, but whoever was baptized became by virtue of that act member of the Kingdom of Jesus, the Kingdom of God. Since the King is synonymous with his people we can begin to see what is meant by the Mystical Body of Christ. The King and his people in the Jewish way of thinking are one. This is why a baptized Catholic even if he later rejects Christ entirely. Once a Christian, always a Christian. It's just like, once an American by birth, alway an American. You can burn the flag and spit on the Declaration of Independence, but you will still always be an American.

The purpose of this Kingdom of God, of Jesus Christ, was and is to bring about the restoration of man to God's friendship. Because of the unconditional love of God shown by his death on the Cross on behalf of all mankind, the gates of Paradise are reopened. Man can now attain to perfect union with the God to which they have been estranged from. They can become holy, find the wholeness they have been missing, find the true communion with God they once had in the beginning. The story of mankind is the story of a journey, a journey away from God and back to God. It is the story of God's love for mankind that caused him (nothing really causes Him to do anything) humble himself, take on human form, and die on a Cross, to make peace between God an man, to make the perfect sacrifice of restoration.

How do we regain our former state of perfect happiness? Jesus showed us that it is the way of love. Love God. Love neighbor. Love even our enemy. He established his Church on earth to give us the means to achieve this love. He gave us a means to be sure of our forgiveness for sins we commit. He gave us a sacrament for the nourishment of our souls. The sacrament is the Holy Eucharist by which Catholics are nourished by the resurrected, glorified body and blood of Jesus Christ, and in some miraculous manner, transformed into the image of Jesus, of whose Mystical Body they are already a part by baptism.

It is true that many Catholics do not understand what the Church is all about. It is true that many just go through the motions and never achieve even the slightest degree of holiness. It is true that many Catholics place magical and superstitious value on the sacraments of the Church. It is true that many Catholics might as well be atheists for all the good it does them to outwardly profess to be Christians because in there hearts they have no intention of obeying Jesus' commandment to love one another. In fact, a well intentioned atheist is in better standing than a lying, hypocritical Christian. To whom much is given, much is expected.

One day I hope to die and return to that former state of bliss. Beyond that, I look forward to the resurrection of the dead, when at some future time, all mankind will receive back their bodies in a glorified state, and those who passed the test, will inherit the new heavens and new earth created for them as God has promised. There will be no more death, no more pain for those who die in God's grace. There will be the eternal bliss of being face to face with God. What will man do? What will be his purpose? Those questions are beyond me. We will have our bodies back. After all, a human being is not complete without his body. If God had wanted us to be angels, he would not have created us with bodies. We are not meant to become disembodied spirits, but full and complete men and women, fully human, but in a glorified sense. Remember how Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection behind locked doors? This is a clue to us that our glorified bodies, made incorruptible, will be in a sense spiritual, yet not completely so, as Jesus is also mentioned as being physical (touch the holes in my hands) and eating fish with his disciples on the seashore. Whatever the new world brings, it will be without strife, without the shortcomings of the present world, without the prospects of anything going awry ever again. It will be eternal bliss, as was it meant to be from the beginning, as many of the Eastern religions catch a glimpse of in their attempts to discover what it's all about.

So, in response to your kind invitation to study what you have studied and to become better informed as to who we are and what our purpose is, to what the meaning of life is, I do not have any leanings in that direction to do so, as I feel at peace with what I have, and feel no yearning for anything more than I already possess. I have peace, even amidst the turmoil of this world. I will one thing. I will to be with God-- to know, love and serve him in this world, and to be happy with him in the next. That is the first truth taught in the Catholic Catechism, the old one, called the Baltimore Catechism, and it satisfies me completely. I speak not out of a head in the sand conformity to something taught me as a child, but as the product of a long journey of searching for the meaning of life that led me back coincidentally to my roots as a cradle Catholic. I have traveled the world, from atheism back to monotheism, and have found a home that satisfies my soul. As St. Augustine wrote, "My heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee."

Aslan
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread