+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soylent Green is Here

Default Soylent Green is Here

Green (gross?) cremation method produces liquid fertilizer

New climate-friendly cremation method uses water and lye to
    transform human remains into 200 gallons of liquid fertilizer.

By Stephanie Rogers
    Mon, Dec 07 2009 at 3:20 PM EST

There are an awful lot of people on the planet, and modern methods for disposing of human remains aren’t exactly earth-friendly. A new alternative to cremation and burial could change that — and even increase food production for those still living — if we can get past the ‘ick factor’ of liquefying our dead relatives.

"Resomation" is the process of disposing of human corpses through alkaline hydrolysis, which occurs when the body is sealed inside a vault-like tube filled with water and lye and steam-heated to 300 degrees. Three hours later, some powdery bone fragments and 200 gallons of fluid are all that remains.

Essentially, Resomation — which was developed by Scottish company Resomation Ltd. — is just like the natural process of decomposition, but on fast-forward. The fluid can be safely dumped into sewer systems or even used as fertilizer on farms and gardens — a proposal that some say comes a little too close to ‘Soylent Green’ for comfort.

MORE- http://www.mnn.com/technology/resear...uid-fertilizer
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Grows the best tomatoes! zg
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Default The real yik factor come from knowing what happens to your buried or cremated body.

What harm could come to my family and friends from choosing burial, cremation, or a water & alkali disposition?

Burial
    For the final disposition of my body, I could opt to have my body buried in a cemetery. Other than my bones, my body would become unsterile liquid and leach into aquifers. Aquifers provide drinking water. Knowing my unsterile body could release upon the living disease causing microorganisms: bacterium, virus, and fungus, I consider burial no further.

Cremation
    I choose not to consume @ 3 million BTUs for the sole purpose of incinerating my remains. With cremation about 4% of my body, referred to as "ashes", would be returned to my family. What happens to the rest of my body? 96% of my deceased body would be spewed from a smokestack and dumped into my survivors' atmosphere. The intense heat would release numerous pollutants, including highly hazardous mercury vapors and other toxins. How could I in good conscience select a process that renders my body into pollution and hazardous vapors?

For more on my thoughts: www.CycledLife.com

Exactly - become fertilizer to grow great tomatoes for your grieving loved ones to eat! zg

Default hot house tomato

"Soylent Green is people!" This quote could be used to incorrectly describe most of the final disposition options. Cremation, burial, and CycledBurial all greatly reduce the likelihood that the dead will be directly consumed by their survivors. Liking alkaline hydrolysis to Soylent Green is silly.
    Having witnessed cremation, seen decomposed bodies, and watched a CycledBurial process, I am of the opinion that there is no form of final disposition that most people would not find disturbing.
    When your time is up, may he rest in peace knowing he made an informed decision about how best to dispose of his body. Hopefully, Bob will read your blog, before it is too late and 96% of his remains are spewed into our atmosphere. Though, it may seem a fitting ending for supporters of cremation to end up as hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by CycledLife View Post
    [COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]"Soylent Green is people!" This quote could be used to incorrectly describe most of the final disposition options. Cremation, burial, and CycledBurial all greatly reduce the likelihood that the dead will be directly consumed by their survivors. Liking alkaline hydrolysis to Soylent Green is silly.
    I would think that dead loved ones being consumed by their survivors is a good thing. Eat those tomatoes! zg

+ Reply to Thread