View Poll Results: Should discussion of PSI be tolerated [by smart gamblers]?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, scientific studies increasingly are proving strange powers of mind, this IS a valid subject.

23 79.31%
  • No, PSI is all ignorance & superstition and does NOT belong in intelligent gaming discussion

6 20.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Poll that Started It: Should PSI be Allowed?

Default Let's do psi gambling discussion here.

I was looking forward to the "psi" discussion in the voodoo section at bjinfo but it apparently was not meant to be. I myself enjoy education on any subject and have always been interested in "psi". Several things have happened to me in my life and continue to happen that make me wonder if my brain is capable of more. My most successful years in blackjack were before I knew things like BJinfo existed. I sometimes wonder if being too technical about my game has actually hurt my success. CP and I discussed things like the "zone" in 09 and to me that would be considered a form of "psi". Knowing what to do at points no matter what the count told you. I suspect there are several good players that could be guilty of what would be considered a sin by the masses on BJinfo. I think this is a subject worthy of discussion and if it's not wanted at BJinfo then let's do it here....JtMM
    Last edited by zengrifter; January 21st, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    I was looking forward to the "psi" discussion in the voodoo section at bjinfo but it apparently was not meant to be. I myself enjoy education on any subject and have always been interested in "psi". Several things have happened to me in my life and continue to happen that make me wonder if my brain is capable of more. My most successful years in blackjack were before I knew things like BJinfo existed. I sometimes wonder if being too technical about my game has actually hurt my success. CP and I discussed things like the "zone" in 09 and to me that would be considered a form of "psi". Knowing what to do at points no matter what the count told you. I suspect there are several good players that could be guilty of what would be considered a sin by the masses on BJinfo. I think this is a subject worthy of discussion and if it's not wanted at BJinfo then let's do it here....JtMM
    How can you call yourself Mathman and lobby for Voodoo? Have you no self-respect? zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    How can you call yourself Mathman and lobby for Voodoo? Have you no self-respect? zg
    LOL I know but my screen name actually comes from a nickname I had in college (a long freakin' time ago). I used to tudor during the evenings. I had a professor that used to throw my tests on my desk and comment he doesn't know why he makes a key to grade the tests by, he should just use my tests. I was nicknamed mathman by him and the kids I used to tudor. The other students were much younger than myself and there was a program on TV with a character named "the mathman" that those kids had grown up on.

Thanks for fixing the title, I keep making that mistake. As for the self respect....All I can say is "all facts and no imagination makes JtMM a dull boy"....JtMM

I was looking forward to the "psi" discussion in the voodoo section at bjinfo but it apparently was not meant to be. I myself enjoy education on any subject and have always been interested in "psi". Several things have happened to me in my life and continue to happen that make me wonder if my brain is capable of more.

CP and I discussed things like the "zone" in 09 and to me that would be considered a form of "psi". Knowing what to do at points no matter what the count told you. I suspect there are several good players that could be guilty of what would be considered a sin by the masses on BJinfo. I think this is a subject worthy of discussion and if it's not wanted at BJinfo then let's do it here....JtMM
    Be careful what you wish for. zg
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Nice move, MM. Now, as I was saying before The Cult jackbooted discussion on this subject, I heard a physicist speaking on how many of his speciality now agree that the universe is one vast energy field, where everything in it - animate or inanimate - is ... Energy. So if this is true, that means roulette balls are more than just roulette balls; dice are more than just dice; and cards are more than just cards.

It seems mind moves energy. That would suggest that a (powerful) mind may be able to find a way to move the energy of balls, dice and cards.

Not so long back, a dude Down Under had some publicity because he won +#600K by picking the Big 6; which is (for $1 a try) you try to pick the winners of the final 6 thoroughbred races on the card. (Fields averaged around 14 horses.) He claimed he dreamed the 6 winning numbers, and he had quite an impressive style and story to back it up.

Lotto authorities' archives abound with stories of people who 'dreamed' the winning numbers. (There's even a story of a woman who dreamed the winning numbers, but decided to change 3 of them, after she told her friend.... Hard luck story...)

My point here is that if indeed there is only Energy in this Universe, and Mind can move Energy, then that makes practically anything possible... doesn't it? Voodoo got a bad name, for obvious reasons. But Mind Power moving Energy is another thing.
    Dogma schmogma

Default The Poll that Started It: Should PSI be Allowed?

Should PSI effects on Gambling Success or Failure be allowed as a valid discussion topic? The poll was taken recently at www.blackjackinfo.com where the above vote results were gleaned. Although BJINFO declined the open discussion, the subject was recognized even by adamant naysayers as being valid for the Zzone Forums.

The poll remains open for an indefinite period here. zg
    Last edited by zengrifter; January 24th, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

The issue being how PSI might relate to gambling.

The pioneer of modern scientific research into applied gambling PSI was Duke University's JB Rhine circa 1927-50:

From The Roots of Consciousness -
    In 1934, several months prior to publishing his famous paper on Extra-Sensory Perception, Dr. J. B. Rhine received a visit from a young gambler. After comparing notes on conditions for success in psychic testing, he remarked that similar conditions seemed to favor his luck in gambling. Furthermore, he claimed that he himself was sometimes able to exercise a mind over matter effect on dice-throwing games. While belief in such an influence on dice was both common and ancient, until then it had not been deemed a serious problem for scientific study. Rhine discovered that preliminary experimentation would be quick, easy, and inexpensive. The results proved encouraging enough to warrant further research.

By the end of 1941, a total of 651,216 experimental die throws had been conducted. The combined results of these experiments pointed to a phenomenon with 10,115 to 1 odds against chance occurrence.

Rhine went over the records of earlier experiments so conducted that an analysis of position effects could be made, similar to the decline of high ESP scoring toward the end of experimental sessions, detected a few months earlier. If the above chance results had been caused by probability, artifacts, or illegitimate means, one would expect the distribution of hits would be consistent throughout the experiment and would not decline.

The results of this survey indicated there were more hits near the beginning of each run of 24 die throws. The odds against such distribution occurring by chance were about a hundred million to one. This evidence of a presumably psychological effect, similar to that noted with ESP, made a case for psychokinesis strong enough to warrant publication. The first of the papers appeared in the Journal of Parapsychology in 1943. Many others followed.

In 1946 a study was published that pitted the psychokinetic skills of veteran gamblers against those of divinity students. In this contest atmosphere, both groups scored well above chance expectations.

Has anyone seen this book it looks intresting. You can take a look inside it for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychic-Gambli...152307&sr=1-11#_

Quote Originally Posted by Inplay007 View Post
    Has anyone seen this book it looks intresting. You can take a look inside it for free.
    http://www.amazon.com/Psychic-Gambli...152307&sr=1-11#_
    See: http://www.zenzoneforum.com/threads/...ng-Supersystem

Quote Originally Posted by DDutton View Post
    Sorry about that. I missed that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Inplay007 View Post
    Sorry about that. I missed that post.
    The remaking of InPlay007 is now complete. This apology (above) has been entered in the BJ Hall of Fame. Can you tell us how you did it? Was it the harsh Siberian climate? Was it something Ken or Sonny said, or didn't say? I am more than impressed Bro 007. You are now welcome Down Under. Just leave home your guns and your licence to kill.
    Dogma schmogma

I used to tudor during the evenings.
    Obviously, you were not an English major. Excuse my late reply; my computer is very slow. I believe it has the Tarde Per Annuum virus.

And, no, I wasn't a Latin major. Name:  monk_reading.gif
Views: 223
Size:  12.6 KB
    Last edited by aslan; April 24th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Default re

Gambling is a bad habit we all should stop gambling. Thanks...!

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan2340 View Post
    You are gambling if you think we'll let you post a link here. zg

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan2340 View Post
    You wanna bet?
    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread