+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Giordano Bruno - Burnt for Heresy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Giordano Bruno - Burnt for Heresy

    Giordano Bruno - Burnt for Heresy

    Author:
    Lee Holmes
    Giordano Bruno - (1548-1600)

    was born at Nola, near Naples in 1548.

    An Italian representative of the late Renaissance thought; his teachings and writings, encompassing philosophy, cosmology, theology, mathematics and creative literature, constantly brought him into collision with orthodox opinion and led him to a heretic's death.

    On becoming a Dominican friar he assumed the name Giordano. In the convent he began to develop theological doubts and to profess the necessity of Christian liberty, which led to trouble with the monastic authorities. He had read two forbidden books by Erasmus and freely discussed the theory which denied the divinity of Jesus.

    A trial of heresy was prepared against him so in 1576 Giordano fled to Rome. There he was involved in a murder case and had to flee again, first to Liguria and then to Venice.

    In 1579 he adhered to Calvinism but after publishing a broadsheet against a Calvinist professor he was imprisoned. On his retracting he was freed and went to Toulouse, where he was granted the degree of Master of Arts.

    In 1583 he moved to London giving lectures on the Copernican theory of the movement of the earth but the reception he received was hostile. He moved back to France but continued on to Germany when he found the religious position had changed.

    He was to return to Italy when offered the Chair of Mathematics at Padua by the Venetian patrician, Giovanni Mocenigo.

    In autumn of 1592 Mocenigo denounced him to the inquisition for his heretical theories. Arrested he was transferred to Rome in 1593 where he remained imprisoned for seven years.

    Bruno argued that his ideas were not theological but philosophical. The Church did not accept this. He was twice given 40 days to recant. After a long trial Pope Clement VIII ordered Bruno to be sentenced as an impenitent and pertinacious heretic.

    He was burned at the stake on 17th February 1600.

    The importance of Giordano Bruno's books was acknowledged by being placed on the forbidden list on August 7, 1603!

    Quotes


    "This entire globe, this star, not being subject to death, and dissolution and annihilation being impossible anywhere in Nature, from time to time renews itself by changing and altering all its parts. There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the position of a body is relative to that of other bodies. Everywhere there is incessant relative change in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the centre of things."
    from his book "De la Causa, principio et uno" ("On Cause, Principle, and Unity")

    "It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."

    "Who so itcheth to Philosophy must set to work by putting all things to the doubt."



    Bibliography Encyclopaedia Britannica
    Giordano Bruno by D.G. Ellis (April 1977)
    Giordano Bruno by Keith S Cornish (September 2000)

    Source: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...o-burnt-heresy
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Katweezel; July 31st, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Dogma schmogma

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default

    )
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dogma schmogma

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.S. Enterpise
    Posts
    560

    Default

    This is mainly why everything else hates the Catholics.

    There is no mentally sane scientist who doesn't hate them.

    The Catholics burned GB because unabe to understand the two words: "RATIONALITY & CONSCIOUSNESS".

    P.S. I need another beer...
    When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth...

  4. #4

    Red face Giordano Bruno: Forgotten Genius & Hermetic Martyr

    Last edited by zengrifter; June 12th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

  5. #5

    Red face Giordano Bruno - The Philosopher/Heretic to the Church

    Giordano Bruno - The Philosopher/Heretic to the Church

    Last edited by zengrifter; January 29th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  7. #7

    Default

    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkham Knight View Post
    This is mainly why everything else hates the Catholics.

    There is no mentally sane scientist who doesn't hate them.

    The Catholics burned GB because unabe to understand the two words: "RATIONALITY & CONSCIOUSNESS".

    P.S. I need another beer...
    What is irrational in what you say is that all this transpired in the 17th century. Times have changed, the Church and society in general have matured, and no longer see the world the way they once did. It is not even rational to say that no sane scientist would not hate the Church. The Church of today respects the scientist and the field of science in general. There are many scientists in the world who are Catholic. Such statements are pure bigotry.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Katweezel--

    Tired, tired, tired--

    Can't you find something against the Roman Catholic Church in the 21st century?

    Likely the events you talk about that occurred centuries ago, were participated in by your forebears who were Church officials or somehow working for the Church. You never know. You may be related to one of those bad Popes who had mistresses. It may be that something in your genes is compelling you to continually return to yesteryear instead of living in the present day.

    Any Borgias in your family tree? You probably wouldn't know even if there was. All that secrecy and stuff.

    You may be the last surviving remnant of those evil days. Ironic that you conduct your own self-styled Inquisition, an Inquisition of the Catholic Church itself. Yup, I'm sure of it. It's in your genes! Katweeel, great, great, great grandson of Theophylactus of Tusculum who became Pope Benedict IX. I would not be surprised. hehehehe
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Katweezel--

    Tired, tired, tired--

    Can't you find something against the Roman Catholic Church in the 21st century?
    Ya, and don't come back until you do. And don't post it in this thread if you do because THIS is Bruno's thread!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    Ya, and don't come back until you do. And don't post it in this thread if you do because THIS is Bruno's thread!
    Oh yeah, I have PLENTY to say against the modern Catholic institution... for another thread. Meantime, Bruno is one of my many heroes. When you read some of his beliefs, turns out he was right in much of his science ideas and those old geezer fools in the Vatican were - as usual - wrong. Bruno was a giant of a man, among an army of midgets who ran his church. They murdered him because his ideas conflicted with theirs. Bruno, you have plenty of friends in heaven.
    Here is that amazing painting again, and the story with it.

    ANDRÉ DURAND Twenty-First Century Paintings GIORDANO BRUNO BURNING2000 Dimensions: 203.2 x167.6 Oil on linenprofane

    At the invitation of a Venetian nobleman, Giovanni Moncenigo, Bruno returned to Italy as his private tutor. In 1592 Moncenigo denounced Bruno to the Inquisition, which tried him for heresy. Turned over to the Roman authorities, he was imprisoned for some eight years while questioning proceeded on charges of blasphemy, immoral conduct, and heresy. Refusing to recant, Bruno was burned at the stake in Campo dei Fiori on February 17, 1600. Late in the 19th century, a statue was erected on the site of his martyrdom to the cause of free thought.Bruno advocated philosophical theories that blended mystical Neoplatonism and pantheism.

    He believed that the universe is infinite, that God is the universal world-soul, and that all particular material things are manifestations of the one infinite principle. Bruno is considered a forerunner of modern philosophy because of his influence on the Dutch philosopher Baruch Spinoza and his anticipation of the theories of monism, later advocated by the German philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.“Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve around these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds.”Giordano Bruno, Italian monk of the sixteenth century. Contributed by: Desmond J. Fitzgerald

    The following report from the Fraternity of St. John the Beheaded is the only documentary account of Bruno’s martyrdom on 17 February 1600 to be considered authentic by the Catholic church. It was published in 1889:. . . But he insisted till the end always in his damned refractoriness and twisted brain and his mind with a thousand errors; yes, he didn’t give up his stubborness, not even when the court ushers took him away to the Campo de’ Fiori. There his clothes were taken off, he was bound to a stake and burned alive [e quivi spogliato nudo e legato a un palo fu brusciato vivo].

    In all this time he was accompanied by our fraternity, who sang constant litanies, while the comforters tried till the last moment to break his stubborn resistance, till he gave up a miserable and pitiable life.This is Durand’s only picture of an historical event. Giordano Bruno’s martyrdom in all its harrowing detail is depicted in the Campo de’ Fiori, Rome of today. GIORDANO BRUNO BURNING demonstrates a criterion of Neomodernism:A Neomodernist treatment of political or historical subject matter is detached and philosophical, never propaganda.Exhibition:http://www.durand-gallery.com/giordanobruno.htmlThe picture is on temporary loan to New Acropolis, London. www.newacropolisuk.org

    Name:  aa bruno1.jpg
Views: 4494
Size:  75.5 KB
    Last edited by Katweezel; June 13th, 2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Salute Bruno's defiant courage & strength against overwhelming odds
    Dogma schmogma

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Bruno, you have plenty of friends in heaven.
    OMG! Katweesel just confirmed, good people go to heaven!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    OMG! Katweesel just confirmed, good people go to heaven!
    Dr Dutton, this is the umpteenth unfunny time you have deliberately misspelled my name. If it happens again, you will be reported to Dr zengrifter who will invoke ... certain ... measures... Capeche? From now on, you may call me Kat.

    Name:  1dc7bfc7d3a1dae07b0a03669dc7e0c4.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  6.7 KB

    Back to the brilliant painting. My interpretation: I see the shrouded monk figure in the right background representing his silent, present, useless order. The severed head is Jesus, as the church, by killing Bruno has cut off its own head, while waving a holy Jesus crucifix. The head holder is a witchdoctor using using sorcery and witchcraft which is the practice of the Roman Church of that time. I see satan's eyes middle left.
    Last edited by Katweezel; June 13th, 2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: What's your interpretation?
    Dogma schmogma

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    Ahead of his time: The last (officially) heretic to be roasted by the Church --


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default

    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Descartes was 'poisoned by Catholic priest for heresy'
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts