View Poll Results: What do you believe the future will bring in the long run? A world...

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • where truth and justice prevail.

4 14.29%
  • that is better, but still no permanent world peace.

6 21.43%
  • that is essentially the same.

6 21.43%
  • that is worse than ever.

12 42.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: World Peace--Is It Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ccibball50 View Post
    The world will get better short term only. The economy will do much better in the near future. However as morals and values decline, the world will gradually becoming worse than ever. So the survey questions is not a complete question. Is it talking 10 years down the road, or 100 years?
    It is difficult to put it to years, because we don't know how long the world will last. That is why I chose the term "long run." which is a relative term depending on how long the world lasts. If you think the world will not last more than ten years more, then long run is, say, 8 to 10 years. If you think the world will last 1,000 more years, then 100 years is pretty short term.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

“It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Who says moral values are declining? We have come incredibly far in just the past few centuries. The world may not be more peacefull but we have reached a zenith in human rights awareness and understanding. The US has an African American president for gosh sakes! If that isn't a huge improvement in moral values I don't know what you need to see.
    I think of it in terms of degree. The good get better and the bad get worse. The net may be a trade off, or good may even gain the edge, but there is still a lot of evil in the world and it is larger and worse by degree than ever before. The stakes are also higher--for example, compare bow and arrows of a thousand years ago to hydrogen bombs of today.
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    See, this is where you are mistaken. There are plenty of ways to keep a dog from eating your meat. The simplist is to make sure he's not hungry.
    Beating a dog does nothing but teach it hatred.
    The US/China relationship is a perfect example. Two nations, two dogmas. We should be mortal enemys. We should be spiraling in a death dance where no one could win. Instead, we've embraced them as our largest trading partner. Now they couldn't attack us without destroying their entire economy.
    Sounds good. But I see a day when they may just take that chance, hungry or not. Don't discount the possibility of an evil act, or the desire for the whole pie instead of a piece.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by bj bob View Post
    Better take the under on this one, Aslan. Unfortunately it's a biblical prophesy. Don't try to bet against this house. No way to win this one!
    There will probably be as much war and violence in the future as there was in the past, but the body count will be far higher due to advanced technology.
    Unfortunately the famous quote "Pax relinquo vobis, pacem meam do vobis." (My peace I leave to you..) will only be understood by a minority of mankind.
    Don't worry, I'm not suffering under any delusions. With nuclear power, it is possible even today for one man to push a button that destroys the world. The good grow better and the bad wax worse. But it doesn't take many bad to do us all in.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not suffering under any delusions. With nuclear power, it is possible even today for one man to push a button that destroys the world. The good grow better and the bad wax worse. But it doesn't take many bad to do us all in.
    yeah, that would be a black swan event to end all black swan events.
    sitting here hoping the old saw, 'if anything can go wrong it will' isn't an absolute truism.
    complicated stuff can go to hell in a hand basket in a really big way it seems, witness our current economy. and the world is certainly becoming much more complicated.
    still haven't voted, but i'm leaning towards the last field vote option. sigh.
    best regards,
    mr fr0g MMOA honorary predator
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART
    that's my take on it your mileage may vary.
    for senior citizen fuzzy count click link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTiP4ZIUfI

Every available statistic shows crime has been in a major decline for years.
    It peaked in the 50s/60s and has declined ever since. As far as explict language goes, what are you basing this on? 1950s TV and movies?
    Do you think a generation of men who spent a good deal of their youth killing nazi's and japs didn't use salty language? Divorce rates climb, but that just means fewer people are stuck in lousy marraiges.
    Crime may be down, but I wonder if the number of dead from wars is down as well. It's hard to get good numbers.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Every available statistic shows crime has been in a major decline for years.
    It peaked in the 50s/60s and has declined ever since. As far as explict language goes, what are you basing this on? 1950s TV and movies?
    Do you think a generation of men who spent a good deal of their youth killing nazi's and japs didn't use salty language? Divorce rates climb, but that just means fewer people are stuck in lousy marraiges.
    I will admit, you are probably right about the crime rate. I taught school and coached basketball for about 6 years and was actually making the statement based on the way kids act and the amount of crime in school. Theft, drugs, etc. I coached in both college and highschool. Both at the 2 colleges I attended, and at the highschool I attended as well as a couple of other. I actually coached 8 years but taught 6. But I do know that the illigitimate child rate has increased by 300%

Crime has definately increased in the schools I attended. However I will admit that it is not a large enough pool to make a national decision, but in my state it continues to get worse.

Basically my point I am trying to make is that if morals and values are not taught in home and school, we are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefr0g View Post
    yeah, that would be a black swan event to end all black swan events.
    sitting here hoping the old saw, 'if anything can go wrong it will' isn't an absolute truism.
    complicated stuff can go to hell in a hand basket in a really big way it seems, witness our current economy. and the world is certainly becoming much more complicated.
    still haven't voted, but i'm leaning towards the last field vote option. sigh.
    Me, too.

Speaking of black swans, what would your say if you were walking down a NYC street after dinner after dark with wind chills around zero and all of a sudden a pure white pigeon swoops down across your path and perches on a window sill about knee high next to you and your wife. No other birds are out--it's dark--cold--we walked on, then looked back and could see the bird still sitting on the sill. Do you believe in signs, omens?
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

It is difficult to put it to years, because we don't know how long the world will last. That is why I chose the term "long run." which is a relative term depending on how long the world lasts. If you think the world will not last more than ten years more, then long run is, say, 8 to 10 years. If you think the world will last 1,000 more years, then 100 years is pretty short term.
    Good Point.

Default long run

I agree with bjbob's pov on the long run. The next decade will test us all beyond belief. The next period of history will be right up there with the other world wars and great periods of tribulations. The coming storm will be of a magnitude that we have never seen. True peace will not come soon but is in the future how far is the real question. blackchipjim
    " That we may meet in a better place after this!"

Speaking of black swans, what would your say if you were walking down a NYC street after dinner after dark with wind chills around zero and all of a sudden a pure white pigeon swoops down across your path and perches on a window sill about knee high next to you and your wife. No other birds are out--it's dark--cold--we walked on, then looked back and could see the bird still sitting on the sill. Do you believe in signs, omens?
    for me, signs & omens? no, i don't believe in them.
    but events, might symbolize things one might have in mind, maybe even prod an idea or realization into fruition. sort of thing like that, yeah.
    did the pigeon bring on anything for you?
    best regards,
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART

for me, signs & omens? no, i don't believe in them.
    but events, might symbolize things one might have in mind, maybe even prod an idea or realization into fruition. sort of thing like that, yeah.
    did the pigeon bring on anything for you?
    I once had a pigeon poop on my head while walking near the Capitol in Washington, DC. But this pigeon did not bring on anything for me. lol It was just a very strange, twilight zone-ish sort of thing that doesn't often happen. It's the first pure white pigeon I ever saw. It reminded a friend of mine about the time he was in Turkey and they wouldn't let him on his flight, and in fact, put him under arrest for something or other. The plane crashed and all 124 passengers were killed. We always seem to put special significance on these unusual occurrences, even though they have ordinary explanations.
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

I once had a pigeon poop on my head while walking near the Capitol in Washington, DC. .....
    lmao, we must be kindered souls. when i was in elementary school, running across some ones yard under a tree, mouth open, sort of panting while running, a robin flew over my head and pooped, the poop landed in my mouth.
    i'll never forget it. not sure of the significance.
    best regards,
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART

i went ahead and cast my bet on option 1.
    best regards,
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART

Default Pigeons and seagulls pooped

lmao, we must be kindered souls. when i was in elementary school, running across some ones yard under a tree, mouth open, sort of panting while running, a robin flew over my head and pooped, the poop landed in my mouth.
    i'll never forget it. not sure of the significance.
    It was significant Sage, which will be revealed to you when you reach enlightenment. Just as Aslan's white pigeon and poop story, were very similarly significant for him. (Clue: The Basilica has pigeons)

I was playing golf long ago, and I hit a great tee shot with my 2-wood. It flew fast, but low, right toward a flock of seagulls that had no right perching there, at that time. They all took off, as one, but alas for one, my small white round plastic guided missile travelling at subsonic speed, intercepted a seagull mid-turn and killed it stone dead. My ball lay there next to the cadaver while I searched for a body bag and tried to give it a good un-christian burial ceremony. The significance of that event also awaits my impending enlightenment. For that hole, I scored a birdie.
    Dogma schmogma

+ Reply to Thread