+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophers and Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    When I ask the question, "How do I know that I exist?" it becomes apparent. No matter how I answer, it confirms my existence as the questioner of my existence. So I agree with Descartes on this. I still have a problem with knowing that you exist as more than a thought in my own mind, but common sense tells me you do exist. I guess it's, "If me, why not you?"
    there is actually school of thought who believe there is nothing in the world and everything is just like a movie screen playing before your eyes and tingling your sense... kind of like the matirx, but different form Plato's cave in the sense that there is no redeemer who has seen the "light." However, its easy to escape this because we simply do not live our lives as if we are the only thing in it. Either these people are wrong or they are living in ignorance.
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

Default The internet rules

Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Who said- " I've read the great philosophies of Plato,Christ and Socrates, and I live by most their rules"?
    I got it from the internet. Three guys from history are accredited: Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan and Adolf Hitler. Where do I collect my first prize?
    Dogma schmogma

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    I got it from the internet. Three guys from history are accredited: Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan and Adolf Hitler. Where do I collect my first prize?
    Got a reference? Thats not the answer I was looking for, but the guy quite possibly lifted it from anyone of them.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Default Error 404?

Got a reference? Thats not the answer I was looking for, but the guy quite possibly lifted it from anyone of them.
    Are you suggesting Vlad may be an error? Do you know what he had done with doubters?
    Dogma schmogma

Chances are you rightly concluded it was a lead-in to a bit of snide humor.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Default If only

Chances are you rightly concluded it was a lead-in to a bit of snide humor.
    Firstly Shadroch doubts Vlad's credentials, and now you infer he is my straight man. Just whose side are you on, Mr Aslan? The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly? And don't give me that justice and truth the American way speech stuff again as it is starting to grate, mate.

One very important historical thing has revealed itself to me. Can you imagine what difference this would have made, (which is why Clinton is on the bottom of my list.) He could have nailed Osama Bin L (and + 20 head buddies) with a cruise, but he nailed an elderly African factory night watchman instead. Dumkopf.
    Dogma schmogma

Firstly Shadroch doubts Vlad's credentials, and now you infer he is my straight man. Just whose side are you on, Mr Aslan? The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly? And don't give me that justice and truth the American way speech stuff again as it is starting to grate, mate.

One very important historical thing has revealed itself to me. Can you imagine what difference this would have made, (which is why Clinton is on the bottom of my list.) He could have nailed Osama Bin L (and + 20 head buddies) with a cruise, but he nailed an elderly African factory night watchman instead. Dumkopf.
    Snide humor is what I suspect. Wait and see. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong.

And as for what grates, tell me about it. What do you think all these left wing nuts sound like to me?

So you don't believe in truth, justice and the American (or Australian) way? Then you probably hate Motherhood and apple pie, as well. There is no accounting for taste.

Just call me old-fashioned. Some values never change.
    Last edited by aslan; February 18th, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Default Wing nuts

Snide humor is what I suspect. Wait and see. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong.

And as for what grates, tell me about it. What do you think all these left wing nuts sound like to me?

So you don't believe in truth, justice and the American (or Australian) way? Then you probably hate Motherhood and apple pie, as well. There is no accounting for taste.

Just call me old-fashioned. Some values never change.
    It's all right mate; I don't care if you're old-fashioned. As for values and apple pies, yeah, I love apple pies, pecan pies, blueberry pies and even rhubarb pies. Hell, I even voted for blueberry pies on Brutus' Pie Poll. There are my pie-values, right there...

As for all these left and right wing nuts, a car needs both sides of it working if it's ever going to move don't it? Here, I'm just a nut caught in the middle between left and right; sort of in a heavily-mined no-man's-land. (I try to be Swiss.)

Now you accuse me of making snide comments. Seeing as I am rarely nasty and/or unfair to you personally, then I think you may have been referring to my recent comments about god. If you found those comments snide, then that is your perception and opinion. This thread is about philosophy, so what better topic for it to lurch toward than... god. This is the Mother of all topics isn't it? Because let's face it... There is probably no other word - apart from 'sex' - that carries more heavy baggage than 'god'. And the funny part is that nobody knows for sure what on earth they are talking about, when they use that word. Which includes, as far as I can see, me and... you.
    Dogma schmogma

Default My Boot Camp

You got a reference for your reference? I'm glad you never asked me what language the book that Vlad read was written in, or if he could actually read. Same for Genghis. As for Adolf, now he must have been able to read because he wrote a book; a best seller called 'My Camp' or something. So he is my best shot for my first prize application. When does the competition close?
    Dogma schmogma

It's all right mate; I don't care if you're old-fashioned. As for values and apple pies, yeah, I love apple pies, pecan pies, blueberry pies and even rhubarb pies. Hell, I even voted for blueberry pies on Brutus' Pie Poll. There are my pie-values, right there...
    Try strawberry-rhubarb pie. Mmmmm! Mmmmmm! [Said in the dialect of Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry]

As for all these left and right wing nuts, a car needs both sides of it working if it's ever going to move don't it? Here, I'm just a nut caught in the middle between left and right; sort of in a heavily-mined no-man's-land. (I try to be Swiss.)
    A different kind of nut. We don't need any nuts guiding our politics. Middle of the road is fine, and so is left and right, but forget about the nuts, they're bad for the digestion, especially a world with diverticulosis.

Swiss is fine. They make great pocket knives, watches and cheese. Reminds me of the time I took a train to Geneva. I got off the train and to my amazement--no Alps! Where were the Alps? I thought--well, you know what I thought. I just though I'd share my embarrassment for your possible amusement.

Now you accuse me of making snide comments. Seeing as I am rarely nasty and/or unfair to you personally, then I think you may have been referring to my recent comments about god. If you found those comments snide, then that is your perception and opinion.
    No, I was not referring to you. I was referring to the lead-in posed by Shadroch, and I didn't say it was, but that I "suspected" it was, leading to a bit of snide humor, as in a put down of the religions mentioned.

This thread is about philosophy, so what better topic for it to lurch toward than... god. This is the Mother of all topics isn't it? Because let's face it... There is probably no other word - apart from 'sex' - that carries more heavy baggage than 'god'. And the funny part is that nobody knows for sure what on earth they are talking about, when they use that word. Which includes, as far as I can see, me and... you.
    Well, it is impossible for me to conceive of philosophy that leaves God out. Yes, I can see atheist philosophers leaving out God, but not the majority of the world who are believers in the existence of God.

Actually,"God" is the "Mother" of all topics. I say "Mother," and many jokes are made about the gender of God, but it is the understanding of most religious persons that spirits, and God is a spiritual being, have no gender. The terms Father and Son relate to relationship, but not to gender per se.

Who knows anything. And that is especially true in the world of philosophy. The way I see it, philosophies are intellectual constructs that attempt to explain one person's view of what it's all about. Maybe the philosopher who comes the closest to the truth should win a prize. But who would judge? The conversation keeps coming back to God. Go figure!
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

You got a reference for your reference? I'm glad you never asked me what language the book that Vlad read was written in, or if he could actually read. Same for Genghis. As for Adolf, now he must have been able to read because he wrote a book; a best seller called 'My Camp' or something. So he is my best shot for my first prize application. When does the competition close?
    It's closed.
    Answer I was looking for was Pepi Marcello. If you don't know who he is,I'd suggest google. One of the best rock bands of his era.
    As the only participant,you get the consolation prize. PM me your banking information and a fabulous prize with be forthcoming. As soon as you send $5,000 (US) to cover the taxes on your magnifecent windfall.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.

Default Winners are grinners

It's closed.
    Answer I was looking for was Pepi Marcello. If you don't know who he is,I'd suggest google. One of the best rock bands of his era.
    As the only participant,you get the consolation prize. PM me your banking information and a fabulous prize with be forthcoming. As soon as you send $5,000 (US) to cover the taxes on your magnifecent windfall.
    Winners are grinners, mate! Who ever heard of Pepi Marcello anyway? That was about as obscure as you could get. You may just as well have asked: "What was the middle name of Bill Clinton's great-great-grandmother." That would have been almost as tough.

Five grand seems like a lot of tax. You sure? I must have won a BIG prize! But recent events in the US have made me a little suspicious... Bernie Madoff is a guest of the government for a few billion that he skimmed off some Ponzi scheme. Pardon me for asking but this isn't another Ponzi scheme is it? I'd hate to get suckered again, like those Nigerian, South African and UK scammers have me on their all-time email sucker list and I can't shake em off. Would you by any chance be pals with Chuck Norris? He could help me shake em off.
    Dogma schmogma

Used to be pals with Chuck, but we had a falling out over his support of the Huckster. i'm kind of tight with his brother, for what thats worth
    I actually ghosted a few scripts for Chucks comic back in the late 1980s.
    Anyone here remember Chuck Norris and His Karate Kommandos. It was going to be the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but ended up in the junk heap along with the Geriatric Gerbils and the Adolescent Hamsters.
    Tell you what, lets make it $500 and I'll just cut the prize up and send you a tenth of it. Your choice- a hand or a foot.

Default Dante's Inferno

Used to be pals with Chuck, but we had a falling out over his support of the Huckster. i'm kind of tight with his brother, for what thats worth
    I actually ghosted a few scripts for Chucks comic back in the late 1980s.
    Anyone here remember Chuck Norris and His Karate Kommandos. It was going to be the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but ended up in the junk heap along with the Geriatric Gerbils and the Adolescent Hamsters.
    Tell you what, lets make it $500 and I'll just cut the prize up and send you a tenth of it. Your choice- a hand or a foot.
    You are one weird dude Shadroch. This thread is supposed to be about philosophy; instead you rave on about Pepi, Geriatric Gerbils, Hamsters, Chuck's brother and Karate Kommandos. Who the hell was the Huckster?

How about we get back on track mate, before they call the police. Here is my lead. 1 Is god dead, like some philo said long ago? 2 If so, who killed her? 3 Does god take sides? 4 Did he/she have anything to do with the Asian tsunami that killed +300,000 people? 5 Did he/she have anything to do with the bushfires that killed 201 people down here last week? There, that should start Dante's Inferno and get you back on track.

PS My choice: You get the finger.
    Dogma schmogma

Winners are grinners, mate! Who ever heard of Pepi Marcello anyway? That was about as obscure as you could get. You may just as well have asked: "What was the middle name of Bill Clinton's great-great-grandmother." That would have been almost as tough.

Five grand seems like a lot of tax. You sure? I must have won a BIG prize! But recent events in the US have made me a little suspicious... Bernie Madoff is a guest of the government for a few billion that he skimmed off some Ponzi scheme. Pardon me for asking but this isn't another Ponzi scheme is it? I'd hate to get suckered again, like those Nigerian, South African and UK scammers have me on their all-time email sucker list and I can't shake em off. Would you by any chance be pals with Chuck Norris? He could help me shake em off.
    Truly a non-answer, Kat. More than obscure. I'm glad he didn't go for the snide answer.

BTW, Kat, do you remember who said “I have spent the best years of my life giving people the lighter pleasures, helping them have a good time, and all I get is abuse, the existence of a hunted man.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

+ Reply to Thread