+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Reason Why The Bible Lacks Credibility IMO

#36 of 50... The God of the Bible is Hebrew and Rules From a Fear Base.

Bible readers are expected to believe in a Hebrew (male) "God" who, while masquerading as a God of love, compassion and forgiveness, is anything but in his words and practices, and throws his weight around like the worst ancient tyrant. Bible readers are also expected to believe this Hebrew 'God' lives somewhere in the Holy Land and prefers Jews (Israelites) above all of his other 'creations'. Beliefs of this kind are a sure sign the believer was brainwashed as a child and that is probably the main reason for continuing to believe in such ancient superstition. Below is a video that accurately demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about... (In the video Elohim (God) writes of other Elohims in the Torah, but we don't learn how many other gods there are...)

Last edited by Katweezel; June 26th, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Dogma schmogma

...and well you should be afraid, for it is a fearsome thing to fall into the hands of the Almighty! The words of God from the cross are so appropriate...
    "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do!“

For the All Merciful God is an All Juct God, as well, and the days of men are numbered. I pray that Almighty God gives you the grace of a wake up call to show you how precariously you are balanced above aneternal abyss. God loves you and I a million more times thanwe love ourselves but in the end He must be just and will not contend with man forever. In my own power I know that I am wasting my breath, because I have no cleverness or persuasiveness to cause you to reconsider your chosen path, and that is why I call on God through the intercession of His Holy Mother to save you from yourself, to cause you to realize, to cause your heart to melt hear the power and love of his voice calling out to you. Right now I realize how completely powerless I qm and how open to mockery and ridicule I am, but I really don't care anymore, knowing how difficult it is for me, a believer, to do what is right, I shudder at the prospect of a non believer to find his way, yet I realize that nothing is impossible for God. I am letting go of you now. I leave you in the tender and compassionate care of Holy Mary to whom all the graces of heaven have been entrusted. God bless you, my friend.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Name:  as god.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  22.6 KB
    Dogma schmogma

Name:  aa articls3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  10.6 KBName:  aa articl ring4.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  15.0 KBName:  aa articl5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  39.5 KBName:  aa article4.gif
Views: 300
Size:  27.0 KBName:  aa article rabbi.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  36.5 KB
    Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    LOVE is a four letter word. YHWH is as well.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

#37 of 50... Bible context is so nebulous it is open to all kinds of weird interpretations.

This is the reason why there are more than 33,000 Christian sects, few of which agree on the salient points of their common 'religion'. For example the Jehovah's Witnesses can point out the Bible tracts that 'prove' to them God created the Earth and humans no more than 6000 years ago, despite an abundance of scientific evidence that proves otherwise. They also take Herod's beheading of John the Baptist on his birthday as a sure sign of God's unhappiness with birthdays; which is the reason happy birthday songs are never sung among believers, even unto children.

What do you suppose some sects made of this:

Jesus promised his disciples that certain signs will follow those who believe in Him. I read from Mark 16:15:
    “And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16“ He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. 17“ And these signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; 18they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it shall not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Pentecostals speak in tongues, but I don't think they handle live rattlesnakes anymore. Do any sects practice testing their faith by drinking deadly poison? The Catholic Church teaches a belief in transubstantiation (See Wiki below) where we see how one group accepts one biblical interpretation and others do not. The Bible seems as though the so-called Inspired Word of God was intended by Him thus: THERE YOU GO NOW. READ IT. INTERPRET THE DAMN THING HOWEVER YOU WISH!

Adoration is shown to Christ believed to be really present in sacramental bread whose reality has been changed into that of his body

In Roman Catholic theology, transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiation, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is the doctrine that, in the Eucharist, the substance of wheat bread and grape wine changes into the substance of the Body and the Blood of Jesus,[1] while all that is accessible to the senses (the appearances - species in Latin) remains as before
    Interpretations of Biblical evidence

Those who believe that in the Eucharist the bread and wine become instead the body and blood of Christ see this as plainly indicated in the New Testament, both in the Eucharistic discourse given by Christ in John 6, and in 1st Corinthians 11, where St. Paul several times equates the body and blood of Jesus with the "bread" and "cup of benediction" used in the Eucharist. Christians who deny that there is such a change (transubstantiation) deny that the New Testament teaches it. Some of them even see the New Testament as contradicting it.[citation needed]

Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Roman Catholics, who together constitute the majority of Christians,[48] hold that the consecrated elements in a valid celebration of the Eucharist indeed become the body and blood of Christ. This belief is held also by some Reform and Protestant Christian churches, Lutherans and Anglicans,[49] though they generally deny transubstantiation.

While there is a large body of theology noting the many Scriptural supports for transubstantiation, in general, Orthodox and Catholics consider it unnecessary to "prove" from texts of Scripture a belief that they see as held by Christians without interruption from the earliest, apostolic times.

They point out that the Church and its teaching existed before it assembled and canonized the New Testament, and even before any individual part of the New Testament was written.[50] They also point out that early Christians such as Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr, and Clement of Rome (who were much closer to the event than those who have later proposed a figurative interpretation of the Eucharist), described the Eucharist as truly the body and blood of Christ. They see nothing in Scripture that in any way contradicts this age-old Christian belief that the reality beneath the visible signs in the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ and no longer bread and wine. Instead, they see this teaching as the same teaching in the Bible's reports of what Christ himself and Paul the Apostle taught.

Name:  aa articl ring4.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  15.0 KBName:  aa article rabbi.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  36.5 KBName:  aa aslan hate.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  44.5 KBName:  aa angel moroni.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  18.1 KBName:  aa cahtolic geezers.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  14.3 KB
    Dogma schmogma

The teaching authority from Jesus still resides in the Catholic Church. What it has taught from day one, it continues to teach. Error is the work of the devil to divide and conquer. Men who trust in their own lights instead of the Church which is guided by the Holy Spirit, and against which Jesus promised that hell should not prevail, are doing so at the risk of private interpretation that is not necessarily the meaning intended by God. Just as the Jewish people were entrusted with the preservation of the Word of God in the Old Testament, so the Catholic Church is entrusted with safeguarding and teaching the Word of God in both the Old and the New Testaments, especially important now that the Old Testament has taken on new meaning in light of the New Testament and the coming of the Messiah.

The many Christian denominations opposed to one another in various doctrinal matters, are proof both of the authenticity of Christianity and of the fact that their is a devil and he is actively at work to sow discord and confusion among God's people. It shows the authenticity of the church because you cannot show me another religion that has been so under spiritual attack that it is divided into so many denominations and in so relatively short a time. Christianity is the gravest threat to the devil and his minions so much so that he works tirelessly to defeat it. If he can't get a person to out and out repudiate the Church, like our dear friend, Katweezel, he will get him to stray from the fullness of Christian teaching enough to where he is weakened and easier prey. Were the Christian churches to reunite, it would spell disaster for the kingdom of darkness. In this regard, in recent times entire congregations of Episcopalians have reunited with the Catholic Church, Episcopal ministers becoming Catholic priests.

So, IMO you are right about the numerous interpretations of the scriptures, but that is not as God wanted it to be. That is the work of the evil one. I hope that some day all Christians will return to the original teachings of Christ that were in evidence from the earliest times, which Catholics call "tradition." It is the combination of the Word of God and the traditional practices and beliefs from the earliest times that make up the Christian faith, and it is the sacred responsibility of the Catholic Church to preserve that faith until the end of time. Don't forget, before there even was a Bible, which wasn't official for any denomination until the 16th and 17th centuries, there were lists of books (in fact, the entire 27 considered today's New Testament) considered inspired by many as early as the 2nd century and enumerated in a Church Council in Hippo in 393 AD. Without a Bible per se the early Christians depended a lot on what were the early Christian practices and commonly held beliefs, aided of course, by the not-yet-declared sacred scriptures and other writings. Tradition cannot be underestimated as a source of the Christian faith. The Bible clearly cannot be the only source.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    The teaching authority from Jesus still resides in the Catholic Church. What it has taught from day one, it continues to teach. Error is the work of the devil to divide and conquer. Men who trust in their own lights instead of the Church which is guided by the Holy Spirit, and against which Jesus promised that hell should not prevail, are doing so at the risk of private interpretation that is not necessarily the meaning intended by God. Just as the Jewish people were entrusted with the preservation of the Word of God in the Old Testament, so the Catholic Church is entrusted with safeguarding and teaching the Word of God in both the Old and the New Testaments, especially important now that the Old Testament has taken on new meaning in light of the New Testament and the coming of the Messiah.

The many Christian denominations opposed to one another in various doctrinal matters, are proof both of the authenticity of Christianity and of the fact that their is a devil and he is actively at work to sow discord and confusion among God's people. It shows the authenticity of the church because you cannot show me another religion that has been so under spiritual attack that it is divided into so many denominations and in so relatively short a time. Christianity is the gravest threat to the devil and his minions so much so that he works tirelessly to defeat it. If he can't get a person to out and out repudiate the Church, like our dear friend, Katweezel, he will get him to stray from the fullness of Christian teaching enough to where he is weakened and easier prey. Were the Christian churches to reunite, it would spell disaster for the kingdom of darkness. In this regard, in recent times entire congregations of Episcopalians have reunited with the Catholic Church, Episcopal ministers becoming Catholic priests.

So, IMO you are right about the numerous interpretations of the scriptures, but that is not as God wanted it to be. That is the work of the evil one. I hope that some day all Christians will return to the original teachings of Christ that were in evidence from the earliest times, which Catholics call "tradition." It is the combination of the Word of God and the traditional practices and beliefs from the earliest times that make up the Christian faith, and it is the sacred responsibility of the Catholic Church to preserve that faith until the end of time. Don't forget, before there even was a Bible, which wasn't official for any denomination until the 16th and 17th centuries, there were lists of books (in fact, the entire 27 considered today's New Testament) considered inspired by many as early as the 2nd century and enumerated in a Church Council in Hippo in 393 AD. Without a Bible per se the early Christians depended a lot on what were the early Christian practices and commonly held beliefs, aided of course, by the not-yet-declared sacred scriptures and other writings. Tradition cannot be underestimated as a source of the Christian faith. The Bible clearly cannot be the only source.
    Your greatest fear is upon you. Satan the Beelzebubba is here.

Name:  aaaslan bud jesat.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  38.9 KBName:  cda2.jpg
Views: 3647
Size:  15.0 KBName:  cartoon_devil.gif
Views: 366
Size:  8.5 KBName:  devilinthedetaill.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  13.1 KBName:  devil_bodyart.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  32.7 KB
    Last edited by Katweezel; July 1st, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
    Dogma schmogma

Your depictions are not near hideous enough. None of those depictions look anywhere near sinister enough to have inspired the murder of 12 million Jews, Christians and others in the German death camps during WWII, or the millions slaughtered by Josef Stalin during his reign of terror in Russia, or the millions killed in all the unjust wars throughout the centuries. The real Satan is a monster who delights in deceiving humankind into death, destruction and mayhem.

Oh, yeah, maybe he doesn't exist and all that we witness in the world is just the result of evil men. Yeah, right. Anyway, Jesus said he exists, the Bible says he exists, and my own sense of the world says that he exists. Another fable? His best trick is to convince the world that he does not exist.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Your greatest fear is upon you. Satan the Beelzebubba is here.

Attachment 16859Attachment 16863Attachment 16860Attachment 16861Attachment 16862
    Aslan is not the one who has something to fear in Satan.

Be subject therefore to God, but resist the devil, and he will fly from thee. James 4:7
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Be subject therefore to God, but resist the devil, and he will fly from thee. James 4:7
    See Aslan understood. He does not fear Satan at all. He may have Satan try to mess with him but He has a strength inside him to send Satan running like a scared little girl.

#38 of 50... The Bible Promotes TWO Deities: God and Satan.

Satan is mentioned 49 times in the Bible, The Devil 57 and Lucifer 1. Satan shares equal billing with God in the Christian Pantheon. (After all they had to cook up a story outrageous enough to convince the simple-minded and highly-superstitious about the origin of 'evil)'.
    Although, if you are Catholic, there are FIVE Gods in their Pantheon: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, Mary and Satan. God is said to have created all things good. And if you believe the Christian mythology, He also created Satan who was the brightest angel but he challenged God and sinned and was cast out of heaven and thus sin/evil was born. If you are gullible enough to believe in that childish biblical fairy tale then ... what can I say; you deserve what you get.

God created Satan in the first place, and obviously the existence of evil in the world is all God's fault! And yet Satan - being another deity - apparently has equal powers as 'God.' And 'God' was apparently powerless to take control of the situation and eliminate both 'evil' and Satan with one fell swoop. But He did nothing and to this day He is apparently unable or unwilling to intervene for the sake of humanity. The Fable of Satan is one of Christianity's worst and most cowardly.

Here are some Sam Harris quotes; he is a shining light for today's spiritually-confused and deluded (religious) world.

Sam Harris Quotes

(American Author)

"The problem with faith, is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason, why you do not have to give reasons, for what you believe."

"Religious faith is the one species of human ignorance that will not admit of even the possibility of correction."

"We must find our way to a time when faith, without evidence, disgraces anyone who would claim it."

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings."

"Words like 'God' and 'Allah' must go the way of 'Apollo' and 'Baal' or they will unmake our world."

"The Creator who purports to be beyond human judgment is consistently ruled by human passions—jealousy, wrath, suspicion, and the lust to dominate."

"What will we do if an Islamist regime, which grows dewy-eyed at the mere mention of paradise, ever acquires long-range nuclear weaponry?"

"Jesus Christ—who, as it turns out, was born of a virgin, cheated death, and rose bodily into the heavens—can now be eaten in the form of a cracker."

"There are ideas within Buddhism that are so incredible as to render the dogma of the virgin birth plausible by comparison."

"It is time we acknowledged that no real foundation exists within the canons of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or any of our other faiths for religious tolerance and religious diversity."

"By failing to live by the letter of the texts, while tolerating the irrationality of those who do, religious moderates betray faith and reason equally."

"A person can be a God-fearing Christian on Sunday and a working scientist come Monday morning, without ever having to account for the partition that seems to have erected itself in his head while he slept."

"120 million of us place the big bang 2,500 years after the Babylonians and Sumerians learned to brew beer."

"Only 28 percent of Americans believe in evolution; 68 percent believe in Satan."

"The difference between science and religion is the difference between a willingness to dispassionately consider new evidence and new arguments, and a passionate unwillingness to do so."

"Those opposed to therapeutic stem-cell research on religious grounds constitute the biological and ethical equivalent of a flat-earth society."

"Millions of Christians and Muslims now organize their lives around prophetic traditions that will only find fulfillment once rivers of blood begin flowing from Jerusalem."

"There is clearly a sacred dimension to our existence, and coming to terms with it could well be the highest purpose of human life."

"Spirituality can be—indeed, must be—deeply rational."

Quotes in database: 485
    About this site | List of people quoted | Suggest a quote | Other godless sites
    Copyright © 2009, godless-quotes.org. All rights reserved.
    Disclaimer
    Last edited by Katweezel; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: The devil made me do it
    Dogma schmogma

Name:  aa aas devil.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  4.3 KBName:  aa as devil3.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  25.9 KB
    Dogma schmogma

Every time you put up a reason in your 50 reasons you lose credibility. The entire bold print is completely wrong. I doubt anybody that even has a peripheral understanding of Christianity would buy any of it. Are you really that ignorant? I guess it shouldn't surprise me, bigotry is based in ignorance. Bigots get together and trade stories that reinforce each others beliefs and when others who may or may not like the hated group hear their stories they just roll their eyes and try not to wretch at the ugliness of the spectacle of beliefs based only in hatred. This has been the true cause of all the atrocities you rail against. The hatred of bigotry. The players wear different uniforms but they all share your hate filled philosophy for the group they attempt to destroy or harm.

+ Reply to Thread