+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Price of cocaine set to plunge, UN warns

  1. #1

    Default Price of cocaine set to plunge, UN warns

    Price of cocaine set to plunge, UN warns

    The price of cocaine is set to plunge further because Europe is being flooded
    with the drug through new smuggling routes, the United Nations drugs chief Hamid Ghodse has warned.


    Last Updated: 3:09PM GMT 18 Feb 2009


    Cocaine: Stockpiles of the drug are building up in West Africa
    from where it is shipped to the UK Photo: GETTY CREATIVE


    Traffickers are exploiting networks in West Africa and Eastern Europe to bring the drug in from South America.

    The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) said cocaine prices would continue to fall unless action was taken to block the new supply routes.

    It comes less than a week after Home Office figures suggested a line of cocaine is now cheaper than a pint of lager or glass of wine.

    The INCB annual report said South American drug producers are switching supplies from the Caribbean and North Atlantic to avoid Royal Navy and US authorities.

    Stockpiles of the drug are building up in West Africa from where it is shipped to the UK and the rest of Europe either directly or via the Balkans.

    Traffickers are also loading commercial flights with "large numbers" of passengers acting as drug mules, swallowing as much as a kilogram of cocaine each.

    This "shotgun approach" makes it more difficult for police and customs officials to spot every mule, it said.

    INCB President Mr Ghodse said: "I think prices are likely to fall providing the governments don't step up their efforts to intercept supplies.

    "The route of transporting for traffickers has become relatively easier and less susceptible to interdiction."

    Shadow home affairs minister James Brokenshire said: "Drug crime has rocketed under Labour and the Government has failed to secure our porous borders. Cocaine and heroin are being sold at ten year low prices and it's deeply disturbing to think that hard drug supply into the UK may increase further.

    "The drug dealers have flourished whilst the Government has floundered."

    xxx
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    5

    Wink Wow

    Thats ridiculous looks like its time to switch to selling meth and herion cokes out of the question.
    Dont judge me its hard to build a proper blackjack bankroll working the 9 to 5

    lol just kidding

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    "The drug dealers have flourished whilst the Government has floundered."
    Owing to people's misplaced values, no? Or is it disgust with government? Whatever, a drugged society is an ill omen of things to come. Name:  1994.gif
Views: 133
Size:  6.5 KB
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Familiar sniff

    Have I seen those nail-polished fingernails before? They look familiar.
    Dogma schmogma

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    82

    Default Some show on television I was watching

    There was this special on television about the whole "war on drugs", it's origins, the huge bureaucracy built up by the government for the official war on drugs, the expense involved, etc.

    The summarization of it all was that the "war on drugs" has been a failure. A very complete and very COSTLY ongoing failure. Supply and demand---Just like the alcohol prohibiton that occurred way back when. A large enough portion of the population enjoyed slugging down a drink once in a while. A huge part of the population enjoys some sort of illegal drug, such as marijuana on a recreational basis. Selling it just as you would alcohol and TAXING it instead of ti being a blackmarket item would bail us out of the national debt!

    I don't use any of what are considered the illegal drugs and hardly or very infrequently may even consume any alcoholic beverages (I enjoy having my mind nice and intact and functional), nor do I advocate use of any drugs or alcohol BUT----According to this special on the television, about 30-40% of the people filling up our prison system are there on simple drug charges... what are you going to do? Lock up more than half the population in prison upon catching all those evil druggies??? What's left of the population can support them all. Politicians such as Dick Cheney make big bucks out of prisons and prison system industries from what I hear. Another thing, which runs afoul with the "war on drugs"... since it is an underground blackmarket sort of thing with no control, taxation or regulation, it's easier for a high school age kid to get his hands on illegal drugs of some sort than it is for him to get his hands on a 6 pack of beer! SOME PAYOFF from your war on drugs you bunch of idiots!

    What have we learned here today kiddies? Well...we have learned that:

    -The prohibition of drugs and the war on drugs is an ongoing and costly failure.

    -Simply legalizing at least some of it would bail us out of the national debt (or at least take a big chunk off it) because it would be taxed and controlled, instead of Juan Valdez and Guadalupe Sanchez being the only ones to make millions of dollars via blackmarket sales.

    -People like Dick Cheney are sucking up millions of taxpayer dollars from his involvement with prison industries and you are all footing the bill. If it were up to Dick, most of the countries population would all be in prison because he would make more money. Politicians have the ability to take advantage of awarding contracts to private business that they are affiliated with. The war on drugs is keeping people in government jobs and awarding huge money and contracts to private industry and a huge bureaucracy while you pay for it all, the taxpayer.

    -It's easier for a high school age kid to obtain some marijuana than it is for him to try to get his hands on a 6 pack of beer... that's truly a sad state of affairs. Alcohol is closely monitored, taxed, etc. and there is little or no blackmarket potential on any scale.

    -People are not all stupid and know that drugs are bad for you in excess. They elect to do them in excess anyway? So be it! Let them! Tax it! What are we to do? Throw half the entire population of the US in prison???
    Last edited by Tarzan; February 21st, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default War on drugs

    What a surprise and disappointment to learn that GWB's War on Drugs was a failure! What is the next advice tendered from the bible belt concerning drugs?
    Dogma schmogma

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    There was this special on television about the whole "war on drugs", it's origins, the huge bureaucracy built up by the government for the official war on drugs, the expense involved, etc.

    The summarization of it all was that the "war on drugs" has been a failure. A very complete and very COSTLY ongoing failure. Supply and demand---Just like the alcohol prohibiton that occurred way back when. A large enough portion of the population enjoyed slugging down a drink once in a while. A huge part of the population enjoys some sort of illegal drug, such as marijuana on a recreational basis. Selling it just as you would alcohol and TAXING it instead of ti being a blackmarket item would bail us out of the national debt!

    I don't use any of what are considered the illegal drugs and hardly or very infrequently may even consume any alcoholic beverages (I enjoy having my mind nice and intact and functional), nor do I advocate use of any drugs or alcohol BUT----According to this special on the television, about 30-40% of the people filling up our prison system are there on simple drug charges... what are you going to do? Lock up more than half the population in prison upon catching all those evil druggies??? What's left of the population can support them all. Politicians such as Dick Cheney make big bucks out of prisons and prison system industries from what I hear. Another thing, which runs afoul with the "war on drugs"... since it is an underground blackmarket sort of thing with no control, taxation or regulation, it's easier for a high school age kid to get his hands on illegal drugs of some sort than it is for him to get his hands on a 6 pack of beer! SOME PAYOFF from your war on drugs you bunch of idiots!

    What have we learned here today kiddies? Well...we have learned that:

    -The prohibition of drugs and the war on drugs is an ongoing and costly failure.

    -Simply legalizing at least some of it would bail us out of the national debt (or at least take a big chunk off it) because it would be taxed and controlled, instead of Juan Valdez and Guadalupe Sanchez being the only ones to make millions of dollars via blackmarket sales.

    -People like Dick Cheney are sucking up millions of taxpayer dollars from his involvement with prison industries and you are all footing the bill. If it were up to Dick, most of the countries population would all be in prison because he would make more money. Politicians have the ability to take advantage of awarding contracts to private business that they are affiliated with. The war on drugs is keeping people in government jobs and awarding huge money and contracts to private industry and a huge bureaucracy while you pay for it all, the taxpayer.

    -It's easier for a high school age kid to obtain some marijuana than it is for him to try to get his hands on a 6 pack of beer... that's truly a sad state of affairs. Alcohol is closely monitored, taxed, etc. and there is little or no blackmarket potential on any scale.

    -People are not all stupid and know that drugs are bad for you in excess. They elect to do them in excess anyway? So be it! Let them! Tax it! What are we to do? Throw half the entire population of the US in prison???
    And with Mexico imploding and about to become a Narco-state, we had better think up something to deal with the drug problem. I am like you, I have a beer once in a while, and do not do drugs. But maybe legalization of pot would make sense, and it might help the economy. The harder drugs pose a bigger problem. Maybe doctors should be allowed to prescribe them for recreational purposes, i don't know. I am just thinking out loud. Even legal, couldn't it get out of hand? But the war on drugs has been a dismal failure. Where drugs are legal, I wonder what the burden on society is for those addicted?
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    What a surprise and disappointment to learn that GWB's War on Drugs was a failure! What is the next advice tendered from the bible belt concerning drugs?
    As I recall, the war on drugs started back in the 70's under Richard Nixon and has been continued by every President since.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default War on drugs again; more of the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    As I recall, the war on drugs started back in the 70's under Richard Nixon and has been continued by every President since.
    Right. I think I got it. The dismal failure of the policy called War on Drugs began with Nixon and continued as a failure, right down through to GWB. With due regard to tradition, he continued to fail, for another 8 years. Will Obama continue the fail tradition, with War on Drugs?
    Dogma schmogma

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Right. I think I got it. The dismal failure of the policy called War on Drugs began with Nixon and continued as a failure, right down through to GWB. With due regard to tradition, he continued to fail, for another 8 years. Will Obama continue the fail tradition, with War on Drugs?
    Most likely.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    And with Mexico imploding and about to become a Narco-state, we had better think up something to deal with the drug problem. I am like you, I have a beer once in a while, and do not do drugs. But maybe legalization of pot would make sense, and it might help the economy. The harder drugs pose a bigger problem. Maybe doctors should be allowed to prescribe them for recreational purposes, i don't know. I am just thinking out loud. Even legal, couldn't it get out of hand? But the war on drugs has been a dismal failure. Where drugs are legal, I wonder what the burden on society is for those addicted?
    Legalize ALL drugs, is the only intelligent answer. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    As I recall, the war on drugs started back in the 70's under Richard Nixon and has been continued by every President since.
    The War began with the prohibition on pot, coke, heroin in the early 30s, but it went to a new plateau under Nixon AFTER Tim Leary successfully challenged the unconstitutionality of THEN federal pot laws in the US Supreme Court, to which Nixon remarked: "Leary is the most dangerous man in America." zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Will Obama continue the fail tradition, with War on Drugs?
    I predict that Obama will be a BIG disappointment to MJ normalacy proponents. zg
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    The War began with the prohibition on pot, coke, heroin in the early 30s, but it went to a new plateau under Nixon AFTER Tim Leary successfully challenged the unconstitutionality of THEN federal pot laws in the US Supreme Court, to which Nixon remarked: "Leary is the most dangerous man in America." zg
    The term, "war on drugs," was coined in 1971.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Legalize ALL drugs, is the only intelligent answer. zg
    Possibly, but I keep remembering the streets filled with needles when I visited Zurich, I think it was Zurich, back in 1965. One heartless strategy would be to let the druggies have their fill and OD themselves to death, thus eliminating the problem. I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. Another scenario would be to fill thousands of treatment centers for drug addicts. Lastly, I guess you could require a physician's (or paid professional's) prescription, monitoring and dosage control. I don't think you will find that the majority of drug users would use them responsibly as you lead us to believe that you yourself do. The result might be more burden on the state than when attempts at control were employed. But at least, the criminal aspect would be eliminated, which is a large burden on the state. Without a full appreciation of the problem on my part , it looks like you are probably correct, that is, legalization and let adults decide for themselves what risks to expose their own minds and bodies to.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. New Bush Cocaine Allegations
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 30th, 2014, 01:20 AM
  2. Forecast: U.S. dollar could plunge 90%
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
  3. Who/What is The Plunge Protection Team?
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 4th, 2008, 02:33 AM
  4. The price of gold...
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
  5. New 'Cocaine' Drink
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts