+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Reason Why The Bible Lacks Credibility IMO

Default 50 Reason Why The Bible Lacks Credibility IMO

#1 of 50 The Bible has been the reference book for all kinds of insanity and atrocities down through the ages.

These quotes below concern that 700-year dark period of human existence called the Inquisition. Up until the Reformation there was only one church: the RCC; and it exercised absolute power. The Bible was its reference book. The Bible has proved a terrible reference book and should never be taken seriously; and should never be read by young impressionable minds. Inquisition and Catholic quotes from people of note:

"In all the disputes which have excited Christians against each other, Rome has invariably decided in favor of that opinion which tended most towards the suppression of the human intellect and the annihilation of the reasoning powers." Voltaire

"The period of Catholic ascendancy was on the whole one of the most deplorable in the history of the human mind. . . . The spirit that shrinks from enquiry as sinful and deems a state of doubt a state of guilt, is the most enduring disease that can afflict the mind of man. Not till the education of Europe passed from the monasteries to the universities, not till Mohammedan science, and classical free thought, and industrial independence broke the scepter of the Church, did the intellectual revival of Europe begin." William E. H. Lecky

"The Papacy was corrupt for whole centuries: especially from about 880 to 1050 and (with a short decent pontificate at rare intervals) 1290 to about 1660. No 'primacy' in any other organized religion has so disgraceful a record." Joseph McCabe

"It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas)." Sam Harris "

J. M. Robertson has estimated that from the first crusade launched by Pope Urban II in 1095 to the fall of Acre . . . in 1291, nine million lives were lost. This may be an overestimation, but the number is certainly in the millions and represents only the beginning of the carnage which places the Catholic Church in the same league with the Third Reich and the purges of Stalin or Mao. Before the crusades against the 'heathens' were concluded, the popes began an internal crusade against heretics within Christendom. The resulting Inquisition lasted officially almost 600 years and resulted in the loss of additional millions of lives." Joseph Daleiden

"The principle of the Inquisition was murderous. . . . The popes were not only murderers in the great style, but they also made murder a legal basis of the Christian Church and a condition of salvation." Lord Acton

"By far the cruelest aspect of the inquisitional system was the means by which confessions were wrought: the torture chamber. Torture remained a legal option for the Church from 1252 when it was sanctioned by Pope Innocent IV until 1917 when the new Codex Juris Canonici was put into effect. . . . Thus, with license granted by the Pope himself, inquisitors were free to explore the depths of horror and cruelty. . . . The Inquisition invented every conceivable device to inflict pain by slowly dismembering and dislocating the body. Many of these devices were inscribed with the motto 'Glory be only to God.'" Helen Ellerbe

"The perpetrators of the Inquisition - the torturers, informers, and those who commanded their actions - were ecclesiastics of one rank or another. They were men of God - popes, bishops, friars, and priests." Sam Harris

"She [the Catholic Church] worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One doesn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. Who discovered that there was no such thing as a witch - the priest, the parson? No, these never discover anything. . . ." Mark Twain

"I read in the newspaper that the Catholic Church finally decided that it had been theologically improper to try to convert the Jews. Whoops! Sorry for all those inquisitions, crusades, and autos-da-fe. Previous popes were wrong - infallible, perhaps, but wrong." Alan Dershowitz

"[T]he Spanish Conquistadors of the early 16th century . . . , accompanied by the ever present ambitious priests and professing the utmost devotion to the Catholic faith, managed to destroy within a few decades the Aztec and Inca nations and [cause] the death of over 100 million of their people in the process." Arthur Blech

"In medieval times, the Church used to sell 'indulgences' for money. This amounted to paying for some number of days' remission from purgatory, and the Church literally (and with breathtaking presumption) issued signed certificates specifying the number of days off that had been purchased. . . . And of all its money-making rip-offs, the selling of indulgences must surely rank among the greatest con tricks in history. . . ." Richard Dawkins

"Up until 1878 young boys in the Sistine Choir with the most pleasing high voices were castrated so their voices wouldn't change. Were these young boys given a right to life?" W. F. Dean

"Benito Mussolini had barely seized power in Italy before the Vatican made an official treaty with him. . . . Catholicism became the only recognized religion in Italy . . . and in return urged its followers to vote for Mussolini's party. Pope Pius XI described [Mussolini] as 'a man sent by providence.' . . . Across southern Europe, the church was a reliable ally in the instatement of fascist regimes. . . ." Christopher Hitchens

"The consequences of the popes' ill-conceived dictates [about contraception] are as catastrophic as the persecution of heretics in bygone years. The result will be, in effect, to sentence millions to face starvation and hundreds of millions more to a marginal, subhuman existence."
    Joseph Daleiden

"Ironically, the pope's opposition to contraceptives results in hundreds of thousands of abortions, most in illegal and unsafe conditions that threaten women's lives. Due primarily to the lack of readily available contraception, 55 million abortions are performed in the world annually. Worldwide, 182,000 women die each year from dangerous abortions. In the United States, where . . . women's right to abortion has been recognized since 1973 (over the Church's strenuous opposition), the death rate for women who obtain abortions has dropped almost 90%. So by opposing contraceptives and legalized abortion, the pope is in effect sentencing many women to die." Joseph Daleiden

"That church teaches us that we can make God happy by being miserable ourselves; that a nun is holier in the sight of God than a loving mother with her child in her thrilled and thrilling arms; that a priest is better than a father; that celibacy is better than that passion of love that has made everything of beauty in this world. That church tells the girl of sixteen or eighteen years of age, with eyes like dew and light; that girl with the red of health in the white of her beautiful cheeks - tells that girl, 'Put on the veil, woven of death and night, kneel upon stones, and you will please God.' I tell you that, by law, no girl should be allowed to take the veil and renounce the joys and beauties of this life." Robert Ingersoll

"Catholicism is contrary to human liberty. Catholicism bases salvation upon belief. Catholicism teaches man to trample his reason under foot. And for that reason it is wrong." Robert Ingersoll

The Pope "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Oz

Last edited by Katweezel; April 21st, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Salute to those who speak the truth
    Dogma schmogma

During the 1880s, Dr. H. Grattan Guinness preached the following:

"I see the great Apostasy, I see the desolation of Christendom, I see the smoking ruins, I see the reign of monsters; I see those vice-gods, that Gregory VII, that Innocent III, that Boniface Vlll, that Alexander Vl, that Gregory XIII, that Pius IX; I see their long succession, I hear their insufferable blasphemies, I see their abominable lives; I see them worshipped by blinded generations, bestowing hollow benedictions, bartering away worthless promises of heaven; I see their liveried slaves, their shaven priests, their celibate confessors; I see the infamous confessional, the ruined women, the murdered innocents; I hear the lying absolutions, the dying groans; I hear the cries of the victims; I hear the anathemas, the curses, the thunders of the interdicts; I see the racks, the dungeons, the stakes; I see that inhuman Inquisition, those fires of Smithfield, those butcheries of St. Bartholomew, that Spanish Armada, those unspeakable dragonnades, that endless train of wars, that dreadful multitude of massacres. I see it all, and in the name of the ruin it has brought in the Church and in the world, in the name of the truth it has denied, the temple it has defiled, the God it has blasphemed, the souls it has destroyed; in the name of the millions it has deluded, the millions it has slaughtered, the millions it has damned; with holy confessors, with noble reformers, with innumerable martyrs, with the saints of ages, I denounce it as the masterpiece of Satan, as the body and soul and essence of antichrist."

Name:  aa death.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  46.0 KB

Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    #1 of 50 The Bible has been the reference book for all kinds of insanity and atrocities down through the ages.

These quotes below concern that 700-year dark period of human existence called the Inquisition. Up until ...........
    Wow! To think your ancestors did all that!

BTW, you forgot to mention the Protestant Inquisition.

What I want to know, "Is locking the door to your house the cause of criminals breaking and entering?"

A lot of people have done a lot of bad things in the name of religion. No dispute there. But how does the teaching of Jesus cause problems?

How does the Church teaching that contraception is wrong "cause" abortion or starvation. There is plenty of food to go around in the world, and many generous nations contributing food, funds and medicines. It seems to me that starvation is caused by greedy people/rulers who intercept foods and funds intended for needy populations.

It seems to me that no one who has an "unwanted" pregnancy is thereby "required" to abort that unborn child. It seems to me that people are clamoring to adopt children every day, yet millions are killed in the womb.

It seems to me, also, that if children are unwanted, it is better that sexual relations be avoided. Better that a man masturbate than an unborn child be aborted. Better yet that a man exercise self control over his bodily functions than be a slave to sexual pleasure.

In the US a woman has a legal right to have an abortion, but no one has a moral right to take human life. The legal right to abortion is a bad law. It is legalizing the murder of unborn children. Look for me each year on Capitol Hill marching for the repeal of Roe vs. Wade.

I don't know what church teaches that that the priesthood is better than the married life. The Catholic Church teaches that each person has his own calling, some to married life, some to priesthood, some to single life. All are equal, but different roles. The Church teaches that some are called to priesthood and it encourages those persons to respond. However, it does not want every person to aspire to priesthood, because not everyone is called to that role in life. There is nothing worse than a bad priest. For example, even with all the testing and screening that is currently in place to prevent pedophiles from joining the priesthood, some still manage to sneak in.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

#2 of 50... Why should any book that condones slavery be taken seriously?

Wiki has 750,000 dead soldiers, casualties in the American Civil War (1861-1865). Slavery was one of the chief issues. Twenty million African blacks were sold into slavery by their white, European, Christian (and Muslim) masters. The Christians saw nothing immoral as God condones slavery (as does Jesus) in several Holy Bible texts. Condoning slavery makes it the Unholy Bible.

Slavery in the Bible
    Except for murder, slavery has got to be one of the most immoral things a person can do. Yet slavery is rampant throughout the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments. The Bible clearly approves of slavery in many passages, and it goes so far as to tell how to obtain slaves, how hard you can beat them, and when you can have sex with the female slaves.

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word "servant", "bondservant", or "manservant" instead of "slave" to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn't mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

The following passage describes how the Hebrew slaves are to be treated.

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Notice how they can get a male Hebrew slave to become a permanent slave by keeping his wife and children hostage until he says he wants to become a permanent slave. What kind of family values are these?

The following passage describes the sickening practice of sex slavery. How can anyone think it is moral to sell your own daughter as a sex slave?

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

So these are the Bible family values! A man can buy as many sex slaves as he wants as long as he feeds them, clothes them, and screws them!

What does the Bible say about beating slaves? It says you can beat both male and female slaves with a rod so hard that as long as they don't die right away you are cleared of any wrong doing.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery, but slavery is still approved of in the New Testament, as the following passages show.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Dogma schmogma

#

Wiki has 750,000 dead soldiers, casualties in the American Civil War (1861-1865). Slavery was one of the chief issues. Twenty million African blacks were sold into slavery by their white, European, Christian (and Muslim) masters.

Get your US history right. The Civil War was entirely economic and fought over state's rights. The North was trying to develop industry but couldn't compete with british industry who could export US raw materials make goods in Britain and ship them back to US and sell them cheaper than Northern industry could. The Federal Government passed laws designed to hurt British imports while favoring Northern industry so they could compete. The regulations hurt the South which produced the raw material for both industrial groups. Slavery was thrown in more than halfway through the war and would not have been a part of it if the North could figure another way for them to gain more military advantage at the time. Only slaves in Confederate states were freed. It had nothing to do with being against slavery as this last sentence indicates. It was about weakening the Confederacy. Historians have recently successfully rewritten history to reflect a more noble cause for the Civil War.

The blacks taken from Africa as slaves were more often than not sold into slavery to the Slave Traders (mostly European) by rival tribes of Africans. Slavery has existed for longer than the written word has existed. Many would argue it still exists in every country in one form or another today. I know I feel my government is selling me and the next several generations into slavery by their spending trillions they don't have every year. Most of our income is already payed in taxes of one form or another with little left for the wage earner. It gets worse every year.

Truth is that many African blacks were sold into slavery by other African blacks. The vast majority of African slaves were shipped to South America, not the US. The Bible recognized the reality of slavery as part of the system in then place. One of the major themes of the Old Testament was God's liberation of the Jewish nation from slavery in Egypt. The New Testament declares that there is neither slave nor free man, but all are one in Christ Jesus.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Get your US history right. The Civil War was entirely economic and fought over state's rights. The North was trying to develop industry but couldn't compete with british industry who could export US raw materials make goods in Britain and ship them back to US and sell them cheaper than Northern industry could. The Federal Government passed laws designed to hurt British imports while favoring Northern industry so they could compete. The regulations hurt the South which produced the raw material for both industrial groups. Slavery was thrown in more than halfway through the war and would not have been a part of it if the North could figure another way for them to gain more military advantage at the time. Only slaves in Confederate states were freed. It had nothing to do with being against slavery as this last sentence indicates. It was about weakening the Confederacy. Historians have recently successfully rewritten history to reflect a more noble cause for the Civil War.

The blacks taken from Africa as slaves were more often than not sold into slavery to the Slave Traders (mostly European) by rival tribes of Africans. Slavery has existed for longer than the written word has existed. Many would argue it still exists in every country in one form or another today. I know I feel my government is selling me and the next several generations into slavery by their spending trillions they don't have every year. Most of our income is already payed in taxes of one form or another with little left for the wage earner. It gets worse every year.
    Right, thanks for the lesson in Civil War history. As for the issue of slavery being condoned in several Bible texts, I take it (inference by omission) that you, too, are indeed disgusted and seriously disappointed that "God" should include such abominations in his "Holy Book". And I'm only up to #2...
    Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Truth is that many African blacks were sold into slavery by other African blacks. The vast majority of African slaves were shipped to South America, not the US. The Bible recognized the reality of slavery as part of the system in then place. One of the major themes of the Old Testament was God's liberation of the Jewish nation from slavery in Egypt. The New Testament declares that there is neither slave nor free man, but all are one in Christ Jesus.
    The Portuguese head the import of slaves list (4M) with other Euros prominent and the US well down the list on a mere 500K. Your (Bible texts) argument looks like an attempt to somewhat justify those abominable Bible texts that clearly condone slavery; but it falls well short of convincing. Having known you cyberally now, for nigh on what seems like decades, I'm confident that those questionable Bible texts that I find extremely offensive also, deep down, offend the humanist in you also.
    Last edited by Katweezel; April 22nd, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Dogma schmogma

Slavery was a world wide thing in Biblical times. Most of the passages I can think of have to do with the proper treatment of slaves but I know there are a few that one could use like the punishments for mistreating slaves that today seem wacky. I usually try to focus on the symbolic. It is in many, many layers for various stages of development. I am at symbolic layer and see that there is a code that can be cracked by computer at a higher layer but we really haven't gotten to where the computer encoding in the hebrew is useful yet. It was noticed well before computers existed but since computers can decode so much faster we can see it everywhere in the text.

The Portuguese head the import of slaves list (4M) with other Euros prominent and the US well down the list on a mere 500K. Your (Bible texts) argument looks like an attempt to somewhat justify those abominable Bible texts that clearly condone slavery; but it falls well short of convincing. Having known you cyberally now, for nigh on what seems like decades, I'm confident that those questionable Bible texts that I find extremely offensive also, deep down, offend the humanist in you also.
    I definitely disagree that the Bible condones slavery. Anything but. It does, however, show an evolution of thinking from early Biblical times to the time of Jesus and subsequently, where the equality of the sexes and various stations in life are celebrated. When you read the Bible you must be attuned to the spiritual truth that is being put forth, not the customs and mores of the day. But I know you must be adept enough to realize that. God inspires human beings to express His truths, but they express those truths through things they are familiar with. Surely you are not one of those who believes that God "dictated" the words in the Bible. No, he inspired men to set forth His truths in its texts.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Right, thanks for the lesson in Civil War history. As for the issue of slavery being condoned in several Bible texts, I take it (inference by omission) that you, too, are indeed disgusted and seriously disappointed that "God" should include such abominations in his "Holy Book". And I'm only up to #2...
    Biblical texts are inspired by God, not dictated. The mention of things like slavery does not in any way imply that God condones it. It's strange that people who believe the Bible is divinely inspired do not believe that God condones slavery, yet you, who does not believe in the Bible, thinks that it does. It really makes it a moot point, since believers are reading it entirely different than you are.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Biblical texts are inspired by God, not dictated. The mention of things like slavery does not in any way imply that God condones it. It's strange that people who believe the Bible is divinely inspired do not believe that God condones slavery, yet you, who does not believe in the Bible, thinks that it does. It really makes it a moot point, since believers are reading it entirely different than you are.
    God nor anyone else speaks out against slavery. Even in the Ten Commandments, slavery is conspicuous by its absence. (Neither is cruelty nor torture mentioned. Instead, God talks about the evil of coveting your neighbour's wife and donkey, which was obviously far worse a sin.) One can easily be led by these glaring omissions into believing that God must find them OK because He said nothing against them.

Biblical Verses Condoning and Regulating Slavery

The fact that slavery exists in the Bible is no secret. There are laws regulating its practice; how to buy and sell slaves, what to do if they commit a crime, the degree to which they can be beat, and laws concerning sexual activity with female slaves. Some of these verses are included here. The point here is not to comment on the existence of slavery or the Bible's laws regarding it.

My intention is more to increase awareness of its presence in Biblical text. A slave in the Bible (or in Greek, Roman, Islamic, or Egyptian history for that matter) is not the same as a slave in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. This new form of plantation slavery was unique in history in that it was based solely on race.
    Regarding the emancipation of slaves, Jewish slaves were to be freed after six years, except those who were born by the female slave. Female slaves, sold into slavery by their fathers, would be slaves forever. And the cost of freeing a slave was calculated using the number of years to the next Jubilee Year, ranging between 1 and 50 years.
    Exodus 21:1-4 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

Deuteronomy 15:12-18 "And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee.And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the Lord thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."

Exodus 21:7 "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

Regarding the beating and killing of slaves, the Book of Exodus contains laws regarding punishment for the one who kills the slave as well as injunctions to avoid injuring the eyes and teeth.
    Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money."
    Exodus 21:26-27 "And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake. And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake."

The Book of Leviticus prohibited the harsh ruling over other Israelites, but that slaves could be taken from the Gentiles.
    Leviticus 25:44-46 "Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."

Also, in Leviticus, a distinction is made between the hired servant and the slave.
    Leviticus 25:48-53 "After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him: Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself. And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubilee: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him."

Slaves were to undergo circumcision.
    Genesis 17:13 "He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant."
    Genesis 17:27 "And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him."
    Female captives are considered spoils of war.
    Deuteronomy 21:10-14 "When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her."

Deuteronomy 20:14 "But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself"
    The punishment for sexual activity with a female slave who is engaged consisted of animal sacrifice in the Temple. There is no comment on sexual activity with one who is not married or engaged.
    Leviticus 19:20-22 "And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to an husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall not be put to death, because she was not free. And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the Lord, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, even a ram for a trespass offering. And the priest shall make an atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering before the Lord for his sin which he hath done: and the sin which he hath done shall be forgiven him."

It is not permitted to return an escaped slave, nor was it permissable to "oppress" him.
    Deuteronomy 23:15-16 "Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

The Book of Numbers makes references to thousands of female captives who were to be given to the priests.
    Numbers 31:28-47 "And levy a tribute unto the Lord of the men of war which went out to battle: one soul of five hundred, both of the persons, and of the beeves, and of the asses, and of the sheep: Take it of their half, and give it unto Eleazar the priest, for an heave offering of the Lord. And of the children of Israel's half, thou shalt take one portion of fifty, of the persons, of the beeves, of the asses, and of the flocks, of all manner of beasts, and give them unto the Levites, which keep the charge of the tabernacle of the Lord."

Mark 14:66 "And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest."

There were restrictions on reselling slaves. Apparently a Hebrew slave could not be resold.
    Exodus 21:8 "If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her. And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."

If one were to purchase his own brother into slavery, laws in Leviticus prevent treating him as other slaves, but rather as a guest or servant. The Living Bible refers to "a fellow Israelite" rather than "brother."
    Leviticus 25:39 "And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant: But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubilee: And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his fathers shall he return."

The Books of Exodus and Deuteronomy mention that the punishment for kidnapping an Israelite and selling them into slavery is punishable by death. And a debtor who could not pay back creditors could be sold into slavery or have his children sold.
    Exodus 21:16 "And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death."

Deuteronomy 24:7 "If a man be found stealing any of his brethren of the children of Israel, and maketh merchandise of him, or selleth him; then that thief shall die; and thou shalt put evil away from among you."

II Kings 4:1 "Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the Lord: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen."

Slaves could, themselves, own slaves. Saul's slave Ziba owned 20 slaves of his own: 2 Samuel 9:10: "...Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants."
    The Sabbath applied to slaves as well.
    Exodus 20:10 "But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates."

The New Testament did not forbid or alter the institution of slavery, nor did it improve their conditions.
    1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
    Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
    Colossians 3:11 "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all."

Sources

The Bible, 21st Century King James Version.

The Bible, King James Version.
    The Bible, Modern Language Version.
    The Bible, New International Version.
    The Bible, New Living Translation.
    The Bible, Revised Standard Version.
    Ellerbe, Helen, The Dark Side of Christian History, Morning Star Books, 1995.
    Wood, Forrest, The Arrogance of Faith, Alfred A. Knopf, 1990.

SOURCE: http://etori.tripod.com/slave-verses.html
    Last edited by Katweezel; April 23rd, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Dogma schmogma

You haven't said anything about a myriad of evils. Am I to understand you endorse them or think all of them OK? Your logic is obviously faulty as usual. I know you desperately try to distort things to get others to be hateful bigots but try to keep it from the ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    You haven't said anything about a myriad of evils. Am I to understand you endorse them or think all of them OK? Your logic is obviously faulty as usual. I know you desperately try to distort things to get others to be hateful bigots but try to keep it from the ridiculous.

Can you try to keep personal insults out of what is supposed to be a civilized discussion? And try to keep to the subject without getting distracted if you can. The "Inspired Word of God" contains REAL hate and bigotry in those slavery texts there. But deluded Xians simply do not see it. Your divinity condones slavery. Admit it, get over it and move on. We after all, are only on #2 of 50. I have 48 more here for you!
    Dogma schmogma

Can you try to keep personal insults out of what is supposed to be a civilized discussion? And try to keep to the subject without getting distracted if you can. The "Inspired Word of God" contains REAL hate and bigotry in those slavery texts there. But deluded Xians simply do not see it. Your divinity condones slavery. Admit it, get over it and move on. We after all, are only on #2 of 50. I have 48 more here for you!
    By implication your hate and bigotry is not? I think everyone here can see how deep your hate and bigotry runs. It is an observation.

If you want to talk about the subject at hand look at the lead in to your cut and paste by its author which contains a blatant lie. He says, "The cost of freeing a slave was calculated using the number of years to the next Jubilee Year, ranging between 1 and 50 years." Jubilees are 7 years apart. There is a Jubilee of Jubilees that is 7 Jubilees. But THE NEXT JUBILEE YEAR is at most 6 or 7 years away not a range of 1 to 50. Why would he do such a blatant misrepresentation of fact? Because truth is not his goal but the spreading of hate and bigotry is. It looks like he found at least one gullible reader. A tiny bit of research on anything he writes about reveals this agenda and how deceit is the tool used to get readers to follow it.

+ Reply to Thread