+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 181

Thread: Philosophers and Philosophy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default Philosophers and Philosophy

    What are everyone's favorite thinkers, thoughts, ideas, principles... etc. I apologize if this is already a thread, but i had to start it ... Phil major :-D

    Personally i'm a fan of Kant, my grad school interests are philosophy of religion, existentialism, philosophy of mathematics.

    Go figure... a blackjack player interested in philosophy of mathematics ... i have heard that some graduate programs actually require phil majors to take a doctorate level math class or a game theory class to obtain a PhD in philosophy.
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  2. #2

    Default

    See ZGI, last 2-3 pages. zg

    Alan Watts - The Book!

    Alan Watts From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts


    Last edited by zengrifter; February 17th, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace157 View Post
    What are everyone's favorite thinkers, thoughts, ideas, principles... etc. I apologize if this is already a thread, but i had to start it ... Phil major :-D

    Personally i'm a fan of Kant, my grad school interests are philosophy of religion, existentialism, philosophy of mathematics.

    Go figure... a blackjack player interested in philosophy of mathematics ... i have heard that some graduate programs actually require phil majors to take a doctorate level math class or a game theory class to obtain a PhD in philosophy.
    I always like Kant as well. He was one of my professors favorites, so we spent a lot of time on him. Yes, the Categorical Imperative!

    I remember doing a paper on Edmund Husserl as well but I never got really deep into any of the modern philosophers in the survey courses I took. It would be worthwhile to go back to studying the great philosophers. It's on my list of things to do.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace157 View Post
    What are everyone's favorite thinkers, thoughts, ideas, principles... etc. I apologize if this is already a thread, but i had to start it ... Phil major :-D

    Personally i'm a fan of Kant, my grad school interests are philosophy of religion, existentialism, philosophy of mathematics.

    Go figure... a blackjack player interested in philosophy of mathematics ... i have heard that some graduate programs actually require phil majors to take a doctorate level math class or a game theory class to obtain a PhD in philosophy.
    mainly unschooled in philosophy but have recently been reading some about these guys:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextus_Empiricus

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell

    as a Phil major, i think you should read Nassim Taleb's, The Black Swan.
    www.fooledbyrandomness.com
    best regards,
    mr fr0g MMOA honorary predator
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART
    that's my take on it your mileage may vary.
    for senior citizen fuzzy count click link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTiP4ZIUfI

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Most of my studies have been in Philosophy of Religion with a bit of classics, and a side dish of mixed moder/existential/19th cent philosophers

    Funny story, my professor is a lutheran who favors kierkegaard and im a catholic who favors kant, always freindly debates to engage in haha
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    My favorite philosphesizer would be Robert Hunter. With Hunter Thompson and Robert Zimmerman a close second.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Ayn Rand. I wish her objectivism had led her to conclude that the most reasonable position is the Christian one, but alas she didn't. Still a great philosophy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Ayn Rand. I wish her objectivism had led her to conclude that the most reasonable position is the Christian one, but alas she didn't. Still a great philosophy.
    When I was deep into the world of comics, one of my idols was a man named Steve Ditko. He either created or co-created Spiderman and walked away from comics at the height of his popularity. An intensely private man, he never gave interviews or did public appearences. I finally tracked him down,and he gave me two minutes of his time. He said to understand him, I should read Atlas Shrugged. Some 2,000 or so pages later,I came to the conclusion that Mr Ditko was a practical joker.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    13

    Default Epicurus

    Epicurus and Thomas Paine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vingtetun View Post
    Epicurus and Thomas Paine.
    ooh! good choices
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Who said- " I've read the great philosophies of Plato,Christ and Socrates, and I live by most their rules"?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Who said- " I've read the great philosophies of Plato,Christ and Socrates, and I live by most their rules"?
    an honest man hehe; ummmmm was it Witgenstein?
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace157 View Post
    Most of my studies have been in Philosophy of Religion with a bit of classics, and a side dish of mixed moder/existential/19th cent philosophers

    Funny story, my professor is a lutheran who favors kierkegaard and im a catholic who favors kant, always freindly debates to engage in haha
    We studied Jean Paul Sartre at the Catholic university I attended. It was quite interesting to be exposed to such un-Catholic thinking. One thing I learned was respect for the intellectual integrity of others, no matter what their beliefs, although I still have difficulty with atheists, since the existence of God seems self-evident. Then I fall back on the belief that no one knows anything for certain. It's all a matter of belief.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    We studied Jean Paul Sartre at the Catholic university I attended. It was quite interesting to be exposed to such un-Catholic thinking. One thing I learned was respect for the intellectual integrity of others, no matter what their beliefs, although I still have difficulty with atheists, since the existence of God seems self-evident. Then I fall back on the belief that no one knows anything for certain. It's all a matter of belief.
    well you can go a couple ways for on that matter of belief. Descartes will say that there are indeed things that we can know for certain... like our existence. Or if u prefer to go with the belief route, Kant places a great emphasis on faith, and Kierkegaard focuses on a "leap" ... thus we get the term "leap of faith"
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace157 View Post
    well you can go a couple ways for on that matter of belief. Descartes will say that there are indeed things that we can know for certain... like our existence. Or if u prefer to go with the belief route, Kant places a great emphasis on faith, and Kierkegaard focuses on a "leap" ... thus we get the term "leap of faith"
    When I ask the question, "How do I know that I exist?" it becomes apparent. No matter how I answer, it confirms my existence as the questioner of my existence. So I agree with Descartes on this. I still have a problem with knowing that you exist as more than a thought in my own mind, but common sense tells me you do exist. I guess it's, "If me, why not you?"
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Discuss science, politics, philosophy, conspiracy theories, or whatever
    By sagefr0g in forum Site Announcements & Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts