+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ed Thorp to be Frozen...

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Agreed, though Thorp, Laughlin, and Timothy Leary all took this dreadful ice-plunge!

Why Freezing Yourself Is a Terrible Way to Achieve Immortality
    unlike the miraculous rebirth of one's soul at the hands of Osiris, the practice of cryonics promises the
    rebirth of a younger, fitter, and not-dead you—all through the miracle of future scientific progress.
    I didn't see blackjackjim in the room when I came in?
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Agreed, though Thorp, Laughlin, and Timothy Leary all took this dreadful ice-plunge!

Why Freezing Yourself Is a Terrible Way to Achieve Immortality
    unlike the miraculous rebirth of one's soul at the hands of Osiris, the practice of cryonics promises the
    rebirth of a younger, fitter, and not-dead you—all through the miracle of future scientific progress.
    When you wake up, will you still have a dick that works?

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    When you wake up, will you still have a dick that works?
    That's the one catch.

Which reminds me of a story. A man lives a holy life, dies and goes to heaven. His neighbor lives a sinful life, dies, and goes to hell. The man in heaven inquires about his neighbor and St. Peter allows him to look into hell where his friend is seated with a beautiful blond on his lap and a bottle of Macallan in his hand. He asks St. Peter, "How can this be? I lived a virtuous life and all I get to do is float around on a cloud all day and play this harp, while my friend lived a terrible life and gets a beautiful blond and a bottle of good Scotch. What gives?" St. Peter replies, "Things aren't always what they seem. You see, the bottle has a hole in it, but the blond doesn't."
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

... and reanimated along with Don Laughlin. zg

-----------------

Scottsdale Times - John Dickerson

Multimillionaires scheduled to freeze their corpses at Scottsdale-based Alcor's cryonics facility are now creating multimillion-dollar trust funds for future spending in their next life. Some descendent relatives aren't too hot on the idea

Like Pizer and Laughlin, hedge fund guru Edward Thorp's hope for eternal life rests in the technology humanity could possibly develop someday.

Were he to die today, Thorp estimates there's about a two percent chance he could be reanimated in the future. But Thorp, a mathematician to the soul, guesses his chances increase by about one percent with each passing year. "The better the prospects look, the more willing I am to invest in it," he says. "I expect the odds to continually improve."

Valued between $100 and $300 million, 73-year-old Thorp hopes to be around for another 25 or 30 years, at which time he expects preservation technology to be even better.

... continued here - http://timespublications.com/mar06-feature1.asp
    I like the man's book but he cannot take his fortune with him when that dreadful day comes. In 25-30 years from now will the USD even be around?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I like the man's book but he cannot take his fortune with him when that dreadful day comes. In 25-30 years from now will the USD even be around?
    Yeah, he freezes his asset off for 20 years and then the big crash comes and the company goes kaput!
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Yeah, he freezes his asset off for 20 years and then the big crash comes and the company goes kaput!
    There are a whole bunch of worst case scenarios that I could think of. That's even if they have the life extension technology ready for individuals who may be able to afford it. I think the idea is borderline megalomania myself.

"Things aren't always what they seem. You see, the bottle has a hole in it, but the blond doesn't."
    But oh what a mouth she's got!
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

But oh what a mouth she's got!
    It's a sign of the times. Perverted sex is more desired than regular sex. I was at a gathering one time where they must have been relating similar jokes and innuendos, and a girl I knew exclaimed, "Suck, suck, suck! Doesn't anyone want to f**k anymore?!"
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

It's a sign of the times. Perverted sex is more desired than regular sex. I was at a gathering one time where they must have been relating similar jokes and innuendos, and a girl I knew exclaimed, "Suck, suck, suck! Doesn't anyone want to f**k anymore?!"
    That is what I meant by (big) mouth!
    What is the Catholic position on oral sex, BTW?
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

That is what I meant by (big) mouth!
    What is the Catholic position on oral sex, BTW?
    I believe, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe it is generally with both knees on the floor, but other positions are allowable within the context of marriage only, mind you.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

+ Reply to Thread