+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C.I.A. Is Still Cagey About Oswald Mystery

Default C.I.A. Is Still Cagey About Oswald Mystery

C.I.A. Is Still Cagey About Oswald Mystery

By SCOTT SHANE
    Published: October 16, 2009

WASHINGTON — Is the Central Intelligence Agency covering up
    some dark secret about the assassination of John F. Kennedy?

For six years, the agency has fought in federal court to keep secret hundreds of documents from 1963, when an anti-Castro Cuban group it paid clashed publicly with the soon-to-be assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald. The C.I.A. says it is only protecting legitimate secrets. But because of the agency’s history of stonewalling assassination inquiries, even researchers with no use for conspiracy thinking question its stance.

The files in question, some released under direction of the court and hundreds more that are still secret, involve the curious career of George E. Joannides, the case officer who oversaw the dissident Cubans in 1963. In 1978, the agency made Mr. Joannides the liaison to the House Select Committee on Assassinations — but never told the committee of his earlier role.

That concealment has fueled suspicion that Mr. Joannides’s real assignment was to limit what the House committee could learn about C.I.A. activities. The agency’s deception was first reported in 2001 by Jefferson Morley, who has doggedly pursued the files ever since, represented by James H. Lesar, a Washington lawyer specializing in Freedom of Information Act lawsuits.

“The C.I.A.’s conduct is maddening,” said Mr. Morley, 51, a former Washington Post reporter and the author of a 2008 biography of a former C.I.A. station chief in Mexico.

After years of meticulous reporting on Mr. Joannides, who died at age 68 in 1990, he is convinced that there is more to learn.

“I know there’s a story here,” Mr. Morley said. “The confirmation is that the C.I.A. treats these documents as extremely sensitive.”
    Mr. Morley’s quest has gained prominent supporters, including John R. Tunheim, a federal judge in Minnesota who served in 1994 and 1995 as chairman of the Assassination Records Review Board, created by Congress to unearth documents related to the case.

“I think we were probably misled by the agency,” Judge Tunheim said, referring to the Joannides records. “This material should be released.”

Gerald Posner, the author of an anti-conspiracy account of the Kennedy assassination, “Case Closed” (Random House, 1993), said the C.I.A.’s withholding such aged documents was “a perfect example of why nobody trusts the agency.”

“It feeds the conspiracy theorists who say, ‘You’re hiding something,” ’ Mr. Posner said.

After losing an appeals court decision in Mr. Morley’s lawsuit, the C.I.A. released material last year confirming Mr. Joannides’s deep involvement with the anti-Castro Cubans who confronted Oswald. But the agency is withholding 295 specific documents from the 1960s and ’70s, while refusing to confirm or deny the existence of many others, saying their release would cause “extremely grave damage” to national security.

MORE- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/17/us....html?_r=2&hpw
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default George H.W. Bush, E.Howard Hunt & Frank Sturgis

were three of the conspirators who killed JFK.

Bush is so tied to the assassination he might as well have carried a sign proclaiming he did it.

Even more recently during the Gerald Ford funeral Bush essentially went through a denial.

Other prominent figures who were involved in the murder of JFK:

Nixon: Who hired Jack Ruby in 1947. Nixon was in Dallas during the murder, denied it, then changed his story several times during the years after.

John Connally: Also wounded in the assassination but who changed his story to suit the real killers various times. Connally's career was rewarded (as was Bush) for his service to the assassins when he received a job in Nixon's cabinet in 1970. Connally repaid G.H.W. Bush by insisting he (Bush) get a White House job with him.

LBJ.

the agency is withholding 295 specific documents from the 1960s and ’70s, while refusing to confirm or deny the existence of many others, saying their release would cause “extremely grave damage” to national security.
    Wonder why these documents havent been shredded by now.

Nixon was in Dallas during the murder, denied it, then changed his story several times during the years after.
    http://www.crimemagazine.com/03/richardnixon,1014.htm dont get me wrong I liked Nixon, and would like him back.
    Last edited by Brutus; October 19th, 2009 at 04:31 AM.

He's back!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread