+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: The Brilliant Clarity of Ever-Present Awareness

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Reasonable interpretation attempt, for a non-buddhist. Here it is again:
    Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    The Buddha adds: "Suffering exits, but NONE who suffer."

    I think this could be a Zen Koan. My guess:
    The suffering that exits proved that none suffered the suffering that exited, because it exited already... Dumkopf!
    I originally thought it might be "Suffering exists...," but that would not be esoteric enough for a zen post, so I quickly discarded that interpretation. I think you are probably correct. Stupid me.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelerus View Post
    With his saying, I consider Voltaire to have meant that suffering is the fundamental reality of existence, while happiness occurs only as brief moments of forgetfulness of that reality. Suffering is the ground of all sentient life: in suffering we are born; through suffering we struggle to exist; in suffering we die.

    In the final analysis, and to put it bluntly, what in the world does anyone have anything to be happy about, exactly? Happiness - in the sense of being happy to have made an achievement, to have found love, to have won money - simply cannot stand up to objective analysis. Ultimately, none of these objects of desire have even a single effect upon the basic realities of existence: death at any moment or a lifetime of illness, mental tortures, the anguish of losing everything and anything one holds dear, and in the end - as perhaps the most merciful element of life - one's total annihilation.

    And as the tragic animal, it is also man's fate to understand this. Thus as soon as one object of his desiring is achieved, another quickly fills its place after only a brief moment of satisfaction. It is this destiny of eternal seeking without satisfaction that has led the wisest sages to the same conclusion: Life is a sickness.

    Life, both as a whole and in its component pieces, has all the characteristics of a sickness: the initial onset of symptoms (Something catches one's fancy); the progression of the illness (He struggles to acquire or achieve it); the brief period of recovery (He finally achieves the object of desire); and the immediate re-onset of the condition (He becomes bored with his achievement and moves on to the next object of desiring).

    In this cycle of illness, happiness exists only as the briefest and most fleeting stage (to make use of a blackjack analogy, it is the two percent of the time when one finds oneself at new bankroll high).

    The enlightened man, having recognized this cycle and his place within it, is naturally concerned with a way of escape. To that end, he has created religions and philosophies of various sorts which preach the methods by which one can attain some degree of liberation from the cycle of illness. But ultimately, when it comes to the riddle in which life itself is the problem, there can be only one true solution - and that is death.
    I always hit my 16 V 10... therefore I suffer...

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,587

    Default

    The secret to eternal happiness resides in Benny Hinn's Jesus coat. Amen


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Did you realize that the Christian religion is the only religion on earth that believes God is three Persons in one God, not three aspects, not three personalities, not three modalities, but three Persons, each of them fully God, and yet there is only one God. Even the Jews did not believe that. Nor do the Hindus or the Buddhists or the Muslims. The reason no one else believes that is because it defies reason. It can only come from supernatural revelation; it cannot be deduced by reason.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Did you realize that the Christian religion is the only religion on earth that believes God is three Persons in one God, not three aspects, not three personalities, not three modalities, but three Persons, each of them fully God, and yet there is only one God. Even the Jews did not believe that. Nor do the Hindus or the Buddhists or the Muslims. The reason no one else believes that is because it defies reason. It can only come from supernatural revelation; it cannot be deduced by reason.
    Yes, I realized that several times you have pontificated that. But I don't believe that malarkey for a second. And yes, I agree with you: it cannot be deduced by reason. So therefore, we should believe the un=reasonable, right?

    PS I believe in Benny's coat.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Yes, I realized that several times you have pontificated that. But I don't believe that malarkey for a second. And yes, I agree with you: it cannot be deduced by reason. So therefore, we should believe the un=reasonable, right?

    PS I believe in Benny's coat.
    I deduced by reason that Jesus was who he said he was. I heard about the Trinity from him. Therefore, indirectly, my belief in the Trinity is based on reason, but not directly so. I like Benny's coat, but I would not believe in it if I were you. It's not your style.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I deduced by reason that Jesus was who he said he was. I heard about the Trinity from him. Therefore, indirectly, my belief in the Trinity is based on reason, but not directly so. I like Benny's coat, but I would not believe in it if I were you. It's not your style.
    Interesting... Jesus said that? Where exactly in the Bible is he alleged to have mentioned the Trinity concept? I have it on expert opinion that the word Trinity is not even mentioned once in the Bible. Where can I get a Benny coat?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Interesting... Jesus said that? Where exactly in the Bible is he alleged to have mentioned the Trinity concept? I have it on expert opinion that the word Trinity is not even mentioned once in the Bible. Where can I get a Benny coat?
    Didn't he say "me and dad and the holy ghost are one?"

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Interesting... Jesus said that? Where exactly in the Bible is he alleged to have mentioned the Trinity concept? I have it on expert opinion that the word Trinity is not even mentioned once in the Bible. Where can I get a Benny coat?
    The word Christianity is not there either, but so what? Jesus revealed that he had a Father, that he himself was the Son, and that after he had gone he would send the Holy Spirit, which he did on Pentecost Sunday. We call his teaching about the threefold nature of God the Trinity. Tell your expert that Presbyterian is not in there either.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    In the YO
    Posts
    15,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    The word Christianity is not there either, but so what? Jesus revealed that he had a Father, that he himself was the Son, and that after he had gone he would send the Holy Spirit, which he did on Pentecost Sunday. We call his teaching about the threefold nature of God the Trinity. Tell your expert that Presbyterian is not in there either.
    The Bible is nothing if not contradictory. As we see here, Jesus is alleged to have said very contradictory things indeed. On the one hand he makes it clear there is two of them, he and his father. On the other hand, they are both one. Hmmmm

    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 10:27-30 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.

    John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

    Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

    Luke 23
    Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

    Luke 22:42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Let's get back on topic:
    "the always-already brilliant clarity
    .of ever-present awareness in the now"

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    The Bible is nothing if not contradictory. As we see here, Jesus is alleged to have said very contradictory things indeed. On the one hand he makes it clear there is two of them, he and his father. On the other hand, they are both one. Hmmmm

    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 10:27-30 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.

    John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

    Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

    Luke 23
    Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

    Luke 22:42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."
    Brother Katz is struggling with the concept of the Trinity. It's a mystery, Brother Katz, a mystery. If it could be understood, it would not be a mystery. You have to make up your mind, was he a liar, a loon, or who he said he was. The best way to do that is to read the 4 gospels. Do they sound like they were written by people trying to deceive the reader, or by men sincere in their beliefs? You have to make up your own mind, but you also have to do your own reading. You can't take the word of others on so important an issue.

    No other man has ever raised himself from the dead. It's a mystery. That fact falls right in line with the idea that he is beyond being just human. But the mystery that he is God, a Trinitarian God, the second Person in the Trinity, goes far beyond anything that man could have ever reasoned to. So if he wasn't a liar, and if he wasn't a loon, and if he did things as they were reported he did, like raising himself from the dead, then he is/was God, just as he said he was. But you have to do the reading yourself, and don't rely on your memory. Pick it up and read it, Katz.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. World Hails Obama's 'Brilliant' Victory
    By InPlay in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
  2. 75 Brilliant Minds on the Next 50 Years
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts