+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: Philosophers and Philosophy

Default Its alive!!!

wow, im suprised this thread went on til july(ish)... we'll im back to bump it and sort of WONGIN :-D

My graduate school writing sample was a 30 pg senior thesis written on the necessity of pain in human life; titled "Only Through the Pain". anyone care to weigh in? (FYI: the thesis is by no means saying that we do not also need pleasure)
    i'm your huckleberry - Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ace157 View Post
    wow, im suprised this thread went on til july(ish)... we'll im back to bump it and sort of WONGIN :-D

My graduate school writing sample was a 30 pg senior thesis written on the necessity of pain in human life; titled "Only Through the Pain". anyone care to weigh in? (FYI: the thesis is by no means saying that we do not also need pleasure)
    Was C.S.Lewis's The Problem of Pain any part of your thesis? He wrote the best discussion and analysis of pain and why it exists that I have ever read.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Was C.S.Lewis's The Problem of Pain any part of your thesis? He wrote the best discussion and analysis of pain and why it exists that I have ever read.
    he certainly was!!! Clive is my homeboy lol. the problem of pain was the basis for the paper. however, i wanted to obstain from a religious answer, since Lewis did a fine job of that IMO, and ask/answer the question from an ontological and observational prospective rather than religious and descriptive. I also did a lot of reading on William Hasker and John Hick in the process if you're familiar w/ either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Michael A. Hoffman II was educated at the University of New York and is a former reporter for the New York Bureau of the Associated Press. He is the author of several books, including the well known, Judaism's Strange Gods.

Br Nathanael: Is Judaism based on the Old Testament Scriptures?

Michael A. Hoffman: No. By the time of Christ, Judaism was based on the "Oral Law." The New Testament speaks of this as the "traditions of the elders." Jesus Christ denounced and condemned the "traditions of the elders" in the Gospel of John Chapter 5 and in the Gospel of Mark Chapter 7.

~ After the Jewish leadership crucified Jesus Christ, and their subsequent killings and persecution of Christians throughout the Roman world, the rabbis committed to writing the "traditions of the elders" which formed the first part of the Talmud called the Mishnah... (continued, see below)

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED
    http://www.realjewnews.com/?p=20

Other Reviews: Book: 'Judaism's Strange Gods'
    Book: Judaism's Strange Gods by BROTHER NATHANIEL (REAL JEW NEWS)
    Interesting.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

he certainly was!!! Clive is my homeboy lol. the problem of pain was the basis for the paper. however, i wanted to obstain from a religious answer, since Lewis did a fine job of that IMO, and ask/answer the question from an ontological and observational prospective rather than religious and descriptive. I also did a lot of reading on William Hasker and John Hick in the process if you're familiar w/ either of them.
    I'd like to hear more about the content of your thesis. it sounds very interesting to me. But I warn you, you may lose me quickly with $50 words because I have been out of the university milieu for quite some time now. So try to keep it simple, but I'll do my part and visit Merriam Webster online as much as need be. lol
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Welcome back Ace. Yeh, this thread seemed to take on a life of its own... I have two pics that may suggest pleasure and pain... to some. The third may include both pleasure and pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Dogma schmogma

What a headache trying to properly dispense with all that money. I already have enough responsibility, thank you, but I guess I could purchase a fresh new uniform like the one pictured here* (nothing nicer than a brand new uniform) but I don't really like belonging to any clubs or organizations, so forgetaboutit, but I could purchase that beautiful snake skin to make into a wrap for my pool cue. Beyond that, I could pay off my bills and give the rest to charity (or to SageFr0g just to see what he would do with it--kind of a private joke).

*sans armband and other insignia
    Last edited by aslan; December 27th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    What a headache trying to properly dispense with all that money. I already have enough responsibility, thank you
    oh yes, wat a terrible burdon lol

Default The Pervert's Guide to the ZenZone

I find it difficult to comprehend how no one else here seems to follow the work of Slavoj Žižek. Žižek sees ideology as an unconscious fantasy that structures reality (according to the revisionists that edit Wikipedia).[p] Some quotes from "Zizek!" (2005) according to IMBD: "I don't think that philosophers ever provided answers, but I think this was the greatness of philosophy." "My big worry is not to be ignored but to be accepted." A website for his most recent film: http://www.thepervertsguide.com/
    Last edited by Dodo; December 17th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
    I find it difficult to comprehend how no one else here seems to follow the work of Slavoj Žižek. Žižek sees ideology as an unconscious fantasy that structures reality (according to the revisionists that edit Wikipedia).[p] Some quotes from "Zizek!" (2005) according to IMBD: "I don't think that philosophers ever provided answers, but I think this was the greatness of philosophy." "My big worry is not to be ignored but to be accepted." A website for his most recent film: http://www.thepervertsguide.com/
    From Wiki: Politically, Žižek advocates communism as the only alternative to the contemporary institutional arrangements. Seeing as he advocates a largely-dead, discredited and unworkable philosophy, perhaps that is why few take him seriously.

Default Marxist Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    From Wiki: Politically, Žižek advocates communism as the only alternative to the contemporary institutional arrangements. Seeing as he advocates a largely-dead, discredited and unworkable philosophy, perhaps that is why few take him seriously.
    I had mentioned the "revisionist" editors at Wikipedia. They rarely understand subtleties--hey, that might be good third job for you, Mr. Katzweezel.

If you want see how maligned Zizek is, check this humor rag devoted to making fun of him at: http://zizekstudies.org/index.php/ijzs/index
    Some recent articles include: "Peace of Ass" and "Why That Monkey Washes His Balls in My Whiskey".

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." --Karl Marx
    Last edited by Dodo; April 23rd, 2015 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
    I had mentioned the "revisionist" editors at Wikipedia. They rarely understand subtleties--hey, that might be good third job for you, Mr. Katzweezel.

If you want see how maligned Zizek is, check this humor rag devoted to making fun of him at: http://zizekstudies.org/index.php/ijzs/index
    Some recent articles include: "Peace of Ass" and "Why That Monkey Washes His Balls in My Whiskey".

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." --Karl Marx
    Uncle Karl Marx? He was one of my fav philos, but only because of this quote...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Analysis of the Marx Brother

"The Method of Slavoj Žižek's Madness | Analysis"

Poppy Bush said he was not there in Dealey Plaza that day, that he was 'somewhere in Texas' but unable to remember exactly where. What a goddamm liar is the Patriarch of the Bush Crime Family. He was there all right, to see the outcome of what he helped to create... as it happened.

+ Reply to Thread