+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: America, Land of the... Incarcerated!

  1. #1

    Default America, Land of the... Incarcerated!

    Number of US Inmates Rises Two Percent

    By Elizabeth White
    The Associated Press

    Monday 22 May 2006

    Washington - Prisons and jails added more than 1,000 inmates each week for a year, putting almost 2.2 million people, or one in every 136 US residents, behind bars by last summer.

    The total on June 30, 2005, was 56,428 more than at the same time in 2004, the government reported Sunday. That 2.6 percent increase from mid-2004 to mid-2005 translates into a weekly rise of 1,085 inmates.

    Of particular note was the gain of 33,539 inmates in jails, the largest increase since 1997, researcher Allen J. Beck said. That was a 4.7 percent growth rate, compared with a 1.6 percent increase in people held in state and federal prisons.

    Prisons accounted for about two-thirds of all inmates, or 1.4 million, while the other third, nearly 750,000, were in local jails, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

    Beck, the bureau's chief of corrections statistics, said the increase in the number of people in the 3,365 local jails is due partly to their changing role. Jails often hold inmates for state or federal systems, as well as people who have yet to begin serving a sentence.

    "The jail population is increasingly unconvicted," Beck said. "Judges are perhaps more reluctant to release people pretrial."

    The report by the Justice Department agency found that 62 percent of people in jails have not been convicted, meaning many of them are awaiting trial.

    Overall, 738 people were locked up for every 100,000 residents, compared with a rate of 725 at mid-2004. The states with the highest rates were Louisiana and Georgia, with more than 1 percent of their populations in prison or jail. Rounding out the top five were Texas, Mississippi and Oklahoma.

    The states with the lowest rates were Maine, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire.

    Men were 10 times to 11 times more likely than women to be in prison or jail, but the number of women behind bars was growing at a faster rate, said Paige M. Harrison, the report's other author.

    The racial makeup of inmates changed little in recent years, Beck said. In the 25-29 age group, an estimated 11.9 percent of black men were in prison or jails, compared with 3.9 percent of Hispanic males and 1.7 percent of white males.

    Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project, which supports alternatives to prison, said the incarceration rates for blacks were troubling.

    "It's not a sign of a healthy community when we've come to use incarceration at such rates," he said.

    Mauer also criticized sentencing guidelines, which he said remove judges' discretion, and said arrests for drug and parole violations swell prisons.

    "If we want to see the prison population reduced, we need a much more comprehensive approach to sentencing and drug policy," he said.

  2. #2

    Default Most US States Higher Incarceration Rates Than "Oppressive" Iran

    36 states incarcerate people at higher rate than this 'oppressive' Islamic state.

    Hmmm! New Data Shows Louisiana Incarcerates Citizens at Five Times the Rate of Iran
    No one does mass incarceration better than the good ole U.S. of A., and some states, Louisiana especially, incarcerate people like there is no tomorrow. A recent chart put together by the Prison Policy Initiative illustrates the numbers in stark terms, comparing individual states with whole countries. Louisiana is followed by Mississippi, Georgia, Texas, and Arizona. Thirty-seven states incarcerate people at a higher per capita rate than Cuba, the first country after the U.S. on the list. Even liberal bastion Massachusetts incarcerates more people per capita than that oppressive Islamic republic of Iran.

    Apart from illustrating states with the highest, and absurdest mass incarceration rates, a trend that has been rising since the '70s, the chart shows the U.S. incarcerates people at 5 times the rate of other countries. So, we win that race to nowhere handily. The U.S. incarcerates 716 people for every 100,000 residents.

    As Prison Policy Initiative points out, the rates of incarceration have nothing to do with crime rates. "Our level of crime is comparable to those of other stable, internally secure, industrialized nations, the United States has an incarceration rate far higher than any other country," the group's recent report shows. "Nearly all of the countries with relatively high incarceration rates share the experience of recent large-scale internal conflict. But the United States, which has enjoyed a long history of political stability and hasn’t had a civil war in nearly a century and a half, tops the list."

    Last edited by DDutton; July 5th, 2014 at 03:32 PM.
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,586

    Default

    Must be one hellova lotta bad peeple in Louisiana...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Must be one hellova lotta bad peeple in Louisiana...
    And the US in general. The only other plausible answer is that high-incarceration in US is an industrial scam.*

    *ie, private prison corporations
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  5. #5

    Default

    Slave labor. I'm not sure how you feel about it... but I don't think the prisoners should be given the option to work or forced to work while they are serving time. It's a bad idea in my book. Now investors get to dump employees pensions into these businesses and I don't like the idea of that either.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,586

    Default

    Since you posted that, most 2006 prisoners have been released. That means all US prisons are now empty. Am I right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Must be one hellova lotta bad peeple in Louisiana...
    If "bad" means "black", you are correct. Louisiana, at 32.5% in 2000, has the second highest percentage of blacks of the 50 U.S. states.

    "There Are More Blacks Under Correctional Control Today Than In 1850 Slaveholding America … More Are In Jail Than In Apartheid South Africa … And More Are Disenfranchised Than The Year The Constitutional Amendment Giving Blacks the Right To Vote Was Ratified

    "Blacks Possess Drugs Less Frequently Than Whites, But Are Put In Prison Much More Frequently – And For Much Longer – Than Whites

    "The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world … higher than Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, North Korea or Iran.

    "While the United States represents about 5 percent of the world’s population, it houses around 25 percent of the world’s prisoners.

    "But all people aren’t treated equally .. African-Americans are treated especially poorly.

    "Michelle Alexander – a law school professor who directed Stanford Law School’s Civil Rights Clinic and served as law clerk for Justice Harry Blackmun at the U. S. Supreme Court – notes:

    " The United States incarcerates a higher percentage of black men than South Africa did at the height of apartheid

    " Primarily because of these significant incarceration rates, the level of black youth poverty is higher today than it was in 1968

    " An African-American male is sentenced an average of a 20 to 50 times longer prison term then a white male convicted of the same drug crime.

    " Over 2.3 million men in America are in prison -- about half for drug crimes. Seventy percent of all men imprisoned are black or Hispanic. Thirty years ago, before the 'War on Drugs' was implemented, there were only 300,000 people in the American prison system.

    " There are 2.7 million children whose fathers or mothers are in prison, on probation, or on parole.

    " There are 7 million Americans either in prison, on probation, or on parole — mostly for selling or using drugs. In many inner cities, eighty percent of young men have prison records. These convictions will remain on their records permanently, limiting their voting rights and their ability to find employment. Currently, in all but two states, citizens with felony convictions are permanently or temporarily prohibited from voting. The United States is the only country that permits permanent disenfranchisement of felons even after completion of their sentences.

    "Indeed:

    " - Since 1971, there have been more than 40 million arrests for drug-related offenses.

    " - Even though blacks and whites have similar levels of drug use, blacks are ten times as likely to be incarcerated for drug crimes.

    " - 'There are more blacks under correctional control today — in prison or jail, on probation or parole — than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began.'

    " - 'As of 2004, more African American men were disenfranchised (due to felon disenfranchisement laws) than in 1870, the year the Fifteenth Amendment was ratified prohibiting laws that explicitly deny the right to vote on the basis of race.'"

    Read more and view the charts at: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/...aw-blacks.html
    Last edited by Dodo; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    And the US in general. The only other plausible answer is that high-incarceration in US is an industrial scam.*

    *ie, private prison corporations
    They ran a 1 hour special on CNBC about it awhile back. Outsource and give jobs to the prisoners so that there are none for the outside economy. Makes a lot of sense huh? They use the prisoners as a slave labor force. You'd be surprised how many people I have asked the question, "Should prisoners be allowed to work for money while in prison?" A lot of them say yes they should be able to work and they like that idea. I say NO. Give them nothing. People in prisons don't deserve to take someone's job on the outside because these LLC's are to damn cheap to hire a free person. All in an effort to save a lousy buck that isn't worth the paper it's been printed on.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:21 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
    If "bad" means "black", you are correct. Louisiana, at 32.5% in 2000, has the second highest percentage of blacks of the 50 U.S. states.

    "There Are More Blacks Under Correctional Control Today Than In 1850 Slaveholding America … More Are In Jail Than In Apartheid South Africa … And More Are Disenfranchised Than The Year The Constitutional Amendment Giving Blacks the Right To Vote Was Ratified

    "Blacks Possess Drugs Less Frequently Than Whites, But Are Put In Prison Much More Frequently – And For Much Longer – Than Whites

    "The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world … higher than Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, North Korea or Iran.

    "While the United States represents about 5 percent of the world’s population, it houses around 25 percent of the world’s prisoners.

    "But all people aren’t treated equally .. African-Americans are treated especially poorly.

    "Michelle Alexander – a law school professor who directed Stanford Law School’s Civil Rights Clinic and served as law clerk for Justice Harry Blackmun at the U. S. Supreme Court – notes:

    " The United States incarcerates a higher percentage of black men than South Africa did at the height of apartheid

    " Primarily because of these significant incarceration rates, the level of black youth poverty is higher today than it was in 1968

    " An African-American male is sentenced an average of a 20 to 50 times longer prison term then a white male convicted of the same drug crime.

    " Over 2.3 million men in America are in prison -- about half for drug crimes. Seventy percent of all men imprisoned are black or Hispanic. Thirty years ago, before the 'War on Drugs' was implemented, there were only 300,000 people in the American prison system.

    " There are 2.7 million children whose fathers or mothers are in prison, on probation, or on parole.

    " There are 7 million Americans either in prison, on probation, or on parole — mostly for selling or using drugs. In many inner cities, eighty percent of young men have prison records. These convictions will remain on their records permanently, limiting their voting rights and their ability to find employment. Currently, in all but two states, citizens with felony convictions are permanently or temporarily prohibited from voting. The United States is the only country that permits permanent disenfranchisement of felons even after completion of their sentences.

    "Indeed:

    " - Since 1971, there have been more than 40 million arrests for drug-related offenses.

    " - Even though blacks and whites have similar levels of drug use, blacks are ten times as likely to be incarcerated for drug crimes.

    " - 'There are more blacks under correctional control today — in prison or jail, on probation or parole — than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began.'

    " - 'As of 2004, more African American men were disenfranchised (due to felon disenfranchisement laws) than in 1870, the year the Fifteenth Amendment was ratified prohibiting laws that explicitly deny the right to vote on the basis of race.'"

    Read more and view the charts at: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/...aw-blacks.html
    Why do you think it is like this way for them Dodo, have you determined a root cause to the problem involving black America and incarceration? My answers would be 1. Drugs. 2. Destruction of the family unit, only 1 parent households. 3. The gangsta rap Hollywood culture has disenfranchised many black youths. 4. Lack of education. Caucasians get arrested more than blacks because there are more of them in the U.S.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:42 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Women kill more than men in the U.S.

    Startling article that I seen on infowars today. It looks like the ladies have the guys beat buy an overwhelming margin. Planned Parenthood. It's hard to fathom that women are some of the biggest killers in society today. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...-blacks-murder

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    They ran a 1 hour special on CNBC about it awhile back. Outsource and give jobs to the prisoners so that there are none for the outside economy. Makes a lot of sense huh? They use the prisoners as a slave labor force. You'd be surprised how many people I have asked the question, "Should prisoners be allowed to work for money while in prison?" A lot of them say yes they should be able to work and they like that idea. I say NO. Give them nothing. People in prisons don't deserve to take someone's job on the outside because these LLC's are to damn cheap to hire a free person. All in an effort to save a lousy buck that isn't worth the paper it's been printed on.
    can't disagree with your point, i also suspect that these huge numerous prison/jail complex s are merely excuses for jobs, in other words jobs (such as guards, wardens, social workers, prison builders, ect.) that wouldn't be there if it weren't for the fact that our country has such a high incarceration rate. same deal pretty much as the 'war on drugs' thang and the immigration/border thang, far as i see it.
    and why the disproportionate numbers of blacks locked up? same reason as slavery to begin with sorta thing. it's a sick sick world in many respects, sad to say, me thinks.
    Last edited by sagefr0g; January 23rd, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
    best regards,
    mr fr0g MMOA honorary predator
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART
    that's my take on it your mileage may vary.
    for senior citizen fuzzy count click link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTiP4ZIUfI

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sagefr0g View Post
    can't disagree with your point, i also suspect that these huge numerous prison/jail complex s are merely excuses for jobs, in other words jobs (such as guards, wardens, social workers, prison builders, ect.) that wouldn't be there if it weren't for the fact that our country has such a high incarceration rate. same deal pretty much as the 'war on drugs' thang and the immigration/border thang, far as i see it.
    and why the disproportionate numbers of blacks locked up? same reason as slavery to begin with sorta thing. it's a sick sick world in many respects, sad to say, me thinks.
    These prisons represent a slave labor force ready to be abused by corporations. The only benefactor I see is the corporation because the prisoners don't give a shit. Their just floating their time and it gives them something to do while in prison. It's an industry within an industry that has it's own economy and the people at the bottom get screwed. Regardless of ethnicity a person who ends up going to prison got sent there for a reason. But I would have to agree that the war on drugs has landed a lot of people in jail/prison. People know the rules. That's why I am delighted that Colorado and Washington state have taken steps to minimize this.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,586

    Default

    " There are 7 million Americans either in prison, on probation, or on parole — mostly for selling or using drugs. In many inner cities, eighty percent of young men have prison records. These convictions will remain on their records permanently, limiting their voting rights and their ability to find employment. Currently, in all but two states, citizens with felony convictions are permanently or temporarily prohibited from voting. The United States is the only country that permits permanent disenfranchisement of felons even after completion of their sentences."

    This sounds like a good reason to riot, loot and burn. Whitey owns all the jobs and we can't get one! And we ain't joinin no muthafuckin Whitey military...

  14. #14

    Default

    Here goes some humor. As if a vote in an American Presidential election counted anyways. The game is rigged. People have the illusion of a vote. What's that illusion thingy? The essence of an advantage is an illusion. It must be nice having a built in advantage.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    They ran a 1 hour special on CNBC about it awhile back. Outsource and give jobs to the prisoners so that there are none for the outside economy. Makes a lot of sense huh? They use the prisoners as a slave labor force.
    One of the biggest equity stakes in private prison industries is the ... Bush family cabal.*

    * Wackenhut, Prison Corp of America, etc .

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. American Indian land sold off by IRS to pay taxes
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM
  2. Did We Really Land on the Moon? -VIDEO
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2015, 11:31 AM
  3. Welcome to SHEEPLE-LAND!
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: December 18th, 2014, 06:38 AM
  4. This land was made for you and me.
    By Brutus in forum Entertainment and Pop Culture
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
  5. Big America
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts