+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How A Son's Betrayal Brought Down Chicago's #Mob

Default How A Son's Betrayal Brought Down Chicago's #Mob

How A Son's Betrayal Brought Down Chicago's Mob

NPR / March 14, 2011

When Frank Calabrese Jr. was a teenager, his father came home one night and took him into the bathroom for a chat.

"He used to like to talk in the bathroom with the fan going and the water running in case there was any kind of bugs in the house," says Frank Jr. "I could just see his adrenaline going. And he was telling me that they killed somebody, and the reason they did it was because the guy was dealing drugs and he was disobeying his boss. He's telling me this and I'm thinking, 'Is this what other kids hear when they come home and their father comes home from work?' "

But Frank Calabrese Sr. was no ordinary father. He was one of the central figures in the Chicago mafia, responsible for a series of loansharking and illegal gambling operations. He was also suspected of murdering several people ó but the FBI didn't have the evidence to pin those crimes on him.

In 1997, Frank Sr. was sent to prison along with his brother Nick and Frank Jr. on a series of racketeering charges. The feds had enough evidence to keep him in jail for 118 months ó meaning Frank Sr. would have been a free man when he turned 70.

But then Frank Jr. wrote a letter to the FBI, offering to help bring down his father's murderous Chicago crime family.

"[I wrote that] I didn't want immunity. I didn't want any kind of deal. I didn't want to lose any time, but I want[ed] to help [the government] keep my father locked up."

The reasoning, says Frank Jr., was that his father was dangerous and should never be a free man. He agreed to wear a wire while talking to his father in the prison yard about the Calabrese family's alleged crimes.

MORE- http://www.npr.org/2011/03/14/134425...ob?sc=fb&cc=fp

Frank Jr... What guts and ballz.
    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread