+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken canister of cluster bombs found

Default Broken canister of cluster bombs found

Looking for: The owner of this broken container of cluster bombs. Also wanted known: The reason these were dropped in contravention of International law. Who dropped them and why? Who manufactured them? For what reasons? What are their purposes? What are the names of the designers? Where do they reside? Which countries have these? Which countries do not? Which countries manufacture them? Which countries export/import them? Sanctions are in the news. Sanctions should be placed on any country manufacturing, holding, selling or dealing in these children-killers and maimers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dogma schmogma

Cluster bombs, aerial phosphorus, DU...
    all illegal but US and Israel use them anyway. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

While shooting certain ordinance at people is illegal, you are allowed to fire them at equipment. Hence, to be within the law, you must fire at enemy equipment( belts,backpacks,weapons,boots, ect, ect) rather than the soldier himself.
    There are numerous sections of all the Geneva Conventions that make little sense. An example is that one may not shoot at an enemy paratrooper until he has one foot on the ground, but you are allowed to try and disable his parachute by shooting bullets thru it. He is entitled to shoot, not to cause offensive injury, but rather to protect the government issued equipment he is carrying.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Been my experience...there are no rules when somebody is shooting at you.
    There Is No Second Place Winner ...even if your not brusque and merely informative.

Quote Originally Posted by daddybo View Post
    Been my experience...there are no rules when somebody is shooting at you.
    And this administration takes the Geneva Conventions seriously? The enemy undoubtedly will say, I hit the paratrooper accidentally--I was aiming at his parachute. Sorry. The paratrooper will say, they were shooting at me--I had to defend myself--or I was only protecting my equipment--I didn't mean to hit anyone. Sorry.

Waterboard'em both! That will teach them!

They are high ideals, and laudible, I guess. But it is ludicrous to think anyone will follow them, especially in a life or death situation.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    While shooting certain ordinance at people is illegal, you are allowed to fire them at equipment. Hence, to be within the law, you must fire at enemy equipment( belts,backpacks,weapons,boots, ect, ect) rather than the soldier himself.
    There are numerous sections of all the Geneva Conventions that make little sense. An example is that one may not shoot at an enemy paratrooper until he has one foot on the ground, but you are allowed to try and disable his parachute by shooting bullets thru it. He is entitled to shoot, not to cause offensive injury, but rather to protect the government issued equipment he is carrying.
    Interesting. So Governments' main concern is: Government equipment. Too bad about people.
    Dogma schmogma

Damn straight. If a soldier breaks his own leg in order to escape combat, he'll be brought up on charges on destruction of government property.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Cluster bomb trade funded by world's biggest banks

Goldman Sachs, the US bank which made £3.19bn proft in just three months, earned $588.82m for bank services and lent $250m to Alliant Techsystems and Textron.

Of the banks named, only Barclays was prepared to comment. It said: "Barclays group provides financial services to the defence sector within a specific policy framework. It is our policy not to finance trade in nuclear, chemical, biological or other weapons of mass destruction.

"Our policy also explicitly prohibits financing trade in landmines, cluster bombs or any equipment designed to be used as an instrument of torture." A spokeswoman added that Barclays had supplied money to Textron, which makes cluster bombs, but that the US firm was a broad-based weapons manufacturer.

Last December 90 countries, including the UK, committed themselves to banning cluster bombs by next year. But the US was not one of them. So far 23 countries have ratified the convention. The UK has yet to do so, but the Foreign Office confirmed that it would form part of the government's legislative programme before the next election.

A Foreign Office spokesman said the tightest export control order had been placed on cluster bombs, which extended to banks supplying money to manufacturers. The government was aware the control order was not working and "is working on it".

More: http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-manufacturers
    Last edited by zengrifter; October 31st, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Default WikiLeaks Cable on Secret Cluster Bomb Deal

An expert from the Mines Advisory Group inspects an unexploded Israeli cluster bomb in the Lebanese village of Ouazaiyeh, Lebanon, after the 2006 war. Photograph: Mohammed Zaatari/AP

British and American officials colluded in a plan to hoodwink parliament over a proposed ban on cluster bombs, the Guardian can disclose.
    According to leaked US embassy dispatches, David Miliband, who was Britain's foreign secretary under Labour, approved the use of a loophole to manoeuvre around the ban and allow the US to keep the munitions on British territory.
    Unlike Britain, the US had refused to sign up to an international convention that bans the weapons because of the widespread injury they cause to civilians.
    The US military asserted that cluster bombs were "legitimate weapons that provide a vital military capability" and wanted to carry on using British bases regardless of the ban.

More: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-bombs-britain

+ Reply to Thread