+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 181

Thread: Philosophers and Philosophy

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    When I ask the question, "How do I know that I exist?" it becomes apparent. No matter how I answer, it confirms my existence as the questioner of my existence. So I agree with Descartes on this. I still have a problem with knowing that you exist as more than a thought in my own mind, but common sense tells me you do exist. I guess it's, "If me, why not you?"
    there is actually school of thought who believe there is nothing in the world and everything is just like a movie screen playing before your eyes and tingling your sense... kind of like the matirx, but different form Plato's cave in the sense that there is no redeemer who has seen the "light." However, its easy to escape this because we simply do not live our lives as if we are the only thing in it. Either these people are wrong or they are living in ignorance.
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default The internet rules

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Who said- " I've read the great philosophies of Plato,Christ and Socrates, and I live by most their rules"?
    I got it from the internet. Three guys from history are accredited: Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan and Adolf Hitler. Where do I collect my first prize?
    Dogma schmogma

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    I got it from the internet. Three guys from history are accredited: Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan and Adolf Hitler. Where do I collect my first prize?
    Got a reference? Thats not the answer I was looking for, but the guy quite possibly lifted it from anyone of them.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Error 404?

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Got a reference? Thats not the answer I was looking for, but the guy quite possibly lifted it from anyone of them.
    Are you suggesting Vlad may be an error? Do you know what he had done with doubters?
    Dogma schmogma

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    I got it from the internet. Three guys from history are accredited: Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan and Adolf Hitler. Where do I collect my first prize?
    Chances are you rightly concluded it was a lead-in to a bit of snide humor.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default If only

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Chances are you rightly concluded it was a lead-in to a bit of snide humor.
    Firstly Shadroch doubts Vlad's credentials, and now you infer he is my straight man. Just whose side are you on, Mr Aslan? The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly? And don't give me that justice and truth the American way speech stuff again as it is starting to grate, mate.

    One very important historical thing has revealed itself to me. Can you imagine what difference this would have made, (which is why Clinton is on the bottom of my list.) He could have nailed Osama Bin L (and + 20 head buddies) with a cruise, but he nailed an elderly African factory night watchman instead. Dumkopf.
    Dogma schmogma

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Firstly Shadroch doubts Vlad's credentials, and now you infer he is my straight man. Just whose side are you on, Mr Aslan? The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly? And don't give me that justice and truth the American way speech stuff again as it is starting to grate, mate.

    One very important historical thing has revealed itself to me. Can you imagine what difference this would have made, (which is why Clinton is on the bottom of my list.) He could have nailed Osama Bin L (and + 20 head buddies) with a cruise, but he nailed an elderly African factory night watchman instead. Dumkopf.
    Snide humor is what I suspect. Wait and see. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong.

    And as for what grates, tell me about it. What do you think all these left wing nuts sound like to me?

    So you don't believe in truth, justice and the American (or Australian) way? Then you probably hate Motherhood and apple pie, as well. There is no accounting for taste.

    Just call me old-fashioned. Some values never change.
    Last edited by aslan; February 18th, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Wing nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Snide humor is what I suspect. Wait and see. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong.

    And as for what grates, tell me about it. What do you think all these left wing nuts sound like to me?

    So you don't believe in truth, justice and the American (or Australian) way? Then you probably hate Motherhood and apple pie, as well. There is no accounting for taste.

    Just call me old-fashioned. Some values never change.
    It's all right mate; I don't care if you're old-fashioned. As for values and apple pies, yeah, I love apple pies, pecan pies, blueberry pies and even rhubarb pies. Hell, I even voted for blueberry pies on Brutus' Pie Poll. There are my pie-values, right there...

    As for all these left and right wing nuts, a car needs both sides of it working if it's ever going to move don't it? Here, I'm just a nut caught in the middle between left and right; sort of in a heavily-mined no-man's-land. (I try to be Swiss.)

    Now you accuse me of making snide comments. Seeing as I am rarely nasty and/or unfair to you personally, then I think you may have been referring to my recent comments about god. If you found those comments snide, then that is your perception and opinion. This thread is about philosophy, so what better topic for it to lurch toward than... god. This is the Mother of all topics isn't it? Because let's face it... There is probably no other word - apart from 'sex' - that carries more heavy baggage than 'god'. And the funny part is that nobody knows for sure what on earth they are talking about, when they use that word. Which includes, as far as I can see, me and... you.
    Dogma schmogma

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default My Boot Camp

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Got a reference? Thats not the answer I was looking for, but the guy quite possibly lifted it from anyone of them.
    You got a reference for your reference? I'm glad you never asked me what language the book that Vlad read was written in, or if he could actually read. Same for Genghis. As for Adolf, now he must have been able to read because he wrote a book; a best seller called 'My Camp' or something. So he is my best shot for my first prize application. When does the competition close?
    Dogma schmogma

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    It's all right mate; I don't care if you're old-fashioned. As for values and apple pies, yeah, I love apple pies, pecan pies, blueberry pies and even rhubarb pies. Hell, I even voted for blueberry pies on Brutus' Pie Poll. There are my pie-values, right there...
    Try strawberry-rhubarb pie. Mmmmm! Mmmmmm! [Said in the dialect of Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry]

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    As for all these left and right wing nuts, a car needs both sides of it working if it's ever going to move don't it? Here, I'm just a nut caught in the middle between left and right; sort of in a heavily-mined no-man's-land. (I try to be Swiss.)
    A different kind of nut. We don't need any nuts guiding our politics. Middle of the road is fine, and so is left and right, but forget about the nuts, they're bad for the digestion, especially a world with diverticulosis.

    Swiss is fine. They make great pocket knives, watches and cheese. Reminds me of the time I took a train to Geneva. I got off the train and to my amazement--no Alps! Where were the Alps? I thought--well, you know what I thought. I just though I'd share my embarrassment for your possible amusement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Now you accuse me of making snide comments. Seeing as I am rarely nasty and/or unfair to you personally, then I think you may have been referring to my recent comments about god. If you found those comments snide, then that is your perception and opinion.
    No, I was not referring to you. I was referring to the lead-in posed by Shadroch, and I didn't say it was, but that I "suspected" it was, leading to a bit of snide humor, as in a put down of the religions mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    This thread is about philosophy, so what better topic for it to lurch toward than... god. This is the Mother of all topics isn't it? Because let's face it... There is probably no other word - apart from 'sex' - that carries more heavy baggage than 'god'. And the funny part is that nobody knows for sure what on earth they are talking about, when they use that word. Which includes, as far as I can see, me and... you.
    Well, it is impossible for me to conceive of philosophy that leaves God out. Yes, I can see atheist philosophers leaving out God, but not the majority of the world who are believers in the existence of God.

    Actually,"God" is the "Mother" of all topics. I say "Mother," and many jokes are made about the gender of God, but it is the understanding of most religious persons that spirits, and God is a spiritual being, have no gender. The terms Father and Son relate to relationship, but not to gender per se.

    Who knows anything. And that is especially true in the world of philosophy. The way I see it, philosophies are intellectual constructs that attempt to explain one person's view of what it's all about. Maybe the philosopher who comes the closest to the truth should win a prize. But who would judge? The conversation keeps coming back to God. Go figure!
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    You got a reference for your reference? I'm glad you never asked me what language the book that Vlad read was written in, or if he could actually read. Same for Genghis. As for Adolf, now he must have been able to read because he wrote a book; a best seller called 'My Camp' or something. So he is my best shot for my first prize application. When does the competition close?
    It's closed.
    Answer I was looking for was Pepi Marcello. If you don't know who he is,I'd suggest google. One of the best rock bands of his era.
    As the only participant,you get the consolation prize. PM me your banking information and a fabulous prize with be forthcoming. As soon as you send $5,000 (US) to cover the taxes on your magnifecent windfall.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Winners are grinners

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    It's closed.
    Answer I was looking for was Pepi Marcello. If you don't know who he is,I'd suggest google. One of the best rock bands of his era.
    As the only participant,you get the consolation prize. PM me your banking information and a fabulous prize with be forthcoming. As soon as you send $5,000 (US) to cover the taxes on your magnifecent windfall.
    Winners are grinners, mate! Who ever heard of Pepi Marcello anyway? That was about as obscure as you could get. You may just as well have asked: "What was the middle name of Bill Clinton's great-great-grandmother." That would have been almost as tough.

    Five grand seems like a lot of tax. You sure? I must have won a BIG prize! But recent events in the US have made me a little suspicious... Bernie Madoff is a guest of the government for a few billion that he skimmed off some Ponzi scheme. Pardon me for asking but this isn't another Ponzi scheme is it? I'd hate to get suckered again, like those Nigerian, South African and UK scammers have me on their all-time email sucker list and I can't shake em off. Would you by any chance be pals with Chuck Norris? He could help me shake em off.
    Dogma schmogma

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Used to be pals with Chuck, but we had a falling out over his support of the Huckster. i'm kind of tight with his brother, for what thats worth
    I actually ghosted a few scripts for Chucks comic back in the late 1980s.
    Anyone here remember Chuck Norris and His Karate Kommandos. It was going to be the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but ended up in the junk heap along with the Geriatric Gerbils and the Adolescent Hamsters.
    Tell you what, lets make it $500 and I'll just cut the prize up and send you a tenth of it. Your choice- a hand or a foot.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out just how far one can go.


    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Third base
    Posts
    11,322

    Default Dante's Inferno

    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Used to be pals with Chuck, but we had a falling out over his support of the Huckster. i'm kind of tight with his brother, for what thats worth
    I actually ghosted a few scripts for Chucks comic back in the late 1980s.
    Anyone here remember Chuck Norris and His Karate Kommandos. It was going to be the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but ended up in the junk heap along with the Geriatric Gerbils and the Adolescent Hamsters.
    Tell you what, lets make it $500 and I'll just cut the prize up and send you a tenth of it. Your choice- a hand or a foot.
    You are one weird dude Shadroch. This thread is supposed to be about philosophy; instead you rave on about Pepi, Geriatric Gerbils, Hamsters, Chuck's brother and Karate Kommandos. Who the hell was the Huckster?


    How about we get back on track mate, before they call the police. Here is my lead. 1 Is god dead, like some philo said long ago? 2 If so, who killed her? 3 Does god take sides? 4 Did he/she have anything to do with the Asian tsunami that killed +300,000 people? 5 Did he/she have anything to do with the bushfires that killed 201 people down here last week? There, that should start Dante's Inferno and get you back on track.

    PS My choice: You get the finger.
    Dogma schmogma

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Winners are grinners, mate! Who ever heard of Pepi Marcello anyway? That was about as obscure as you could get. You may just as well have asked: "What was the middle name of Bill Clinton's great-great-grandmother." That would have been almost as tough.

    Five grand seems like a lot of tax. You sure? I must have won a BIG prize! But recent events in the US have made me a little suspicious... Bernie Madoff is a guest of the government for a few billion that he skimmed off some Ponzi scheme. Pardon me for asking but this isn't another Ponzi scheme is it? I'd hate to get suckered again, like those Nigerian, South African and UK scammers have me on their all-time email sucker list and I can't shake em off. Would you by any chance be pals with Chuck Norris? He could help me shake em off.
    Truly a non-answer, Kat. More than obscure. I'm glad he didn't go for the snide answer.

    BTW, Kat, do you remember who said “I have spent the best years of my life giving people the lighter pleasures, helping them have a good time, and all I get is abuse, the existence of a hunted man.”
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Discuss science, politics, philosophy, conspiracy theories, or whatever
    By sagefr0g in forum Site Announcements & Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts