+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Improve Your Luck

Quote Originally Posted by sagefr0g View Post
    why would a gambler's beliefs affect his results in the scenerio you describe?
    would the scientists's beliefs affect the cats outcome in the experiment?
    isn't only the act of observation that collapses the probability wave?
    Exactly frogMan!

Quote Originally Posted by Katweezel View Post
    Just to get this thread back to 'Luck' or something close, I dug up some of my favorite old quotes that are sure to shed light on this elusive subject, if examined deeply, with 3 grains of salt, 3 cracked cups and 1 broken mirror:
    "A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." Groucho Marx

"No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway." Un

"Guessing has never been widely acclaimed as a good gambling strategy."
    Dr G
    "I wish the buck stopped here... I could use a few." Un

"Depend on the rabbit's foot, if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." R E Shay

"Yeah, well, sometimes nuthin can be a real cool hand." Cool Hand Luke

"Dear Lord, help me break even, I need the money." American proverb

"Luck seeks those who flee and flees those who seek." German proverb

"The best throw of the dice is to throw them away." English proverb

"Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn't play poker." Amarillo Slim

"If it weren't for luck, I'd win every time.' Phil Hellmuth

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you have earned." Frank A Clark

"A man gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it." Jim Jones

"Fear can make a sucker do some of the most drastic things you ever imagined... like taking a job." Minnesota Fats 1966
    Or my favorite:
    "Don't worry, nothing is under control!" - Adi Da
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default and more?

Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Or one I think most here will enjoy:

I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you dislike? ~Jean Cocteau

“Here's the thing about luck...you don't know if it's good or bad until you have some perspective.”
    Alice Hoffman, Local Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Wrong.
    Many psychics have won over the years, including the late Jose Silva -
    > http://www.jose-silva.net/content/bio/lottery.php
    "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    .....................The Zengrifter Interview (PDF) |
    The Zengrifter / James Grosjean Reputation Debate
    -----------------------------------------
    “Truth, like gold, is obtained not by growth, but by washing away all that is not gold.” — Leo Tolstoy........
    "Is everything a conspiracy? No, just the important stuff." ZG

Default How to Manipulate Your Luck

During the Great Depression, there was a man who walked into a bar one day. He went up to the bartender and said, "Bartender, I'd like to buy the house a round of drinks."

The bartender said, "That's fine, but we're in the middle of the Depression, so I'll need to see some money first."

The guy pulled out a huge wad of notes and set them on the bar. The bartender can't believe what he's seeing. "Where did you get all that money?" asked the bartender.

"I'm a professional gambler," replied the man.

The bartender said, "There's no such thing! I mean, your odds are fifty-fifty at best, right?"

"Well, I only bet on sure things," said the guy.

"Like what?" asked the bartender.

"Well, for example, I'll bet you fifty dollars that I can bite my right eye," he said.

The bartender thought about it. "Okay," he said.

So, the guy pulled out his false right eye and bit it. "Aw, you screwed me," said the bartender, and paid the guy his $50.

"I'll give you another chance. I'll bet you another fifty dollars that I can bite my left eye," said the stranger.

The bartender thought again and said, "Well, I know you're not blind, I mean, I watched you walk in here. I'll take that bet." So, the guy pulled out his false teeth and bit his left eye.

"Aw, you screwed me again!" protested the bartender.

"That's how I win so much money, bartender. I'll just take a bottle of your best scotch in lieu of the fifty dollars," said the man.

With that, the guy went to the back room and spent the better part of the night playing cards with some of the locals. After many hours of drinking and card playing, he stumbled up to the bar. Drunk as a skunk, he said, "Bartender, I'll give you one last chance. I'll bet you five hundred dollars that I can stand on this bar on one foot and piss into that whisky bottle on that shelf behind you without spilling a drop."

The bartender once again pondered the bet. The guy couldn't even stand up straight on two feet, much less one. "Okay, you're on," he said.

The guy climbed up on the bar, stood on one leg, and began pissing all over the place. He hit the bar, the bartender, himself, but not a drop made it into the whisky bottle.

The bartender was ecstatic. Laughing, the bartender said, "Hey pal, you owe me five hundred dollars!"

The guy climbed down off the bar and said, "That's okay. I just bet each of the guys in the card room a thousand bucks each that I could piss all over you and the bar and still make you laugh!"

+ Reply to Thread