+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: real jobless numbers

Default real jobless numbers

I thought alot of people would like a little reality check with the jobless rate numbers. We all know the jobless rate is a little over 10% as of friday november 6th but it doesn't tell the true story. The numbers don't reveal the true number which is closer to 17% which is the same rate or almost the same as the great depression. That is scarey unto itself to think about. These numbers are the ones that include people that are out of work and stopped looking or part time jobs they took to survive. The big picture is alot more bleak than the goverment wants you to realize.
    " That we may meet in a better place after this!"

Default Jim

Quote Originally Posted by blackchipjim View Post
    I thought alot of people would like a little reality check with the jobless rate numbers. We all know the jobless rate is a little over 10% as of friday november 6th but it doesn't tell the true story. The numbers don't reveal the true number which is closer to 17% which is the same rate or almost the same as the great depression. That is scarey unto itself to think about. These numbers are the ones that include people that are out of work and stopped looking or part time jobs they took to survive. The big picture is alot more bleak than the goverment wants you to realize.

Thanks for the info. Just another case of how the Gov. misleads.

CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

Yeah, lets change the way we count unemployment now that there is a Democrat in the White House, although I suspect the real reason you are upset is because there is a black man there.
    To compare todays unemployment to that of the depression is the act of a fool. Unemployment, ten months into Obamas presidency is now at what it was in Reagans third year.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Default No fear here!

I don't care who is in office I was stating a simple fact. The goverment came up with the stats not me. The goverment further stated that we are coming out of the reccession which by the way is really a depression as of this past friday. This isn't over and it won't be over sometime because they are focusing on health care bills not the economy. I say they should take their heads out of the sand and concentrate on the most important issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Yeah, lets change the way we count unemployment now that there is a Democrat in the White House, although I suspect the real reason you are upset is because there is a black man there.
    To compare todays unemployment to that of the depression is the act of a fool. Unemployment, ten months into Obamas presidency is now at what it was in Reagans third year.
    ALL government stats are ALWAYS skewed. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default skewedness

I always knew the jobless rate didn't reflect the true jobless numbers. I just found it a bit unsettling that the jobless rate today is close to the rate that it was during the depression. I wasn't pointing to the present administration for the blame either just pointing out a relative fact.

I always knew the jobless rate didn't reflect the true jobless numbers. I just found it a bit unsettling that the jobless rate today is close to the rate that it was during the depression. I wasn't pointing to the present administration for the blame either just pointing out a relative fact.
    Sure, if 10% today is somehow close to the 24% of the depression, then I guess you are correct. If you want to do a fair comparison, compare U1 figures to U1 figures. You are comparing todays U6 number to the U1 number of the depression. Actually, I imagine you are not actually comparing anything, only repeating something you heard on talk radio.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Sure, if 10% today is somehow close to the 24% of the depression, then I guess you are correct. If you want to do a fair comparison, compare U1 figures to U1 figures. You are comparing todays U6 number to the U1 number of the depression. Actually, I imagine you are not actually comparing anything, only repeating something you heard on talk radio.
    What is U1 and U6? zg
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........

Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just another case of how the Gov. misleads.

CP
    Power corrupts. This is why we must do all we can do to limit the power of the Federal government. It is exactly the same with corporate organizations, be it Ford Motors or Acorn. Power corrupts. Now with the checks and balances seriously challenged due to the unholy alliance of the three branches of government, and I'd say the same thing if the Republicans were in power, the country is facing a crisis of gigantic proportions. These next four years can not go by fast enough for my liking. I think the next interim election (2010) will bring a small degree of balance, but the 2012 election should be a doosy! I hope we don't go to the opposite extreme at that time, except to the extent of correcting any overboard policies or enactments. Balance makes for good government, and small government helps keep the balance IMO.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Default Aslan

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Power corrupts. This is why we must do all we can do to limit the power of the Federal government. It is exactly the same with corporate organizations, be it Ford Motors or Acorn. Power corrupts. Now with the checks and balances seriously challenged due to the unholy alliance of the three branches of government, and I'd say the same thing if the Republicans were in power, the country is facing a crisis of gigantic proportions. These next four years can not go by fast enough for my liking. I think the next interim election (2010) will bring a small degree of balance, but the 2012 election should be a doosy! I hope we don't go to the opposite extreme at that time, except to the extent of correcting any overboard policies or enactments. Balance makes for good government, and small government helps keep the balance IMO.

Yes, I agree, totally

CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

Default facts and figs.

I know the figs are skewed but think of it this way. If the depression's unemployment was 24% with no benefits what is the 17% of all unemployment figs today? The 17% of today is the same representation of the 24% not as high but the same representation. The only difference from then to now is back then you didn't have unemployment benefits we do now. The present administration has overstated the effectivness of the stimulis bill that they enacted. Get your facts straight Obama's dems said it would hold down the rise to 8% they were wrong. The are wrong about the health care bill they are trying to shove down our throats too!

I give up. I can't tell if you are obtuse or just not very intelligent. Keep comparing apples and oranges to your hearts content.

I know the figs are skewed but think of it this way. If the depression's unemployment was 24% with no benefits what is the 17% of all unemployment figs today? The 17% of today is the same representation of the 24% not as high but the same representation. The only difference from then to now is back then you didn't have unemployment benefits we do now. The present administration has overstated the effectivness of the stimulis bill that they enacted. Get your facts straight Obama's dems said it would hold down the rise to 8% they were wrong. The are wrong about the health care bill they are trying to shove down our throats too!
    One thing I know about government, they are always chaning the measures they use for anything of political significance. How the government measured unemployment back in the 30's and how they do today may be as different as night and day. Whatever the truth, 24%, 17% and 10.2% are all dramatically high. It really serves no purpose, however, to compare today with yesteryear. For one thing, this is an entirely different kind of recession, both in cause and in many of its details. What doesn't change are economic principles. Unfortunately, from my point of view, the current administration chose the wrong economic theories to apply to the current recession. I believe a predisposition against corporate America has led this administration to forego the usual tried and true business stimuli plans (lower income taxes, lower capital gains taxes, easing of regulatory impediments to doing business, etc.). That is unfortunate, because the plan they are following has failed wherever it has been applied, the usual case cited, Japan. The hope that they'll get it right this time and in this particular application is just not the way you handle a crisis of such enormous proportions. I only hope we can last four years until a more conservative administration does those things that can stimulate the private sector, restore millions of "permanent" jobs, and create "real" wealth that does not end with the end of government spending.

Yes, he was wrong about the 8%. So who has a crystal ball. Sounds like he took a big guess based on his economic advisors' forecast, and he learned a good lesson--making predictions is not good for the image, unless you always throw a seven. What is more a problem is his unwillingness to see that his stimulus is not doing anything for creating permanent jobs. He keeps saying how much he has done to save jobs, while the nation loses millions more.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

The numbers don't reveal the true number which is closer to 17% which is the same rate or almost the same as the great depression.
    What is your source for this? zg

PS - Never mind, here it is - http://www.shadowstats.com/
    Last edited by zengrifter; November 11th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    What is your source for this? zg

PS - Never mind, here it is - http://www.shadowstats.com/

+ Reply to Thread