+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Evil Organizations: The Jesuits

Default Most Evil Organizations: The Jesuits

Key Facts
    Other names Society of Jesus, The Company of Jesus, The Company
    Year of origin 1540 Papal bull Regimini militantis ecclesiae ("To the Government of the Church Militant")
    Founder Francis Borja & Ignatius of Loyola
    Headquarters Church of the Gesù, Rome
    Head of Organization Superior General
    Current Leader Adolfo Nicolás
    Members 18,815 (2008)
    Foundation
    The Jesuits were founded initially as The Company of Jesus on "Assumption Day" August 15, 1534, in a secret ceremony in the crypt of the Chapel of St. Denis by Ignatius of Loyola (born Íñigo López de Loyola) and Francisco Xavier, Alfonso Salmeron, Diego Laínez, and Nicolás Bobadilla all from Spain, Peter Faber from Savoy in France, and Simão Rodrigues from Portugal.
    The formation was approved by Francis Borja, of the infamous "Borja" also known as Borgia/Borga, Duke of Grandia, grandson of Pope Alexander VI and the patron of Ignatius of Loyola. Francis Borja was the principle financier and architect in the formalization of the Jesuits into the first dedicated military order of monks of the Catholic Church. He was also responsible for securing the Papal Bull Regimini militantis (September 27, 1540) from Borja family friend Alessandro Farnese Pope Paul III which first gave the Jesuits official status as an order.
    Ignatius of Loyola first came to the attention of the young Duke of Grandia by 1529 after Ignatius was again arrested by the Inquisition for practicing extreme religious devotion. Borja saw potential in the extreme military based devotion being preached by Ignatius of Loyola and his desire to establish an order of military monks. It was the young Borja who saved the life of Ignatius from the Inquisition.
    At the death of Ignatius in 1557, Francis Borja was expected to be the second Superior General. However, his ambitions were hampered firstly by arch-enemy Giovanni Pietro Carafa as Pope Paul IV (1555-1559). Carafa had been one of the greatest enemies of Borja Pope Alexander VI and immediately nominated Diego Laynez (James Lainez) as Superior General.
    Pope Paul IV died in August of 1559 and was replaced by Giovanni Angelo de' Medici (Pope Pius IV). In both cases, Jesuit Superior General Diego Laynez aligned himself closely making him virtually untouchable.
    However, after Pope Pius IV rounded up and tortured and murdered Benedetto Accolti and other members of Papal families in an alleged failed plot, Cardinal Borja made his move and Pius IV was poisoned to death on December 9, 1565. A few days later, Superior General Diego Laynez suffered the same fate and soon after Cardinal Francis Borja was unanimously elected the third Superior General.
    Unique features of the Jesuit Military Order
    Borja strengthened the already substantial powers of the Jesuit Superior General to be greater than any other Order in the history of the Catholic Church.
    While technically monks, the Constitution of the Order was unique in that it exempted priests from the cloisted rule (i.e. living in monasteries). Instead, Jesuit monks were to live "in the world". Only the Dominican Priests who were the chief torturers of the Inquisition and the Catholic Church at the time had anything like such freedoms.
    However, the Jesuit Constitution from the very beginning went even further in that it permitted and even encouraged the priests not to wear the habit (traditional monk dress) so that they would "blend in" to the world.
    Borja secured a Papal Bull from Pope Paul III in 1545 permitting the Jesuits to preach, hear confession, dispense the sacraments and say mass without having to refer to a bishop- effectively placing them outside the control of the regional clergy.
    In addition, Borja amended the Constitution of the Jesuit Military Order even further when he bestowed powers to the office of the Superior General of the Jesuits second only to the Pope. By its own constitution from 1565 (and which remains in force even today), the Superior General can absolve priests and new recruits of all their sins, even the sin of heresy and schism, the falsification of apostolic writings. Further, the Superior Generals from the time of Borja onwards had the "official" power by Papal Bull and its by-laws to reverse sentences of excommunication, suspension or interdict and even absolve Jesuit priests guilty of murder and bigamy.
    But one of the most stunning victories of Superior General Borja was in the year he died, when he secured under Pope Gregory XIII in 1572 the rights of the Jesuits to deal in commerce and banking - a right that had not been granted to any religious order of the Catholic Church since the Knights Templars four hundred years earlier.
    In fact, it is these laws under the Constitution of the Jesuit Order that have rise to the Superior General being known as the Black Pope.

Much more at SOURCE: http://one-evil.org/entities_organiz...rg_jesuits.htm
    Dogma schmogma

Quotations: Jesuit Order
    "My history of the Jesuits is not eloquently written, but it is supported by unquestionable authorities, [and] is very particular and very horrible. Their [the Jesuit Order's] restoration [in 1814 by Pope Pius VII] is indeed a step toward darkness, cruelty, despotism, [and] death. … I do not like the appearance of the Jesuits. If ever there was a body of men who merited eternal damnation on earth and in hell, it is this Society of [Ignatius de] Loyola."
    John Adams (1735-1826; 2nd President of the United States)

"It is my opinion that if the liberties of this country - the United States of America - are destroyed, it will be by the subtlety of the Roman Catholic Jesuit priests, for they are the most crafty, dangerous enemies to civil and religious liberty. They have instigated MOST of the wars of Europe."
    Marquis de LaFayette (1757-1834; French statesman and general. He served in the American Continental Army under the command of General George Washington during the American Revolutionary War.)

"The war [i.e., the American Civil War of 1861-1865] would never have been possible without the sinister influence of the Jesuits."
    Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865; 16th President of the United States, Note: Please see the end of this document for the full quotation by Lincoln.)

"The public is practically unaware of the overwhelming responsibility carried by the Vatican and its Jesuits in the starting of the two world wars - a situation which may be explained in part by the gigantic finances at the disposition of the Vatican and its Jesuits, giving them power in so many spheres, especially since the last conflict." Edmond Paris (Author of the book The Secret History of the Jesuits)

"The Jesuits…are a secret society - a sort of Masonic order - with superadded features of revolting odiousness, and a thousand times more dangerous." Samuel Morse (1791-1872; American inventor of the telegraph; author of the book Foreign Conspiracy Against the Liberties of the United States) ((Note: For Morse's full quotation from which this excerpt was taken, please see the end of this document.))

"[The Jesuits] are the deadly enemies of civil and religious liberty."
    R. W. Thompson (Ex-Secretary, American Navy)

"The Jesuits are a MILITARY organization, not a religious order. Their chief is a general of an army, not the mere father abbot of a monastery. And the aim of this organization is power - power in its most despotic exercise - absolute power, universal power, power to control the world by the volition of a single man [i.e., the Black Pope, the Superior General of the Jesuits]. Jesuitism is the most absolute of despotisms [sic] - and at the same time the greatest and most enormous of abuses…"
    Napoleon I (i.e., Napoleon Bonaparte; 1769-1821; emperor of the French)

"…The Roman Inquisition…had been administered since 1542 by the Jesuits."
    F. Tupper Saussy (Author of the book Rulers of Evil)

"Between 1555 and 1931 the Society of Jesus [i.e., the Jesuit Order] was expelled from at least 83 countries, city states and cities, for engaging in political intrigue and subversion plots against the welfare of the State, according to the records of a Jesuit priest of repute [Thomas J. Campbell]. …Practically every instance of expulsion was for political intrigue, political infiltration, political subversion, and inciting to political insurrection." (1987)
    J.E.C. Shepherd (Canadian historian)

"It is impossible to read Elizabethan history [i.e., the history surrounding Queen Elizabeth I of England; queen: 1558-1603] except in the context of an army of Jesuits, masters of deceit, treachery, treason, infiltration, subversion, assassination, insurrection, civil war and coercion, plotting for the good of the papacy, and the defeat of all the Pope's foes anywhere in the world." (1987)

"The whole frightful responsibility for this terrible Thirty Years' War [1618-1648] must rest upon the [Holy Roman] Emperor Ferdinand II, and his teachers, rulers, and bosom friends - the Sons of Loyola [i.e., the Jesuit Order]."
    Theodor Griesinger (German historian; 1873)

"If you trace up Masonry, through all its Orders, till you come to the grand tip-top head Mason of the World, you will discover that the dread individual and the Chief of the Society of Jesus [i.e., the Superior General of the Jesuit Order] are one and the same person."
    James Parton (American historian)

More at SOURCE: http://66691177999.yuku.com/topic/25...s-Jesuit-Order
    Last edited by Katweezel; February 13th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Dogma schmogma

Jesuits to pay victims of abuse By KEVIN GRAMAN - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW
    Added: Thursday, 31 March 2011

The Jesuit order that established Catholic missionary schools across the Northwest and Alaska has agreed to a $166 million payout to settle child sex-abuse allegations from 500 people against its clergy and other agents.
    The proposal would be among the largest payouts so far in the crisis that has beset the Roman Catholic Church during the past decade. And it would require The Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, to offer written apologies and provide pertinent records of the approximately 140 priests, nuns, brothers and lay workers accused from the 1950s through the 1980s.

“The breadth of the abuse and the sheer number of victims is staggering,” said attorney Michael Pfau, who represents 150 of those who alleged abuse. “It’s troubling that so much of the abuse happened to the poorest and most vulnerable children among us.”
    The Northwest Jesuits have a rich tradition in the region that includes founding Gonzaga University in Spokane and Seattle University.

Most abuse victims were Alaska Natives or American Indians. In many cases Northwest Jesuit leaders moved priests accused of sexual abuse to Alaska Native villages and Indian reservations in Montana, Eastern Washington, Idaho and Oregon, attorneys and survivors said.
    During a Friday press conference announcing the settlement proposal, Dorothea Skalicky recalled growing up on the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, where she was sexually abused by a priest she knew as “Father Freddy.”

The Rev. Augustine Ferretti had been assigned to Sacred Heart Church in Lapwai, Idaho, in the 1970s after serving throughout the Northwest, including St. Michael’s Scholasticate in Spokane in 1969. He died in 1982, two years after being assigned to Gonzaga University.

He has been accused of molesting at least 34 children, some of whom have filed lawsuits accusing him of abuse.
    “I thought I was alone,” Skalicky recalled, “but discovered I was only one of hundreds of Native American victims.”
    “It’s tragic,” Coeur d’Alene attorney Leander James said. “Clearly, they sent problem priests to reservations and remote villages, knowing these priests would have direct access to children.”

The Northwest Jesuits attempted to settle many of the allegations, though when the scope of the scandal grew, the religious order filed for bankruptcy protection in February 2009.

SOURCE: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/6...ctims-of-abuse
    Dogma schmogma

“Never before in the course of the world’s history had such a Society [the Jesuit Order] appeared. The old Roman Senate itself did not lay schemes for world domination with greater certainty of success.” Friedrich von Hardenberg...1800 German philosopher

“[Jesuit Adam] Weishaupt established the [modern version of the] Illuminati specifically to be a front organization behind which the Jesuits could hide. After being [formally] abolished by [Pope] Clement XIV in 1773, the Jesuits used the Illuminati and other organizations [Secret Societies] to carry out their operations. Thus, the front organizations would be blamed for the trouble caused by the Jesuits.” Bill Hughes...Author of The Secret Terrorists and The Enemy Unmasked

..."This Society is, a political engine....Are the Jesuits, then, friends to Freedom?....In the eyes of the people they exist whenever despotism exists, and disappear whenever liberty appears. Devoid to the past, they are the enemies of the future; so much so, that were it possible, they would even prevent time from advancing . To a superior they sacrifice life and conscience. To their Order they sacrifice individuality. They are neither Frenchmen, Germans, nor Spaniards. They are not citizens of any country. THEY ARE JESUITS ONLY!!!. They have but one family, one fortune, and one end; and all these are included in the word "community" (i.e. communism of celibates) to labour, in short, for one object (ONLY) which is not the triumph of religion, but the triumph of the Company of Jesuits, and the establishment of its "Mastery of the World"!!! M Garnier Pages, 1861
    French Historian and Journalist "Mourning Star"

"The Society of Jesus is the enemy of man, The whole human race should unite for its overthrow. Earth and Heaven should rejoice together over its tomb. For there is NO alternative between its total extirpation, and the absolute corruption and degradation of Mankind!". Robert J. Breckinridge, 1841 American Presbyterian Pastor

"See, my lord" from this room I govern not only Paris, but China not only China but the whole world. Without anyone knowing how it is managed! Michael Angelo Tamburini...1720 General of the Jesuits; speaking to the Duke of Brancus, 1720

"The SS had been organized by Heinrich Himmler according to the principles of the Jesuit Order. The rules of service and spiritual exercises prescribed by Ignatius de Loyola [the founder of the Jesuit Order] constituted a model which Heinrich Himmler strove carefully to copy. Absolute obedience was the supreme rule; every order had to be executed without comment." Walter Shellenberg...Chief of the Nazi Sicherheitdienst SD

“Above all I have learned from the Jesuits, and so did Lenin too as far as I recall. The world has never known anything quite so splendid as the hierarchical structure of the [Roman] Catholic Church. There were quite a few things I simply appropriated from the Jesuits for the use of the Nazi party. Adolph Hitler (1889-1945; Nazi leader and Chancellor of Germany from 1933-1945)

Name:  What-good-fortune-Hitler_.gif
Views: 618
Size:  12.8 KB

Last edited by Katweezel; May 5th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Quotations: Jesuit Order
    "My history of the Jesuits is not eloquently written, but it is supported by unquestionable authorities, [and] is very particular and very horrible. Their [the Jesuit Order's] restoration [in 1814 by Pope Pius VII] is indeed a step toward darkness, cruelty, despotism, [and] death. … I do not like the appearance of the Jesuits. If ever there was a body of men who merited eternal damnation on earth and in hell, it is this Society of [Ignatius de] Loyola."
    John Adams (1735-1826; 2nd President of the United States)

"It is my opinion that if the liberties of this country - the United States of America - are destroyed, it will be by the subtlety of the Roman Catholic Jesuit priests, for they are the most crafty, dangerous enemies to civil and religious liberty. They have instigated MOST of the wars of Europe."
    Marquis de LaFayette (1757-1834; French statesman and general. He served in the American Continental Army under the command of General George Washington during the American Revolutionary War.)

"The war [i.e., the American Civil War of 1861-1865] would never have been possible without the sinister influence of the Jesuits."
    Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865; 16th President of the United States, Note: Please see the end of this document for the full quotation by Lincoln.)

"The public is practically unaware of the overwhelming responsibility carried by the Vatican and its Jesuits in the starting of the two world wars - a situation which may be explained in part by the gigantic finances at the disposition of the Vatican and its Jesuits, giving them power in so many spheres, especially since the last conflict." Edmond Paris (Author of the book The Secret History of the Jesuits)

"The Jesuits…are a secret society - a sort of Masonic order - with superadded features of revolting odiousness, and a thousand times more dangerous." Samuel Morse (1791-1872; American inventor of the telegraph; author of the book Foreign Conspiracy Against the Liberties of the United States) ((Note: For Morse's full quotation from which this excerpt was taken, please see the end of this document.))

"[The Jesuits] are the deadly enemies of civil and religious liberty."
    R. W. Thompson (Ex-Secretary, American Navy)

"The Jesuits are a MILITARY organization, not a religious order. Their chief is a general of an army, not the mere father abbot of a monastery. And the aim of this organization is power - power in its most despotic exercise - absolute power, universal power, power to control the world by the volition of a single man [i.e., the Black Pope, the Superior General of the Jesuits]. Jesuitism is the most absolute of despotisms [sic] - and at the same time the greatest and most enormous of abuses…"
    Napoleon I (i.e., Napoleon Bonaparte; 1769-1821; emperor of the French)

"…The Roman Inquisition…had been administered since 1542 by the Jesuits."
    F. Tupper Saussy (Author of the book Rulers of Evil)

"Between 1555 and 1931 the Society of Jesus [i.e., the Jesuit Order] was expelled from at least 83 countries, city states and cities, for engaging in political intrigue and subversion plots against the welfare of the State, according to the records of a Jesuit priest of repute [Thomas J. Campbell]. …Practically every instance of expulsion was for political intrigue, political infiltration, political subversion, and inciting to political insurrection." (1987)

"It is impossible to read Elizabethan history [i.e., the history surrounding Queen Elizabeth I of England; queen: 1558-1603] except in the context of an army of Jesuits, masters of deceit, treachery, treason, infiltration, subversion, assassination, insurrection, civil war and coercion, plotting for the good of the papacy, and the defeat of all the Pope's foes anywhere in the world." (1987)

"The whole frightful responsibility for this terrible Thirty Years' War [1618-1648] must rest upon the [Holy Roman] Emperor Ferdinand II, and his teachers, rulers, and bosom friends - the Sons of Loyola [i.e., the Jesuit Order]."
    Theodor Griesinger (German historian; 1873)

"If you trace up Masonry, through all its Orders, till you come to the grand tip-top head Mason of the World, you will discover that the dread individual and the Chief of the Society of Jesus [i.e., the Superior General of the Jesuit Order] are one and the same person."
    James Parton (American historian)

More at SOURCE: http://66691177999.yuku.com/topic/25...s-Jesuit-Order
    I doubt that even half of this could be true, and likely, none of it is true. Hahaha I was educated by Jesuits, first in High School, and last, at the university level. They tend to be on the intellectual side, and liberal leaning, though this is a generalization, and cannot be attributed to all of the order. They are anything but military. As for the head of the Jesuits being the top Mason, that would really be something, since the Masons are contrary to anything Catholic. Also, the Jesuits are in no way a secret organization. But I guess there is a certain segment of the public that is hungry for anything that smacks of Catholic corruption and intrigue. Whatever the truth of any specifics, the the Church has ever been the protector and preserver of the genuine teachings of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Even the "bad" popes were not able (I doubt they tried) to introduce error into the Church's teachings. This is a sign of the authenticity of the Catholic Church. It is ever the same in its teaching, so that people who look past the human frailties sometimes demonstrated by some of its leaders, will find a precious spiritual treasure, which will serve them well in this life and lead them to eternal life in the next life.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Jesuits to pay victims of abuse By KEVIN GRAMAN - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW
    Added: Thursday, 31 March 2011

The Jesuit order that established Catholic missionary schools across the Northwest and Alaska has agreed to a $166 million payout to settle child sex-abuse allegations from 500 people against its clergy and other agents.
    The proposal would be among the largest payouts so far in the crisis that has beset the Roman Catholic Church during the past decade. And it would require The Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, to offer written apologies and provide pertinent records of the approximately 140 priests, nuns, brothers and lay workers accused from the 1950s through the 1980s.

“The breadth of the abuse and the sheer number of victims is staggering,” said attorney Michael Pfau, who represents 150 of those who alleged abuse. “It’s troubling that so much of the abuse happened to the poorest and most vulnerable children among us.”
    The Northwest Jesuits have a rich tradition in the region that includes founding Gonzaga University in Spokane and Seattle University.

Most abuse victims were Alaska Natives or American Indians. In many cases Northwest Jesuit leaders moved priests accused of sexual abuse to Alaska Native villages and Indian reservations in Montana, Eastern Washington, Idaho and Oregon, attorneys and survivors said.
    During a Friday press conference announcing the settlement proposal, Dorothea Skalicky recalled growing up on the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, where she was sexually abused by a priest she knew as “Father Freddy.”

The Rev. Augustine Ferretti had been assigned to Sacred Heart Church in Lapwai, Idaho, in the 1970s after serving throughout the Northwest, including St. Michael’s Scholasticate in Spokane in 1969. He died in 1982, two years after being assigned to Gonzaga University.

He has been accused of molesting at least 34 children, some of whom have filed lawsuits accusing him of abuse.
    “I thought I was alone,” Skalicky recalled, “but discovered I was only one of hundreds of Native American victims.”
    “It’s tragic,” Coeur d’Alene attorney Leander James said. “Clearly, they sent problem priests to reservations and remote villages, knowing these priests would have direct access to children.”

The Northwest Jesuits attempted to settle many of the allegations, though when the scope of the scandal grew, the religious order filed for bankruptcy protection in February 2009.

SOURCE: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/6...ctims-of-abuse
    The Church consistently teaches against and condemns homosexuality, pedophilia, and other sexual abuses. That a portion of organizations that serve children, such as the Church, the Boy Scouts, teachers in the various school systems, both public and parochial, day care centers, coaches of children's sports teams, etc., are given to violating their sacred trust by abusing children in their care, is no surprise. It is a heinous crime. Also, organizations that are all, or mainly, of one sex, unsurprisingly have a higher incidence of homosexual abuses. I can't speak for the other organizations, but I know the Catholic Church has racheted up its screening of trainees for the clergy. But since such organizations attract such people because of the access to children, I would imagine a certain number will still find a way to fool the screening. I personally think such organizations need to be more like the casinos in observing their employees, with "eyes" everywhere, and scrupulously avoiding situations that could give rise to crimes. Take away the opportunity and you take away the crime.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I doubt that even half of this could be true, and likely, none of it is true. Hahaha I was educated by Jesuits, first in High School, and last, at the university level. They tend to be on the intellectual side, and liberal leaning, though this is a generalization, and cannot be attributed to all of the order. They are anything but military. As for the head of the Jesuits being the top Mason, that would really be something, since the Masons are contrary to anything Catholic. Also, the Jesuits are in no way a secret organization. But I guess there is a certain segment of the public that is hungry for anything that smacks of Catholic corruption and intrigue. Whatever the truth of any specifics, the the Church has ever been the protector and preserver of the genuine teachings of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Even the "bad" popes were not able (I doubt they tried) to introduce error into the Church's teachings. This is a sign of the authenticity of the Catholic Church. It is ever the same in its teaching, so that people who look past the human frailties sometimes demonstrated by some of its leaders, will find a precious spiritual treasure, which will serve them well in this life and lead them to eternal life in the next life.
    Faith in and loyalty to one's beliefs are surely commendable character attributes. But let that not blind you to the inescapable facts: Jesuits have a dark and terrible history as the force behind Vatican political intrigue for centuries. I realize you will never hear an unkind word against Rome, but history speaks for itself. You might start by reading this Jesuit Oath, which exposes exactly what a Jesuit was committing himself for.

Name:  jesuit_oath.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  87.7 KB
    Dogma schmogma

Faith in and loyalty to one's beliefs are surely commendable character attributes. But let that not blind you to the inescapable facts: Jesuits have a dark and terrible history as the force behind Vatican political intrigue for centuries. I realize you will never hear an unkind word against Rome, but history speaks for itself. You might start by reading this Jesuit Oath, which exposes exactly what a Jesuit was committing himself for.

Attachment 15461
    Did you make that up by yourself?
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Jesuit vows- Here's the real thing:

Final Vows? What's That?
    Posted at: Friday, October 30, 2009 01:39:15 PM
    Author: James Martin, S.J.

If you’re at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in New York on Sunday, and able to dodge the marathoners, you’ll see something that few people ever see: a Jesuit final vow Mass.

After 21 years as a Jesuit, I've been "invited," as we say in the Society of Jesus, to pronounce final vows. The “vow formula” goes as follows:

I, [name] make my profession, and I promise to Almighty God, in the presence of the Virgin Mother, the whole heavenly court, and all those here present, and to you, Reverend Father [provincial's name], representing the Superior General of the Society of Jesus and his successors and holding the place of God, perpetual poverty, chastity and obedience; and, in conformity with it, special care for the instruction of children, according to the manner of living contained in the apostolic letters of the Society of Jesus and its Constitutions. I further promise a special obedience to the Sovereign Pontiff in regard to the missions according to the same apostolic letters and the Constitutions.

After "solemn" vows, the "fully professed" take five "simple" vows, privately--after Mass, in a side chapel or a sacristy. These vows show how well St. Ignatius understood human nature. First, we vow never to change anything in the Jesuit Constitutions about poverty--unless to make it "more strict." Second, a vow never to "strive or ambition" for any dignity in the church, like becoming a bishop. Third, never to "strive or ambition" for any high office in the Jesuits. Fourth, if we find out that someone is striving for these things, we are to "communicate his name" to the Society. (A friend calls this the vow to rat out someone, but it's another indication of how much Ignatius wanted to eliminate ambition, as far as possible, from the Jesuits.) Finally, we take a vow that, if we are somehow made bishop, we will still listen to the superior general.

And, by the way, you’ll notice that the famous “fourth vow” to the pope is regarding “the missions,” reflecting Ignatius’s understanding that the pope had a better view of where in the world the Jesuits were needed. As John W. O’Malley, S.J., has written the fourth vow, often misunderstood in Catholic circles, is about worldwide mobility.

Even lifelong Catholics have a hard time understanding what all this means. "Didn't you take vows after two years of novitiate?" "Aren't you ordained already?" "Don't you live according to poverty, chastity and obedience anyway?" The answers to those questions are: yes, yes and yes. So final vows deserve a little explanation.

Essentially, Jesuits take "simple vows" or "first vows" after they have completed their two-year novitiate. And indeed we vow to be poor, chaste and obedient, in imitation of Christ. But in those first vows we promise that we "will enter" the Society of Jesus. In a sense, it's an offering to God, which we hope will be confirmed. "[A]s you have freely given me the desire to make this offering,” we say in first vows, “so may you also give me the abundant grace to fulfill it."

After completing the many years of Jesuit training and, for some, after ordination, a Jesuit is invited into the final stage of his training, called "tertianship," which includes making the full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, a.k.a. the Long Retreat. After this, many Jesuits fill out evaluations of your suitability for final vows (called informatios), answering several broad questions. ("Does his life as a Jesuit give witness as a man consecrated to God?") The evaluations are sent to your home province, and from there to Rome, where the superior general of the Society of Jesus approves (you pray) "full incorporation" into the Jesuits.

Several analogies are helpful, but imperfect. It's somewhat like making tenure (you're already a professor but now a "full" one). It's somewhat like making partner (you're already a member of a law firm, but now a "full" one). Or, more indelicately, it's somewhat like becoming a "made man" in the Mafia (cf: "Goodfellas").

A better way to say it is this: the Society of Jesus is accepting that offer you made all those years ago as a novice. As another Jesuit said, at First Vows, you accept the Society; at Final Vows, the Society accepts you, "for better or worse."

For me, this means that all those years of discerning and thinking and wondering and talking and and writing and struggling and rejoicing about being a Jesuit have been confirmed. And not just confirmed by my own prayer and experience--but by the Society of Jesus.

In this world, there are few things that you can be sure of. But after 21 years as a Jesuit, and confirmation from the Society of Jesus, I'm sure of my vocation. And as God has given you the grace of your own particular vocation, may God also give you the grace to fulfill it.

James Martin, SJ

http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/...56807869140223
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Frequently asked questions about the Jesuits

FAQs

What is the Society of Jesus?
    The Society of Jesus is a religious order of the Roman Catholic Church, founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola. The Jesuits are the largest male religious order in the world, with approximately 19,000 members internationally.

How was the Society of Jesus founded?
    Ignatius of Loyola founded the ‘Company of Jesus’ with six others (Francisco Xavier, Pierre Faber, Alonso Salmerón, Diego Laínez, Nicolás Bobadilla and Simão Rodriguez) and took their first vows at a Mass at Montmartre in Paris in 1534. In 1537 they traveled to Italy to receive permission from Pope Paul III for the religious order. Later that year, Ignatius and his companions were ordained to the priesthood in Venice, Italy. On September 27, 1540, at the Palazzo San Marco in Rome, Pope Paul III signed the Bull “Regimini militantis ecclesiae,” establishing the Society of Jesus officially as a religious order.

How is the Society of Jesus organized?
    Jesuits around the world are organized into 91 geographic areas called provinces governed by a provincial superior who is appointed by and reports directly to the Society’s Superior General. Jesuit provinces are grouped into 10 regional “assistancies,” each with an “assistant” to Father General in Rome. In the United States, ten provinces form a single assistancy.

Who is the current Superior General of the Society of Jesus?
    On January 19, 2008, Father Adolfo Nicolás, SJ, moderator of the East Asian Assistancy, was elected 30th Superior General of the Society of Jesus.

Please also see our Superior General section of the website.

Where does the name Jesuit come from?
    It was first applied derisively to the Society, meaning “one who used too frequently or appropriated the name of Jesus.” While never employed by its founder, members and friends of the Society in time appropriated the name in its now positive meaning.

What are the vows that Jesuits take? What is the fourth vow?
    Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. The fourth vow is of obedience to the Pope with regard to mission.

What is the formula for the four solemn vows that Jesuits take?
    I, (name), make my profession, and I promise to Almighty God, in the presence of his Virgin Mother, the whole heavenly court, and all those here present and to you , Reverend Father (Provincial, Rector, etc.) representing the Superior General of the Society of Jesus and his successors and holding the place of God, perpetual poverty, chastity and obedience; and, in conformity with it, special care for the instruction of children, according to the manner of living contained in the apostolic letters of the Society of Jesus and its Constitutions.

I further promise a special obedience to the Sovereign Pontiff in regard to the missions according to the same apostolic letters and Constitutions.

Place (name), in the Church of (name), on the date of (date)

(Signatures of the one making vows and the one receiving them).

Do Jesuits have a formal habit?

Jesuits do not have an official habit. In the Constitutions of the Society, it gives these instructions concerning clothing; “The clothing too should have three characteristics: first, it should be proper; second, conformed to the usage of the country of residence; and third, not contradictory to the poverty we profess…” (Const. 577)

Historically, a “Jesuit-style cassock” became standard issue: it wrapped around the body and was tied with a cincture, rather than the customary buttoned front, a tuftless biretta (only diocesan clergy wore tufts), and a simple cape. As such, though Jesuit garb appeared distinctive, and became identifiable over time, it was the common priestly dress of Ignatius’ day. During the missionary periods of the Continental Americas, the various American Indian tribes referred to Jesuits as “Blackrobes” because of their black cassocks. Today, most Jesuits wear the Roman collar tab shirts in non-liturgical, ministerial settings.

What is the IHS?
    IHS is derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus, iota-eta-sigma. IHS is also featured in the Jesuit crest.

What is AMDG?

AMDG is the abbreviation of the Latin phrase: “Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.” In English this translates to “For the greater glory of God.”

Does the Society of Jesus have a women religious order or lay third order?
    The Jesuits do not have a female religious component in the Society. However, there are a number of congregations of women religious that have modeled themselves on Ignatian Spirituality, such as the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, etc.

General Congregation 34 launched a small scale project into a third order type relationship, but at General Congregation 35, the project ended (See GC35 Decree 6, Paragraph 58). The Jesuits do have many lay partners that are integral in numerous Jesuits works such as Apostleship of Prayer, Christian Life Communities, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Ignatian Volunteer Corps, among others.

http://www.jesuit.org/about/faqs/
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

The Jesuit vows -- this is what it's all about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTj0nnnTtw
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Katweezel, have you thought about becoming a Jesuit? Read this

Name:  becomingajesuit.gif
Views: 635
Size:  10.1 KBWe believe that our life as Jesuits is such an extraordinary life, we want to share with you as much as we can, so that you might consider this life, as a possibility.

Why is it an extraordinary life?

There are many wonderful ways for Christians to fulfil their baptismal promises to be one with Jesus, in a life for others.

Our life isn't always considered as a real possibility. We are proud to tell you, it is an extraordinary life, we love it, and we invite you to consider it for your life.

We are called together in community to be men on a mission. Our formation tests us and prepares us for our life of service with a spirituality rooted in Jesus.

Trying to respond to the call to place ourselves with Jesus as his companions, in his mission from God, we are called to a heroic life. But there is tremendous joy and fulfillment in giving ourselves to such a mission.

It is a worthwhile life because what is at stake is so big. We commit ourselves to help Jesus in God's salvation of the world. We want people to know the Good News. We commit ourselves to cultural and interreligious dialogue because we want to be where God's grace is most active today. And we place ourselves with the poor, who keep giving passion and urgency to our mission. We know that helping people come to know God will also call them to work for justice.

And, our experience of how God works within us as a community of companions, calls us to collaborative partnerships in all we do. In all our ministries, we work side by side with other gifted women and men - calling forth each other's gifts for mission.

We are so committed to service that we take liberating vows, to more completely free us for service.

We take a vow of Poverty because we want to be free from the pull of consumerism, and from any possibility of building our identity around what we have. We have everything we need for mission, but nothing we have is ours.

We take a vow of Chastity because we want to be free to give our time, our energy, our affection to those we serve. And, we want to be free to go anywhere, and do anything, as we are needed.

We take a vow of Obedience because we want to be free from an individual career, to make a difference in a mission so much bigger than anything we could ever do alone.

It is a wonderful life. We have come to know that Jesus was right when he told us that we would really find our life by losing it.

If any part of this invitation is attractive, inspiring, or even stirs some deeper questions in you, please follow those movements of the Spirit within you. Check out the links to the right, and give God's grace an opening in your heart.

- Andy Alexander, S.J.

http://onlineministries.creighton.ed...ngajesuit.html
    Last edited by aslan; May 5th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Um, I think this Loyola stuff is way out of my er, interest. But if you're looking to recruit, I'd srsly suggest Herr Zengrifter. As I understand it, he is sorely in need of spiritual assistance at the moment. A Jesuit life-changing career could be right up his ... alley.
    Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Did you make that up by yourself?
    Nope. See it for yourself: The Library of Congress; card # 66 - 43354. But wait; better not. It may turn out to be 100% truthful, and then what?

Our Father General, as we all know, governs ROME itself and the Popedom; we make WAR at OUR Pleasure betwixt one Prince and another, between a Prince and his subjects, USURP dominion over cities and countries, fearing NO discovery of OUR actions; since our commerce is chiefly with Great men, we know every public secret, and can in a singular way DISPATCH (Kill) heretics (protestants) and enemies of the ROMAN COURT!!!
    F. Doza 1667
    Spanish Jesuit 1667
    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread