View Poll Results: The so-called rescue bill can best be characterized as:

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • A fraudulent bailout of rich friends, but necessary.

    2 12.50%
  • A fraudulent bailout of rich friends and a total waste of money.

    8 50.00%
  • A necessary action, not a fraudulent bailout of rich friends.

    2 12.50%
  • Not a fraudulent bailout of rich friends, but still a total waste of money.

    4 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: The Rescue Bill

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default The Rescue Bill

    Peoples' opinions of this bill are all over the board. I'm wondering what the Forum thinks. Personally, I was stunned that the Congress did not call in experts from wall street, the business world, and academia. The news media seemed to do a better job in this respect than the Congress. Also, it appeared that the most often action taken by Congressmen was to call back home and talk to businessman friends. C'mon! This is too important an event to focus on shortsighted views. Experts are needed. The big picture people are needed. Maybe they were consulted, but I didn't see much in that respect reported in the media. I wanted to hear from Warren Buffet, and other billionaires. I wanted to hear from leading economists. I wanted to hear from top CEOs, top wall street players, realtors, bankers, and world leaders. Instead, I got the impression that the Congress held itself up as more or less the expert, but that they mainly relied on pressures from constituents to guide them in their decision. I didn't hear any different kind of plan being considered, just enhancements, if you can call them that, of the original Paulson plan. Disgusted.
    Last edited by aslan; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    N.E. US
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I really haven't seen too many supporters of the bailout around here, and its not about rich friends either. Its really about a way of life and how one financially achieves that... either through the responsibility of knowing one's limits or, the welfare method... Guess who won?
    To err is human, to air is Jordan, to arrr is pirate.
    Theres plenty of face cards to make 20, but it takes an Ace to make Blackjack.

    Nickel & Dime them into Bankruptcy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N&B View Post
    I really haven't seen too many supporters of the bailout around here, and its not about rich friends either. Its really about a way of life and how one financially achieves that... either through the responsibility of knowing one's limits or, the welfare method... Guess who won?
    It certainly does crystallize the issue of personal responsibility versus government responsibility for the mistakes of its citizens.

    The problem had its genesis in the Clinton administration when we went from a policy of home mortgages for "everyone who is qualified" to home loans for "everyone." When you are even allowed to use welfare payments as proof of eligibility you know that something is wrong. It works while the housing market is on a positive track and homes are gaining in value, but when it goes the other way, the house of "bad mortgage cards" must fall. Government acted as an indulgent parent in encouraging the bad loans in the first place, and now is continuing its self-appointed role as indulgent parent in attempting to rescue the situation. Palin had it right when she said that government is often the problem and needs to get out of the way and let the individual and the nation prosper.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    N.E. US
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Reagan was right, too... those 9 most dangerous words attributed to him.
    To err is human, to air is Jordan, to arrr is pirate.
    Theres plenty of face cards to make 20, but it takes an Ace to make Blackjack.

    Nickel & Dime them into Bankruptcy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N&B View Post
    Reagan was right, too... those 9 most dangerous words attributed to him.
    If you're a government agent, you shouldn't shout these words in the hills of North Carolina where moonshiners abound.

    Name:  talk005.gif
Views: 75
Size:  348 BytesI'm from the government; I'm here to help you. Name:  violent043.gif
Views: 78
Size:  2.3 KB
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  6. #6

    Default

    my thinking and emotions are all over the place on this one.

    mainly i feel the people got betrayed.

    reminds me of a w.c. fields joke. "i once bought a talking dog from a ventriliquist... when the leash was handed to me, the upset dog turned and told the ventriliqist that he would never speak again."

    we bought the talking dog.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Against

    I would have approached the problem in a different way.

    For sure this signals the end of the US as a Hyper, even Super power. Maybe that is a good thing.

    In reality most of us deserve what we are about to receive. Not only for our fiscal idiocracy and greed but for our foreign policy debacles, sins, crimes.

    Just as all Germans were held responsible for the Nazi regime so shall all of us be held responsible for what has been done under the US banner.

    I have always been very frugal and conservative with my investments and never went into debt except for housing and cars. I never lusted after another countries resources and killed to attain them, nor did I support those who did. I buy American whenever given the opportunity and would clamp my powerfull jaws around the throat of the "Captains Of Industry" who shut US plants to get slave labor elsewhere(and the same goes for the guilty on Wall Street), and would enjoy the taste of that sweet, warm, red liquid Today, and for a long time, I have no debt. But I will suffer as an innocent along with all the guilty.

    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    my thinking and emotions are all over the place on this one.

    mainly i feel the people got betrayed.

    reminds me of a w.c. fields joke. "i once bought a talking dog from a ventriliquist... when the leash was handed to me, the upset dog turned and told the ventriliqist that he would never speak again."

    we bought the talking dog.
    Perfect!
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    I would have approached the problem in a different way.

    For sure this signals the end of the US as a Hyper, even Super power. Maybe that is a good thing.

    In reality most of us deserve what we are about to receive. Not only for our fiscal idiocracy and greed but for our foreign policy debacles, sins, crimes.

    Just as all Germans were held responsible for the Nazi regime so shall all of us be held responsible for what has been done under the US banner.

    I have always been very frugal and conservative with my investments and never went into debt except for housing and cars. I never lusted after another countries resources and killed to attain them, nor did I support those who did. I buy American whenever given the opportunity and would clamp my powerfull jaws around the throat of the "Captains Of Industry" who shut US plants to get slave labor elsewhere(and the same goes for the guilty on Wall Street), and would enjoy the taste of that sweet, warm, red liquid Today, and for a long time, I have no debt. But I will suffer as an innocent along with all the guilty.

    CP
    We are not done for as a super power, but the going will be rough and the dogs will attack when they see that we are weak. We will overcome.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Dogs

    Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    We are not done for as a super power, but the going will be rough and the dogs will attack when they see that we are weak. We will overcome.
    You mean the dogs we nurthered to be our enemy, that we created?

    Yes, there are plenty of those, unintended consequences, blowback.

    Our foreign policy stinks as bad as our economy

    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,050

    Default the 'bail out'

    my sense on the matter is that it was something that needed to be done regardless the question of those gaining unjustified profits. and regarding the question of need anyone suffer consequences in regard to wrongful actions i suspect that shall be taken care of one way or the other.
    best regards,
    mr fr0g MMOA honorary predator
    STRENGTH - HONOR - HEART
    that's my take on it your mileage may vary.
    for senior citizen fuzzy count click link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTiP4ZIUfI

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    You mean the dogs we nurthered to be our enemy, that we created?

    Yes, there are plenty of those, unintended consequences, blowback.

    Our foreign policy stinks as bad as our economy

    CP
    You can't blame the robbery victim because he stood up to the robber, notwithstanding that a little prudence goes a long way. The lines are drawn; no one comes to our side because they are persuaded by our courteousness, nor are they made to be our enemy because they feel slighted. We should not play tippy toe around our enemies because they might be encouraged to take earlier action. Don't mince words and don't depend on make-believe friendships to save us from ultimate deadly clashes. Speak forthrightly, don't hide your position, don't appease evil, don't be afraid to tell it like it is. The world only respects strength; our enemies love a wimpy approach to foreign policy because it buys them more time to develop and perfect their anti-American plans. Cowardice come in many forms, but one of them is not speaking truthfully and forthrightly at all times. Don't go out of your way to antagonize your enemies, but don't play pat-a-cake with them either. This is serious business, and not for the faint-hearted. You cannot "nurture" a righteous person nor a righteous nation into becoming your enemy. Evil comes from the heart of a person or a nation, not from another person's or nation's lack of diplomacy. The concept that other person's or other nation's actions against us are our fault is just a lot of far left crap. Know your enemies and deal with them from a position of strength. Then and only then they might be persuaded to become your friend.
    Last edited by aslan; October 4th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,502

    Default aslan

    Dear Aslan,

    Do you really believe that? That is far to simplistic thinking to be coming from you.

    You are smarter than that my friend.

    As a project your homework is to research the realtions between the US and Iran going back to 1940 and the US and Vietnam going back to 1939 and our relationship to Israel and the Palestinians going back to 1930.

    You may also research our treatment of Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.

    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    posting from Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeping panther View Post
    Dear Aslan,

    Do you really believe that? That is far to simplistic thinking to be coming from you.

    You are smarter than that my friend.

    As a project your homework is to research the realtions between the US and Iran going back to 1940 and the US and Vietnam going back to 1939 and our relationship to Israel and the Palestinians going back to 1930.

    You may also research our treatment of Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.

    CP
    You will argue that we had no good reason for our policies. You will argue that these were countries of good will and that we turned them against us by our actions.

    BTW, Russia is still a communist country, and communism is still the gravest threat to the free world today. Iran is a Russian puppet, and is a supporter of HAMAS. Palestine has never shown good will to Israel, our ally, and it was so from day one when the British ceded part of the territory it owned to be Israel's homeland. There is right and wrong on both sides--that does not need discussion. When all the smoke of discussion clears, Israel still has every right to exist and to defend itself against its enemies, Zionist doctrines aside.

    You obviously don't agree with the threat of communism against the democracies of the world, and that includes Russia and China and all their puppets and alliances, including Vietnam, Iran, and Palestine via Iran, and Syria. Communism is not a peaceful ideology that we will ever be able to peacefully coexist with. You are kidding yourself if you think they just want to live and let live. Your are opposed to the US, as you are against the longstanding policies of the US, and this is who we are as a people.
    Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 -8/23/10
    “There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church,
    but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
    Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

    “It takes a very long time to become young.” Pablo Picasso

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,502

    Default aslan

    You must be joking You cannot really believe what you just wrote. If you truly do, do the homework assignment I gave you and then we will talk inteligently.(And put away the koolAid).

    And...BTW the BlackHills are sacred land of the American Natives, until they were driven, forced off. Accepting your argument concerning Israel the Native Americans should be given back this large tract of land and all others, people not native, there forced out with no payment for their property. My great great Grandmother was a full blood Northern Cheyenne and I have been longing to return home to our ancestral, Holy, lands. It had been foretold by our great chief, Dull Knife, in a prophecy, that one day The Sacred Paha Sapa would once again be ours, as long as "The grass shall grow and the water flow". It is not good enough that I visit there every few years, no, it is my Sacred Land and all others must leave as I desire with all my heart to reside there for all time. No, I am not joking.

    Why does my tribe not have the same rights as that of Jews and Israel?



    CP
    "Midwest Masters Of Advantage", "Strength and Honor."

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Israeli search and rescue delegation heads to Haiti
    By aslan in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
  2. Where's the bill?
    By blackchipjim in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
  3. Sneaky New Draft Bill
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
  4. Boston Legal to the Rescue!! VIDEO
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2006, 12:51 AM
  5. The Bill of No Rights
    By zengrifter in forum ZenZone General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts