+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bill Hicks: a one-man stand-up revolution

Default Bill Hicks: a one-man stand-up revolution

Bill Hicks: the man who said the unsayable

Bill Hicks took stand-up comedy to new heights – and depths – but died at just 32, on the brink of global fame. A hard-edged new biopic reveals and intense and dark young comic.

By Andy Fyfe
    Published: 3:26PM BST 12 May 2010
    Telegraph.UK

In Edinburgh in the summer of 1991, I became the first British journalist to interview Bill Hicks, a man once described as “the most dangerous comedian in the world”. The legendary American stand-up was jittery about how his first audiences outside North America would react to his volatile, controversial act. I was young, and nervous about meeting him. “OK, well, this is the strangest interview I’ve ever done,” he snapped after a few minutes, bringing an abrupt end to my attempts at small talk. “Are we actually going to get to any questions?”

VIDEO: Bill Hicks' Legendary One Night Stand, 1990

Cowboy-booted, chain-smoking Hicks was the most significant American comedian of his generation, the natural successor to Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor.

He was rude, angry, uncompromising and saw within popular culture a conspiracy to dumb people down so that they could be more easily controlled. He died in 1994, at the age of 32, but still ranks high on most lists of the greatest comics of all time.

A new documentary American: The Bill Hicks Story serves as a reminder of how lucky I was to get away with a mild rebuke. In one clip taken from a live performance, he rounds on a heckler. “Once again,” he screams at the audience, “you, the pee’d on masses, ruin anything anyone tries to do because you can’t do it on your own.”

Hicks’ appearance in Edinburgh that year felt like a one-man stand-up revolution, a provocation to British comics.

MORE- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...unsayable.html
    Last edited by zengrifter; June 17th, 2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: reimbed video
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default He Lives Here

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." --Bill Hicks

Link to article and videos: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/06...c-and-patriot/

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok... But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace." Bill Hicks

SOURCE: http://suspiciousdeaths.blogspot.com...ill-hicks.html

+ Reply to Thread